IEC to study permit

Old May 7th 2016, 7:46 am
  #1  
PottsyJ
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 254
Joepottinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC to study permit

Hi all,

I have spent the past year or so asking questions on here about possible chances of getting PR through my work. Turns out my score isn't good enough so I am now considering going for a study permit and going to university in Canada.

My IEC work permit expires next April and I am just wondering should I be looking to enroll in September of this year and cutting my work permit short or better going for the September of 2017?

Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Joepottinger is offline  
Old May 7th 2016, 9:34 am
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,875
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC to study permit

What would you be doing for the gap between work permit expiring and Uni starting which is about 5 months?
If granted a study permit at a DIL you can work 20 hrs per week during classes or full time between semesters.
If staying in Canada you would need to switch over to visitor status after April if not enrolling until Sep 2017 and of course you wouldn't be able to work for that 5 months.
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old May 7th 2016, 9:45 am
  #3  
PottsyJ
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 254
Joepottinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IEC to study permit

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
What would you be doing for the gap between work permit expiring and Uni starting which is about 5 months?
If granted a study permit at a DIL you can work 20 hrs per week during classes or full time between semesters.
If staying in Canada you would need to switch over to visitor status after April if not enrolling until Sep 2017 and of course you wouldn't be able to work for that 5 months.
I am from Scotland so half wondered continuing working for the company I am currently working for in Scotland until September of 2017 and then go back over and continue living with my girlfriend in Canada. I can't actually work in Canada for my career as Transport Canada makes the rules such that other nationalities cannot be seafarers for Canada unless a PR or landed immigrant.

The other option is to quit with my current company early and apply this year.

Thanks.
Joepottinger is offline  
Old May 7th 2016, 10:02 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Snowy560's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 3,266
Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC to study permit

I know you've written about this before, but why isn't spousal sponsorship an option?

S
Snowy560 is offline  
Old May 7th 2016, 9:45 pm
  #5  
PottsyJ
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 254
Joepottinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IEC to study permit

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I know you've written about this before, but why isn't spousal sponsorship an option?

S

Would rather not tie myself to one person incase we break up, if I can stay for longer through a different route.
Joepottinger is offline  
Old May 8th 2016, 3:44 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Snowy560's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 3,266
Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC to study permit

You can hold an IEC Work Permit and a Study Permit at the same time:

Can I hold a study permit and a work permit at the same time under International Experience Canada (IEC)?

If you apply for a Study Permit while your Work Permit is valid, the application is processed inside Canada; if you are a visitor, the application is an outside Canada application in most cases (the form is different).


S

Last edited by Snowy560; May 8th 2016 at 4:07 am.
Snowy560 is offline  
Old May 8th 2016, 10:39 pm
  #7  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,166
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC to study permit

Originally Posted by Joepottinger
Would rather not tie myself to one person incase we break up, if I can stay for longer through a different route.
Just to clarify, you say 'if I can stay for longer through a different route', but if your gf sponsored you, that would be for PR - i.e. you'd get to stay forever if you wanted!
christmasoompa is offline  
Old May 9th 2016, 4:58 am
  #8  
PottsyJ
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 254
Joepottinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IEC to study permit

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just to clarify, you say 'if I can stay for longer through a different route', but if your gf sponsored you, that would be for PR - i.e. you'd get to stay forever if you wanted!
Thank for the reply.
The reason I don't want to go down that route is that I work at sea on a month on month off basis. Therefore if we went down the common law route I would have to quit my job which is a much bigger income than hers and rely on her pay for a whole year as I would only probably get a job in a cafe or bar or such.

That would only take me to the sponsorship time, the whole process would take another up to 18 months after that where I wouldnt be able to work. So in total I would be without my better income for 2 and a half year possibly.
Joepottinger is offline  
Old May 9th 2016, 6:20 am
  #9  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC to study permit

Originally Posted by Joepottinger
Thank for the reply.
The reason I don't want to go down that route is that I work at sea on a month on month off basis. Therefore if we went down the common law route I would have to quit my job which is a much bigger income than hers and rely on her pay for a whole year as I would only probably get a job in a cafe or bar or such.

That would only take me to the sponsorship time, the whole process would take another up to 18 months after that where I wouldnt be able to work. So in total I would be without my better income for 2 and a half year possibly.
Not if you applied "outland" (which you can do, even if you are residing in Canada) - processing time is 6-10 months. However, getting to the point of being in a common-law relationship (residing together 'as if married' continuously for a minimum of 12 months) could be your biggest barrier I think, particularly if you are away for a month at a time at your job.

If you got married, on the other hand....

Siouxie is offline  
Old May 9th 2016, 6:25 am
  #10  
PottsyJ
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 254
Joepottinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IEC to study permit

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Not if you applied "outland" (which you can do, even if you are residing in Canada) - processing time is 6-10 months. However, getting to the point of being in a common-law relationship (residing together 'as if married' continuously for a minimum of 12 months) could be your biggest barrier I think, particularly if you are away for a month at a time at your job.

If you got married, on the other hand....

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah thats the biggest barrier is not being able to do common law. I am not willing to marry someone just for PR. I would only want that to be when I am ready and my girlfriend the same. Thats why I think a study permit is the best option.
Joepottinger is offline  
Old May 9th 2016, 10:18 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Snowy560's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 3,266
Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC to study permit

If you have the financial means to study in Canada, I think you are being very sensible.

Your relationship is more likely to progress and survive if you don't add in the stress of doing something you are not ready for.

If you decide to go the SP route, eligibility for a post graduate work permit is a possibility (if you study at right type of institution on the right type of course). The university you are thinking of applying to will no doubt have an international department who can give you information about this.

S
Snowy560 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.