Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IEC and student visa passport query

IEC and student visa passport query

Old Mar 5th 2017, 2:42 am
Just Joined

tl266 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC and student visa passport query

Hi all,

Looking at going over to Canada next year and have a question RE passport expiration.

My plan is to go over on the IEC program for just under 2 years, which would be followed by a further 2 years of study which I would apply for before leaving the UK and defer entry for a year to allow time to work prior. I am working on the assumption that I can go through the process to attain the student visa whilst in Canada.

My problem is that my passport will expire in 2021, not exactly just around the corner, but this would fall halfway through my period of study. I am unsure what the procedure would be for renewing it whilst in Canada, or indeed if this would be possible. I am considering ordering a new passport before I even apply for the IEC as the CIC page requires inputting your passport details.

I would greatly appreciate anyone's advice on what the best course of action for me to take would be.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC and student visa passport query

Originally Posted by tl266
Hi all,

Looking at going over to Canada next year and have a question RE passport expiration.

My plan is to go over on the IEC program for just under 2 years, which would be followed by a further 2 years of study which I would apply for before leaving the UK and defer entry for a year to allow time to work prior. I am working on the assumption that I can go through the process to attain the student visa whilst in Canada.

My problem is that my passport will expire in 2021, not exactly just around the corner, but this would fall halfway through my period of study. I am unsure what the procedure would be for renewing it whilst in Canada, or indeed if this would be possible. I am considering ordering a new passport before I even apply for the IEC as the CIC page requires inputting your passport details.

I would greatly appreciate anyone's advice on what the best course of action for me to take would be.
Step 1. Apply for the IEC and if accepted you get a 2 year work permit.
Step 2. You would have to apply for the Study Permit at a visa office outside of Canada although the application can be sent from within Canada. It has to be a DLI and if accepted and meeting the criteria IRCC would issue a letter similar to the LOI for the IEC. You simply then make a short trip to the USA present the letter and then issued the Study Permit.

All UK passport renewals from outside of the UK are done by applying and sending the info to the UK.

Info on Study Permits

Study in Canada

Info on renewing a UK passport when outside the UK

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Mar 5th 2017, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a current work permit (i.e. not expired) and you are working/living in Canada (e.g. IEC) you are eligible to apply for a study permit from within Canada (i.e. it will be processed in Canada, rather than at a visa office outside) but you'll be applying for that some months before your work permit expires. You will apply to 'change conditions' when the time comes. Note: as a UK citizen, you cannot go to the border to apply: you will apply online.

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 5th 2017 at 3:56 am.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Many thanks for the fast responses, so the way I'm interpreting it is that while out there I can apply for the study visa then use the 'change conditions' process to switch the IEC visa over to the study visa, and this can be done online?
Old Mar 5th 2017, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for the fast responses, so the way I'm interpreting it is that while out there I can apply for the study visa then use the 'change conditions' process to switch the IEC visa over to the study visa, and this can be done online?

They're not visas: they're permits. No you're not switching one over. Towards the end of your stay as a worker, you'll be applying to extend your status and change conditions to that of a student. You can work while your WP is valid.

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 5th 2017 at 10:46 am.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 5:23 am
Just Joined

Ok thanks, sorry I've got in a bad habit of just writing visa when I mean permit. Going to have to stop doing that soon!

Quickly RE passports, can I just confirm that it will definitely be safe to renew for the study permit while in Canada without messing up the IEC? Just really paranoid as I know they won't allow you to have the IEC permit for longer than when your passport is valid for and can't find much information on policy for renewing while already on another permit.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks, sorry I've got in a bad habit of just writing visa when I mean permit. Going to have to stop doing that soon!

Quickly RE passports, can I just confirm that it will definitely be safe to renew for the study permit while in Canada without messing up the IEC? Just really paranoid as I know they won't allow you to have the IEC permit for longer than when your passport is valid for and can't find much information on policy for renewing while already on another permit.

Thanks again!
Once you have any permit be it work/study you simply send off the passport for renewal. A permit will not be issued for longer than the validity of a passport e.g. a 4 year study permit and passport only valid for 2. Nobody gets an IEC work permit for more than 2 years. You are somewhat overthinking this.
Changing passports has no affect on a valid work/study permit.