British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   IEC Travel Insurance - short stay, can I buy 2 policies? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/iec-travel-insurance-short-stay-can-i-buy-2-policies-922047/)

acku9102 Feb 14th 2019 2:29 am

IEC Travel Insurance - short stay, can I buy 2 policies?

Hi everyone,

I will be travelling to Canada in the coming weeks to activate my IEC Work Permit. However, due to work-related circumstances, I won't be working in Canada right away. I will be visiting Canada for only a week so that I can get my work permit but I will return to the UK afterwards to finish up some work and will return to Canada at a later date (to be determined).

I understand that I need the two years worth of travel insurance to cover the length of the Work Permit (as stated by Immigration Canada website) but the cost of 2 years travel insurance is quite big, and seeing that I won't be in Canada for quite some time, it seems like the coverage is going to waste.

My question is, is it possible to buy two travel insurance policies such that the coverage purchased from both will cover the duration of the two years i.e. can I buy a policy for 1-2 weeks (covers my 1 week stay in Canada) and a second policy that extends from the third week to the end of the second year of the work permit? The reason for this is to show that I do have the necessary funds to purchase two years' travel insurance for the length of the work permit but I know some companies will allow a full refund on the premium if the customer changes their mind so long as the coverage is not in effect. So when I return to the UK after my 1 week in Canada I am hoping I can cancel the second policy.

Any comments will be truly helpful, thank you all.

PMM Feb 14th 2019 5:52 am

Re: IEC Travel Insurance - short stay, can I buy 2 policies?

Hi

Originally Posted by acku9102 (Post 12636827)
Hi everyone,

I will be travelling to Canada in the coming weeks to activate my IEC Work Permit. However, due to work-related circumstances, I won't be working in Canada right away. I will be visiting Canada for only a week so that I can get my work permit but I will return to the UK afterwards to finish up some work and will return to Canada at a later date (to be determined).

I understand that I need the two years worth of travel insurance to cover the length of the Work Permit (as stated by Immigration Canada website) but the cost of 2 years travel insurance is quite big, and seeing that I won't be in Canada for quite some time, it seems like the coverage is going to waste.

My question is, is it possible to buy two travel insurance policies such that the coverage purchased from both will cover the duration of the two years i.e. can I buy a policy for 1-2 weeks (covers my 1 week stay in Canada) and a second policy that extends from the third week to the end of the second year of the work permit? The reason for this is to show that I do have the necessary funds to purchase two years' travel insurance for the length of the work permit but I know some companies will allow a full refund on the premium if the customer changes their mind so long as the coverage is not in effect. So when I return to the UK after my 1 week in Canada I am hoping I can cancel the second policy.

Any comments will be truly helpful, thank you all.

1. No, you need the 2 years worth of insurance when you activate your work permit. CBSA isn't going to take your word that you intend to leave shortly.

"
The border services officer may ask you for proof of health insurance.

You may be refused entry if you do not have insurance.

Your insurance must cover:
  • medical care,
  • hospitalization, and
  • repatriation (returning you to your country in the event of severe illness, injury or death).
When you arrive at the port of entry, you must have health insurance valid for your entire stay in Canada. Having a valid provincial health card is not enough. Repatriation is not covered by provincial health insurance.If your insurance policy is valid for less than your expected stay, you will be issued a work permit that expires at the same time as your insurance. If this happens, you will not be able to apply to change the conditions of your work permit at a later date."

christmasoompa Feb 14th 2019 8:06 am

Re: IEC Travel Insurance - short stay, can I buy 2 policies?

Yep, as said above you do need 2 years of travel insurance as you won't be granted the visa without it. And welcome to the forum.