British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   IEC spouse accompanying to Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/iec-spouse-accompanying-canada-907201/)

jammydo Dec 26th 2017 9:32 am

IEC spouse accompanying to Canada

I am filling out the IMM5707E form. I need to know if I should put that my husband is accompanying me to Canada.

Background:
My husband is planning on coming to Canada with me but on his own working permit he is planning on getting from a friends company. (My husband is Korean and I am a British citizen)

As the rules on the IEC state that a spouse cannot accompany you, I am worried that if I put that "yes" he is accompanying me, my application will be outright rejected.

If I put "no" and he flies out with me - will immigration refuse entry should they decide that I have lied on my application and my husband is in fact coming with me to Canada?

We are planning on getting PR status whilst out there (I have an open EE profile) and so we don't plan on having exiting flights out of Canada.

If I put "no" could he fly in a week later and visit on either a "visitor" visa or once he has his work permit from his friends company, on his own work permit visa.

I am worried that as my application has my spouse information on it and I put not accompanying, it will look suspicious?

I really don't want to F this up.

Aviator Dec 26th 2017 4:14 pm

Re: IEC spouse accompanying to Canada

Originally Posted by jammydo (Post 12405285)
My husband is planning on coming to Canada with me but on his own working permit he is planning on getting from a friends company.

He does not get a work permit from a company, only CIC can give that out. Does this job already have the LMIA approved, or is the friend trying to get it approved, as it has to be advertised and hire Canadians or PR first!

christmasoompa Dec 26th 2017 4:19 pm

Not sure where you've read that a spouse cannot accompany you on the IEC, but that's not correct.

As so many LMIA's are refused these days, I certainly wouldn't count on him getting a work permit from his friends company (I assume he has the experience & qualifications to do the job?), so I'd have him as accompanying you just in case. At least then he can be with you, and work if you get a skilled job.

HTH.

jammydo Dec 27th 2017 1:06 am

Not sure where you've read that a spouse cannot accompany you on the IEC, but that's not correct.

According to the CIC website, my husband cannot accompany me and get a work permit, unless I am misunderstanding. (there is a link I cannot post here because I am a new user)

Would you be able to further clarify or point me to another source.

I am not sure about the details of the LMIA but my husband seems certain he can get it.

jammydo Dec 27th 2017 1:07 am

According to the CIC website, my husband cannot accompany me and get a work permit, unless I am misunderstanding. (there is a link I cannot post here because I am a new user)

Would you be able to further clarify or point me to another source.

I am not sure about the details of the LMIA but my husband seems certain he can get it.

Snowy560 Dec 27th 2017 1:15 am

See the following

Applicant not accompanied by dependants
Under the IEC program requirements, applicants may not include any dependants (i.e., spouses, common-law partners, or children) on their application to benefit from the IEC program. This means that an applicant and their family members may not benefit from the IEC program as a family unit under one IEC application. However, this does not prevent spouses or common-law partners, dependant(s) from submitting their own individual request to come to Canada (e.g., spouse may submit their own application to benefit from the IEC program).

IRCC has no specific policy prohibiting spouses and dependants of IEC participants from joining them in Canada. However, the spouse and dependant(s) must be admissible to Canada on their own merits.

The spouse or common-law partner of an IEC participant is not eligible to obtain an open work permit by virtue of the participant’s IEC application. However, the spouse or common-law partner can apply for an open work permit if the IEC candidate is approved to work in Canada for six months or longer and is working in a job at skill level 0, A or B in the National Occupational Classification (NOC).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...igibility.html

Regarding an LMIA: your husband doesn't get an LMIA: the Employer gets one. And there is no certainty about the process other than a significant refusal rate.

jammydo Dec 27th 2017 1:26 am

Thanks for the speedy response. I have to say that quote seems to be contradicting itself? It's saying a spouse can't apply for an OWP but then it says the spouse can if "IEC candidate is approved to work in Canada for 6 months or longer and is working in a job at skill level 0, A or B in the National Occupational Classification (NOC)"

So, as a British citizen who will get 24 months permit for IEC, all I would have to do is get a job working in a NOC 0,A,B and my husband could get an OWP?

That almost sounds too easy.

IF that is the case, should I put him as "accompanying" on my application?

Aviator Dec 27th 2017 2:36 am

Originally Posted by jammydo (Post 12405491)

Your husband cannot get a LMIA, only the employer can apply for that, with the $1000 application fee and it must be paid by the employer.

To try for a LMIA the employer must advertise the job across Canada and try to hire Canadian or PR first. Only if they are unable to find a suitable candidate in Canada does a LMIA application stand a chance of success. It is not unknown for an application to be refused.

No more is this a case of going though the motions, ESDC may well ask for details of all applicants and why they were not suitable. They also require evidence of when and where the advertisements were placed and for how long.

Jobs offered to family and friends of the applicant often receive greater scrutiny.

