Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IEC Versus Work Permit- help please!!

IEC Versus Work Permit- help please!!

Old Mar 31st 2011, 6:19 am
Just Joined

caitlind is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy IEC Versus Work Permit- help please!!

Hi, I am a Canadian citizen by birth, but I've been living in Northern Ireland most of my life. My Irish partner and i have been planning moving to Vancouver and he has been offered a job as an Art Director/Graphic Designer there. His employers want him over as soon as possible, but with the threat of having to wait months for an LMO to come through (assuming it's positive) before we start the Work Permit process, we're starting to worry. It looks like it would take even longer for him to come in as my dependent.
I found the IEC through a thread here and it looks like we would be eligible to apply. Has anyone had any experience with this? Does this bypass the need to an LMO until it runs out? I take it his employer would have to re-advertise the post after a year, which is an obvious downfall. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Also, has anyone had recent experience with processing times for the LMO? I know it varies, but just to give an idea. Thanks for reading!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 6:38 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC Versus Work Permit- help please!!

have you and your partner been living togethre for a year or more?

if so you can sponsor them as PR , no work permit required. It is the easiest way to gain PR.

look at the wiki for spousal/commonlaw sponsorship or do a quick search for threads
Old Mar 31st 2011, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply. Yes, we're common law partners, but from my research it looks like it would take 8 months to get him into the country with my sponsorship. I think the Work Permit is the fastest option, but because of the LMO, it could still be very slow. I can't find the application form for the Irish IEC application online anywhere, I keep getting redirected to the French application, so that may be a false lead after all! Serious headache material!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:02 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by caitlind
Thanks for the reply. Yes, we're common law partners, but from my research it looks like it would take 8 months to get him into the country with my sponsorship. I think the Work Permit is the fastest option, but because of the LMO, it could still be very slow. I can't find the application form for the Irish IEC application online anywhere, I keep getting redirected to the French application, so that may be a false lead after all! Serious headache material!
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng

Although if he has been in the UK for a while (3 years I think), he may well have to apply under the UK equivalent. IEC visa will suffice for the year though, no LMO necessary

You may as well also start the PR Common-law sponsorship - details are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...sor/spouse.asp
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:07 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

even if you use the LMO as the quick route in , Spousal PR is completely worthwhile going for.

Once it comes through , you won't have to worry baout expiring work permits , LMOs etc. Even if both of you decided to leave Canada for an extended peiod of time , your partner won't can still maintain their status as long as they are with you.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:07 am
Just Joined

Thanks BTJ. That is the site we've been on, but when he tries to apply it says he doesn't meet the eligibility criteria as he's 31 years old, even though it states clearly in the rules that for Irish application it is 18-35! I don't know if it's a problem with the site or with the rules
It seemed like the perfect option. I've mailed them about it, but who knows when I'll get a response! *Weeps*
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:13 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Thanks BTJ. That is the site we've been on, but when he tries to apply it says he doesn't meet the eligibility criteria as he's 31 years old, even though it states clearly in the rules that for Irish application it is 18-35! I don't know if it's a problem with the site or with the rules
It seemed like the perfect option. I've mailed them about it, but who knows when I'll get a response! *Weeps*
How odd... Oh and as for the French thing, I believe the UK and Irish IEC applications are being handled in Paris this year, as they are transitioning over from the previous third-party organisations who managed it. Apparently going at least back to London (and perhaps Dublin) next year...not that that matters to you.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

stacey.cook1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am a Canadian citizen by birth, but I've been living in Northern Ireland most of my life. My Irish partner and i have been planning moving to Vancouver and he has been offered a job as an Art Director/Graphic Designer there. His employers want him over as soon as possible, but with the threat of having to wait months for an LMO to come through (assuming it's positive) before we start the Work Permit process, we're starting to worry. It looks like it would take even longer for him to come in as my dependent.
I found the IEC through a thread here and it looks like we would be eligible to apply. Has anyone had any experience with this? Does this bypass the need to an LMO until it runs out? I take it his employer would have to re-advertise the post after a year, which is an obvious downfall. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Also, has anyone had recent experience with processing times for the LMO? I know it varies, but just to give an idea. Thanks for reading!
The IEC is definelty the best way to go, we came out with BUNAC which is the same thing, got jobs and then had to get an LMO to stay after the year was over. IEC is an 'open' work and travel visa so he would not need an LMO to work for any company. This would cover him for a year until you went through spousal sponsership etc.
Had my LMO done in October, took around 3 weeks form date of application for them to call my boss and then took another 2 weeks to get a decsion. It is stresfull and hard to get approved mine got declined on the first go and had to appeal it. Go with the IEC and save yourselves a lot of stress and uncertainty! I 'think' this is the Irish link: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...e/IEC-EIC.aspx
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Yes, the IEC seems like a MUCH less stressful way to do it! Good to hear positive feedback on it. I've found a thread on a site which mentions the 18-35 issue for Ireland, it seems if you phone the Embassy in Dublin, they will confirm that it is indeed 18-35! Which is promising. Thanks for the advice everyone!! Fingers crossed.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:35 am
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

I dont' know about IEC, but the old BUNAC work permits you are disqualified from the application if you have a Canadian spouse or common-law partner. So I would double check that IEC is even a viable option.

The website says Spousal sponsorship takes 8 months, but I put my application in to sponsor my Scotish Common-law partner and it took 3.5 months to get the passport request. Likely just over 4 months by the time we get his passport back. Which makes him a Permanent Resident of Canada, he won't have to apply for any more visas.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

2-4 months is about the norm these days for an outland spousal sponsorship application - have a look in the Wiki for info on outland v inland.

Old Mar 31st 2011, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

common law partners are no longer a problem with IEC.

apply to IEC and you'll have your visa within about 8 weeks of sending off your application. You can also apply next year to give you 2 years in total whilst you wait for your common law application to process
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

We phone the embassy in Dublin, who confirmed the age limit of 35 for Ireland. Woohoo!
So we're going to go the IEC route and as advised, apply for spousal sponsorship too. I just hope it all goes speedily. Thanks for the advice everyone.