IEC to Temporary Work Permit?

Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

michty6 is on a distinguished road
Default IEC to Temporary Work Permit?

I crossed back into Canada this week and the lady on the immigration counter (I got sent for extra verification!) was telling me something interesting that I hadn't heard of but wanted to run by this forum.

I am in Canada on the IEC until the end of 2012. I already have another 1 year IEC application accepted, which I will used for 2013. In the meantime, my sponsorship permanent residency application has passed Stage 1 (eligibility to sponsor confirmed) in Canada and has been sent off to London.

The lady at the counter told me that, having passed Stage 1, I can apply for a work permit which will replace my IEC visa and this work permit will be valid until they make the decision on my application at Stage 2. This will mean I won't have to use my 2nd IEC permit and can add it back into the 'quota'. Obviously the risk would be that if my visa is denied I might lose some time in Canada.

That risk aside, is this process correct? If so how do I go about doing it?

One other kind of obscure question. Just now, as a temporary resident on the IEC visa, I have a SIN number beginning with 9. Does anyone know if this is also the case on this temporary work permit?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC to Temporary Work Permit?

Can't help with your visa question but YES on a TWP your SIN still starts with a 9. It changes once you've got PR status.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

firstchoice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IEC to Temporary Work Permit?

Unfortunately, what the lady at the counter is referring to only applies when you sponsorship application is done inside Canada. In that case you can obtain an open work permit at First Stage Approval.

It may be some consolation to you however to know that you are probably doing the sponsorship the correct way. For one thing, applications processed inside Canada tend to take longer than those processed outside Canada.