IEC to study permit

Old May 7th 2016, 7:46 am
PottsyJ

Joepottinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC to study permit

Hi all,

I have spent the past year or so asking questions on here about possible chances of getting PR through my work. Turns out my score isn't good enough so I am now considering going for a study permit and going to university in Canada.

My IEC work permit expires next April and I am just wondering should I be looking to enroll in September of this year and cutting my work permit short or better going for the September of 2017?

Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Old May 7th 2016, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC to study permit

What would you be doing for the gap between work permit expiring and Uni starting which is about 5 months?
If granted a study permit at a DIL you can work 20 hrs per week during classes or full time between semesters.
If staying in Canada you would need to switch over to visitor status after April if not enrolling until Sep 2017 and of course you wouldn't be able to work for that 5 months.
Old May 7th 2016, 9:45 am
PottsyJ

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
What would you be doing for the gap between work permit expiring and Uni starting which is about 5 months?
If granted a study permit at a DIL you can work 20 hrs per week during classes or full time between semesters.
If staying in Canada you would need to switch over to visitor status after April if not enrolling until Sep 2017 and of course you wouldn't be able to work for that 5 months.
I am from Scotland so half wondered continuing working for the company I am currently working for in Scotland until September of 2017 and then go back over and continue living with my girlfriend in Canada. I can't actually work in Canada for my career as Transport Canada makes the rules such that other nationalities cannot be seafarers for Canada unless a PR or landed immigrant.

The other option is to quit with my current company early and apply this year.

Thanks.
Old May 7th 2016, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I know you've written about this before, but why isn't spousal sponsorship an option?

S
Old May 7th 2016, 9:45 pm
PottsyJ

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I know you've written about this before, but why isn't spousal sponsorship an option?

S

Would rather not tie myself to one person incase we break up, if I can stay for longer through a different route.
Old May 8th 2016, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You can hold an IEC Work Permit and a Study Permit at the same time:

Can I hold a study permit and a work permit at the same time under International Experience Canada (IEC)?

If you apply for a Study Permit while your Work Permit is valid, the application is processed inside Canada; if you are a visitor, the application is an outside Canada application in most cases (the form is different).

S

Last edited by Snowy560; May 8th 2016 at 4:07 am.
Old May 8th 2016, 10:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joepottinger
Would rather not tie myself to one person incase we break up, if I can stay for longer through a different route.
Just to clarify, you say 'if I can stay for longer through a different route', but if your gf sponsored you, that would be for PR - i.e. you'd get to stay forever if you wanted!
Old May 9th 2016, 4:58 am
PottsyJ

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just to clarify, you say 'if I can stay for longer through a different route', but if your gf sponsored you, that would be for PR - i.e. you'd get to stay forever if you wanted!
Thank for the reply.
The reason I don't want to go down that route is that I work at sea on a month on month off basis. Therefore if we went down the common law route I would have to quit my job which is a much bigger income than hers and rely on her pay for a whole year as I would only probably get a job in a cafe or bar or such.

That would only take me to the sponsorship time, the whole process would take another up to 18 months after that where I wouldnt be able to work. So in total I would be without my better income for 2 and a half year possibly.
Old May 9th 2016, 6:20 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joepottinger
Thank for the reply.
The reason I don't want to go down that route is that I work at sea on a month on month off basis. Therefore if we went down the common law route I would have to quit my job which is a much bigger income than hers and rely on her pay for a whole year as I would only probably get a job in a cafe or bar or such.

That would only take me to the sponsorship time, the whole process would take another up to 18 months after that where I wouldnt be able to work. So in total I would be without my better income for 2 and a half year possibly.
Not if you applied "outland" (which you can do, even if you are residing in Canada) - processing time is 6-10 months. However, getting to the point of being in a common-law relationship (residing together 'as if married' continuously for a minimum of 12 months) could be your biggest barrier I think, particularly if you are away for a month at a time at your job.

If you got married, on the other hand....

Old May 9th 2016, 6:25 am
PottsyJ

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Not if you applied "outland" (which you can do, even if you are residing in Canada) - processing time is 6-10 months. However, getting to the point of being in a common-law relationship (residing together 'as if married' continuously for a minimum of 12 months) could be your biggest barrier I think, particularly if you are away for a month at a time at your job.

If you got married, on the other hand....

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah thats the biggest barrier is not being able to do common law. I am not willing to marry someone just for PR. I would only want that to be when I am ready and my girlfriend the same. Thats why I think a study permit is the best option.
Old May 9th 2016, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

If you have the financial means to study in Canada, I think you are being very sensible.

Your relationship is more likely to progress and survive if you don't add in the stress of doing something you are not ready for.

If you decide to go the SP route, eligibility for a post graduate work permit is a possibility (if you study at right type of institution on the right type of course). The university you are thinking of applying to will no doubt have an international department who can give you information about this.

S