Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IEC/ Residency as dependent child query

IEC/ Residency as dependent child query

Old Jul 31st 2017, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default IEC/ Residency as dependent child query

Hi All

I am in the process of a PNP application in BC and have been caught as my step-daughter is 19 so wouldnt be eligible as a dependent until after October 24th.

She now has an invitation to apply for an IEC visa! Great news as she can now work when we get here however I would appreciate peoples advice on how to proceed as we have 2 options

(1) Process the IEC application then wait till after 24th October to submit PNP and PR applications when she will be eligible

(2) Submit the IEC/PNP and PR applications now - she wont be eligible for residency so wont be on the list as a dependent child however I was thinking that once we get our residency we can then re-apply for her as a dependent child and get residency that way - is that possible??

I am thinking that we may be better to just wait as I dont want her to get IEC then not be eligible later as a dependent for residency
Old Aug 1st 2017, 12:13 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC/ Residency as dependent child query

Door number one, I would suggest.

The age is set at the time they receive the application for PNP / PR regardless of what is coming into effect through the change in regulations. In other words, you can't add her as a dependent after you have submitted your application, so it would be better to wait until October if you can.

There's no reason why she can't accept the invitation for the IEC and then be put on your PR application, as far as I am aware - she will have up to a year to activate it and you may well have PR by that time.

ARCHIVED — Canada Gazette – Regulations Amending the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (Age of Dependent Children) < transitional provisions

Old Aug 1st 2017, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I think if it were me, I'd wait until after 24 Oct to submit the PR app. October is just around the corner.

The raising of the age is not applied retroactively to apps in process and so it might be that it doesn't work out as you are planning if you apply before.

Last edited by Snowy560; Aug 1st 2017 at 3:34 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

I think we will wait - only a couple of months now and wouldnt want to have a nightmare in two years when her IEC runs out and she has to leave if she hasnt got enought herself for residency!