A lot also depends on what your husband does for a living. If he is in a highly skilled, in demand profession, that is in short supply in Canada, that helps. What does he do?

Siouxie Dec 27th 2017 2:38 am

Originally Posted by jammydo (Post 12405495)
Thanks for the speedy response. I have to say that quote seems to be contradicting itself? It's saying a spouse can't apply for an OWP but then it says the spouse can if "IEC candidate is approved to work in Canada for 6 months or longer and is working in a job at skill level 0, A or B in the National Occupational Classification (NOC)"

So, as a British citizen who will get 24 months permit for IEC, all I would have to do is get a job working in a NOC 0,A,B and my husband could get an OWP?

IF that is the case, should I put him as "accompanying" on my application?

Yes, if you get a job that is NOC O/A/B your husband can get an OWP on the back of it.

:)

Aviator Dec 27th 2017 2:50 am

Originally Posted by jammydo (Post 12405495)

Provided you qualify and have the skill set for a job in O A or B and you can secure a job in one of those sectors. I would not count on anything to do with getting a job as 'too easy'. You may have to take whatever you can get to start out. I know of PR holders taking menial jobs at the outset.

One thing with IEC from an employers perspective is that it is temporary, so a local with longer term prospects is a more attractive proposition. Unless you have a very special skill set, another challenge is overcoming the Canadian experience hurdle in more senior positions.

What is your occupation?

jammydo Dec 27th 2017 2:59 am

It sounds like I will focus on me getting a O, A or B skilled job and then getting my husband a OWP on the back of that, the LMIA sounds like it will be especially tricky. I don't know the details-will have to do some research but we hear back after New Year if it will be a possibility at least.

I am a real estate administrator with 4 years experience. NOC code B I believe (1224).

I have an on going EE profile open and plan to explain that should I get a job in real estate that would help secure me enough points to be able to obtain my PR and therefore show "longer term prospects" in Canada to employers.

I know it won't be easy per say, but I am determined and know what kind of job I want to get. This IEC is for me to get Canadian work experience to bolder my PR application points (currently I have 415 points and I know I need around 450 at least to be considered).

Siouxie Dec 27th 2017 4:42 am

Originally Posted by jammydo (Post 12405510)
It sounds like I will focus on me getting a O, A or B skilled job and then getting my husband a OWP on the back of that, the LMIA sounds like it will be especially tricky. I don't know the details-will have to do some research but we hear back after New Year if it will be a possibility at least.

I am a real estate administrator with 4 years experience. NOC code B I believe (1224).

I have an on going EE profile open and plan to explain that should I get a job in real estate that would help secure me enough points to be able to obtain my PR and therefore show "longer term prospects" in Canada to employers.

I know it won't be easy per say, but I am determined and know what kind of job I want to get. This IEC is for me to get Canadian work experience to bolder my PR application points (currently I have 415 points and I know I need around 450 at least to be considered).

Would your current job be classed as real estate office administrator, administrative assistant or property administrator? A property administrator deals mainly with rental or leasehold properties and is a very specific job which is regulated in all Provinces. In order to 'claim' the NOC code, you must have experience in most of the duties listed. If you work as an office administrator for an Estate Agent, I think your NOC is most likely to be 1221 or 1241, unless you deal specifically with rental and leasehold properties. Do check the duties listed under each NOC code and ascertain which is closest to your experience.

A property administrator NOC 1224 (B)
1224 Property administrators

An office administrator (officer) would be NOC 1221 (B)
1221 Administrative officers

An office administrative assistant would be 1241 (B)
1241 Administrative assistants

https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/report-eng...atedOccupation (look under 'Canada' tab for details of registration).

For jobs, you would need to look under 'Real Estate Administrator' for something similar to a UK Estate Agent Office Administrator.

https://ca.indeed.com/Real-Estate-Ad...75cd3de1375ae3

Unless you have certification as an Office Administrator, you may find it harder than you think to obtain work - I know many very experienced (and some Canadian) Office Administrators who have struggled to find work without certification (myself included). Do also bear in mind that the real estate sales system is very different here than in the UK - more like the Scottish system.

jammydo Dec 27th 2017 10:39 am

My job most certainly closely matches property administrator. I have experience in most fields of administration (office manager, receptionist, office administrator etc) but I have most experience in rental tenancies. I have UK qualifications but I assume that no Canadian employer is going to care about my NFoPP so I will just do my best to secure a job with my experience.

Siouxie Dec 27th 2017 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by jammydo (Post 12405586)
My job most certainly closely matches property administrator. I have experience in most fields of administration (office manager, receptionist, office administrator etc) but I have most experience in rental tenancies. I have UK qualifications but I assume that no Canadian employer is going to care about my NFoPP so I will just do my best to secure a job with my experience.

:fingerscrossed: it all works out for you..

Which Province are you hoping to go to?

jammydo Dec 29th 2017 5:42 am

Ontario! I know it's hard but husband has a job offer in Toronto (should his employer be able to get an LMIA)