On IEC, switching to Tourist

Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

jennlitt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: On IEC, switching to Tourist

Hi, I'm getting a little worried about being on 'implied status'. I want to make sure I am not staying in the country illegally and ruining any chance I have of entering the country again.

My 2nd IEC working holiday visa expired on July 4th. I put in an online application to the CIC to change to a visitor visa on June 1st and have heard nothing from them. I stopped working on July 4th and have just been in Toronto. Is this ok? Should I have flag-polled.

I'm worrying as the IEC visa seems to have such different rules to other visas. Just looking for some re-assurance or someone to tell me to leave canada asap.
Thanks!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennlitt
Hi, I'm getting a little worried about being on 'implied status'. I want to make sure I am not staying in the country illegally and ruining any chance I have of entering the country again.

My 2nd IEC working holiday visa expired on July 4th. I put in an online application to the CIC to change to a visitor visa on June 1st and have heard nothing from them. I stopped working on July 4th and have just been in Toronto. Is this ok? Should I have flag-polled.

I'm worrying as the IEC visa seems to have such different rules to other visas. Just looking for some re-assurance or someone to tell me to leave canada asap.
Thanks!
Dont be worried, what you did is exactly right.

I am in a similar situation to you, my 2nd IEC expires at the end of this month and am waiting for my PR. Thought I had to go to the border to flagpole then found out you can do it online. If I read it correctly it is for anyone on a work permit, and the IEC is a form of work permit.

This is direct from the CIC website.

Implied statusIf your temporary resident visa expires after you have submitted your application for an extension of your authorization to remain in Canada, you will be considered in status as a temporary resident until a decision is made on the application. This is known as an Implied Status.

This applies directly to both of us as we have completed the application before our current visas run out.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

jennlitt is an unknown quantity at this point

Great, thank you so much, I shall now rest easy until I hear from them.