Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IEC visa for 10 months instead of 12, help

IEC visa for 10 months instead of 12, help

Old Jun 4th 2011, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

alistairsmith148 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC visa for 10 months instead of 12, help

hi

I just got my IEC visa, and i think some of my friends have had the same issue. are visas are only being valid up to the date we had to enter the country rather than the 12 months we should get.

So in my case, my visa is valid till march 2012, rather than June 2012, as I originally had until March 2012 to enter for my 12 months.

My friend had a similar issue. The immigration officer at the border said it was entered by the consolate so he couldnt change it, but i could ask later for an inland extension. Has anyone tried this yet, have a similar issue?
Old Jun 4th 2011, 11:28 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC visa for 10 months instead of 12, help

No, normally they grant you 12 months from date of entry. What you're describing sounds a bit odd to me.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 11:34 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah this sounds like bollocks, was your visa issued to you directly from the CIC or through Bunac and what is the validity of your current passport?

The LOI itself states the following:

** TO THE IMMIGRATION OFFICER : If the applicant is deemed **
** admissible, please issue an open work permit valid for 12 **
** months from the date of entry.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:03 am
Just Joined

It was directly through the cic and my passport has a while to go. As I said a friend also had the same issue. The date they allowed up to is the date I had to enter by on the loi. I said this to the immigration officer and he said they couldn't change it as it had been entered by the consolate, but I could apply for an inland extension, but I think SWAP said this was hard to do
Old Jun 5th 2011, 1:39 am
Sidecar Falcon

That just sounds like a mistake to me, where did you enter through just out of curiosity and have you spoken to the CIC about this since you got here?

I'm not calling you a liar at all but it's at complete odds with the information which they themselves have provided and it doesn't make sense.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 2:29 am
Just Joined

It is definitely a mistake, I assume someone in the consolate enetered something wrong on my file.
I only went to the border today so haven't had chance to phone cic yet. Hopefully I can get it corrected or extended as the officer said, anyone have experience in this?
Old Jun 5th 2011, 2:31 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by alistairsmith148
It is definitely a mistake, I assume someone in the consolate enetered something wrong on my file.
I only went to the border today so haven't had chance to phone cic yet. Hopefully I can get it corrected or extended as the officer said, anyone have experience in this?
I wouldn't have thought so (hopefully) but maybe have a look on the bunac work canada facebook group because if it is a common problem then it will almost definitely be recounted on there.

Did you fly in from Europe or come over the land border?