Atlantic Immigration Pilot

Old Dec 28th 2017, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

sidjoloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Atlantic Immigration Pilot

Has anyone had any success whatsoever finding work via the AIP? It sounds like a great way of advancing from EE (not enough points!), but how on earth can you find one of the designated employers?
Everytime I apply for a job, I am told that I need PR or a work permit before I can apply or be interviewed, am I missing something here?
Old Dec 28th 2017, 3:50 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Atlantic Immigration Pilot

I'm assuming you've read this? https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ndorsment.html It seems that the onus is on the potential immigrant to find one of these "designated employers" and, rather bizarrely I'd agree, no master list of designated employers is published. For a programme designed to increase the number of immigrants to an area that is crying out for them, that seems unnecessarily obtuse.

Google tells me that over 50 employers are on the list (although I say I cant find that list) and even today a local news report here in NL lauds the progress made... VOCM - Province Hitting Immigration Goals It seems that in this part of the world at least, the focus is on aquaculture and agricultural workers. The former likely means fishplant workers from Thailand.

Should Newfoundland appeal, perhaps there is a contact through the NL immigration website that can help? en - Immigrate to Newfoundland and Labrador
Old Dec 28th 2017, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

willmissthebeeronly is an unknown quantity at this point

Its employer led so there wont be a list, they dont want a million people applying for every role although some like JDIrving have gone public.
Most success has come from people visiting and networking there.......what field are you in?

Last edited by willmissthebeeronly; Dec 28th 2017 at 5:12 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

I work in construction back in the UK, I'm a chartered surveyor, so construction cost planner or estimator would be the best match.
We're here on a temporary basis now looking after my mum, but need something permanent or we'll have to leave her on her own! Not an option!
Old Dec 29th 2017, 12:48 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sidjoloo
I work in construction back in the UK, I'm a chartered surveyor, so construction cost planner or estimator would be the best match.
We're here on a temporary basis now looking after my mum, but need something permanent or we'll have to leave her on her own! Not an option!
Where is here? We do tend to be more helpful if we know how to help....
Old Dec 29th 2017, 12:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Where is here? We do tend to be more helpful if we know how to help....
Dartmouth, NS according to their other posts. Although they also say they're waiting for PR 'through the family route' so I'm confused about the potential AIPP application.

OP, can you clarify? Have you already applied for PR? If so, you could potentially get a Bridging Open Work Permit so wouldn't need to apply under the AIPP.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

We arrived in Dartmouth NS in October (visitors visas) and staying with my mum who is quite ill now. My husband is retired, I don't really need to work and we have an income from property back in the UK, and enough money to buy ourselves a property in cash.
We're going back to the UK for 2-3 weeks in January, and will return on another vistors visa.
Basically, whichever route gets us PR easiest/fastest so I can stay and look after mum long term. The family route is an option but they only accept a certain number of people per year, and it the CIC website have said it will be 31 months until we get the final decision. If I could get a job with AIP, it might be easier that the wait?
Old Dec 29th 2017, 3:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived in Dartmouth NS in October (visitors visas) and staying with my mum who is quite ill now. My husband is retired, I don't really need to work and we have an income from property back in the UK, and enough money to buy ourselves a property in cash.
We're going back to the UK for 2-3 weeks in January, and will return on another vistors visa.
Basically, whichever route gets us PR easiest/fastest so I can stay and look after mum long term. The family route is an option but they only accept a certain number of people per year, and it the CIC website have said it will be 31 months until we get the final decision. If I could get a job with AIP, it might be easier that the wait?
Ah, ok, so you've not applied for anything yet? Can you clarify which 'family route' you're talking about? As your mother isn't able to sponsor you so that's a bit confusing.

AIPP would certainly be quicker if the timescale for whichever family based visa route you're looking at is 31 months (although as above, I don't think you're eligible for any so not sure what you're referring to). Have you looked at the NS PNP? If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and what work experience and qualifications do you have?

I'd be very careful about trying to return on a visitor visa - remember that you can need to prove ties to the UK and if the officer suspects you're trying to live in Canada without the right visa, you can be refused entry. Fine if you're only visiting, but do make sure you don't run foul of the rules and end up not being to enter Canada at all!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 29th 2017 at 3:36 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 3:43 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, ok, so you've not applied for anything yet? Can you clarify which 'family route' you're talking about? As your mother isn't able to sponsor you so that's a bit confusing.

AIPP would certainly be quicker if the timescale for whichever family based visa route you're looking at is 31 months (although as above, I don't think you're eligible for any so not sure what you're referring to). Have you looked at the NS PNP? If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and what work experience and qualifications do you have?

I'd be very careful about trying to return on a visitor visa - remember that you can need to prove ties to the UK and if the officer suspects you're trying to live in Canada without the right visa, you can be refused entry. Fine if you're only visiting, but do make sure you don't run foul of the rules and end up not being to enter Canada at all!
How about a super visa? Would that be appropriate?
Old Dec 29th 2017, 4:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
How about a super visa? Would that be appropriate?
It's only for parents or grandparents of Canadian citizens/PR's unfortunately - seems the OP is the daughter of one. Unless she's got a Canadian child she's not mentioned......which may also explain the 'family visa' application too.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

We can apply via the family route (adopted children/other stream) as mum has no other family in Canada, and her total income is in excess of the minimum amount required under this option to sustain us for the next five years.
I just don't want to have to rely on it really, I would much prefer to be able to live with her under my own steam... work here if I have to!
I'm 48 and have various qualifications in construction and civil engineering, I was a Chartered Quantity Surveyor back in the UK.
We have three properties, six (adult) children and several grand children, so we can definitely prove we still have ties to the UK!
Old Dec 29th 2017, 4:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

We can apply via the family route (adopted children/other stream) as mum has no other family in Canada, and her total income is in excess of the minimum amount required under this option to sustain us for the next five years.
OK, so she has no other relatives anywhere she could sponsor (not just in Canada, it's worldwide)?

I'm 48 and have various qualifications in construction and civil engineering, I was a Chartered Quantity Surveyor back in the UK.
Do look at the NS PNP then as well, you're under the age limit. Not sure if Quantity Surveyor is on 'the list' but it's worth checking, and if you can find another job offer then you could apply that route - would be less limiting that finding a job offer with a designated employer under the AIPP, as then you can find a job offer from pretty much any company.

We have three properties, six (adult) children and several grand children, so we can definitely prove we still have ties to the UK!
Given you're about to leave all of those behind, I don't think they count as ties tbh - not trying to be argumentative, but it's usually stuff like jobs etc that would be looked at. I'm not saying you can't return, but just make sure you can prove you will be going back to the UK if asked, just in case!

Good luck.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK, so she has no other relatives anywhere she could sponsor (not just in Canada, it's worldwide)?
^^ This is important.

Otherwise, I’m confused:
We are staying in Dartmouth waiting for PR to go through.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad.../#post12397482