British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   IEC Question (Irish) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/iec-question-irish-717398/)

ccrudden May 17th 2011 7:06 pm

IEC Question (Irish)

Hi,

Im only new on this forum and was thinking about going to Canada on the IEC WHP, but I have a few question I was hoping someone here could clear up.

I hold an IRISH passport and have lived in Northern Ireland all my life (i was born in NI, i could've applied for UK passport as I have dual citizenship but decided to get an Irish one instead)

So presumably as I hold an Irish passport I would need to use the Irish application form for my application for IEC. The questions are would it matter that I put my Northern Ireland address on the application? And also, I think this is the 'biggy' but as I have never lived in the Republic of Ireland and so The Irish Police would have no record of me is it OK if i was to apply to the PSNI to get a police check? Or would I need to use this form http://www.acpo.police.uk/documents/...Form%20v15.pdf Although I think this is more for 'Mainland' UK as it asks on the form tick here if you have ever lived in Northern Ireland.

Please help as I think the IEC will be closing shortly.

Thanks

BTJ May 17th 2011 7:30 pm

Re: IEC Question (Irish)

Originally Posted by ccrudden (Post 9370461)
Hi,

Im only new on this forum and was thinking about going to Canada on the IEC WHP, but I have a few question I was hoping someone here could clear up.

I hold an IRISH passport and have lived in Northern Ireland all my life (i was born in NI, i could've applied for UK passport as I have dual citizenship but decided to get an Irish one instead)

So presumably as I hold an Irish passport I would need to use the Irish application form for my application for IEC. The questions are would it matter that I put my Northern Ireland address on the application? And also, I think this is the 'biggy' but as I have never lived in the Republic of Ireland and so The Irish Police would have no record of me is it OK if i was to apply to the PSNI to get a police check? Or would I need to use this form http://www.acpo.police.uk/documents/...Form%20v15.pdf Although I think this is more for 'Mainland' UK as it asks on the form tick here if you have ever lived in Northern Ireland.

Please help as I think the IEC will be closing shortly.

Thanks

Pretty sure you need to have been ordinarily resident in Ireland for 3 years to use the Irish Scheme. Afraid you may need to get a UK passport and use the UK scheme.

Residency Requirements

What does “3 years habitual residency requirement” mean?

This means that that a candidate’s habitual residence (i.e. physically residing/living) must be in Ireland for a period of at least three years full-time prior to applying to the IEC. An exception is made if the candidate is temporarily in a foreign country for studies or short-term work.

ccrudden May 17th 2011 7:35 pm

Do you perhaps think it will be too late to apply if I need to apply for British passport (6-8Wks) then start my IEC application?

Thanks

BTJ May 17th 2011 7:38 pm

No way to say unfortunately. There may be loads of places left, there may only be 1. Won't know until it is closed.

If nothing else you will be able to use it next year :)

ccrudden May 17th 2011 7:48 pm

Thats what I was thinking, and I would be soo disappinted if it was too late to apply by the time my UK passport arrived (as im sure it would be!)

I wish I could clarify this so I know for sure! :s

caitlind May 17th 2011 11:40 pm

Hi there, you can apply for the Irish initiative as a NI citizen. My partner has always lived in Belfast, but as he is over 30, has applied for the Irish initiative. Our application's in London at the moment! So go for it! :)

ccrudden May 18th 2011 7:57 am

Originally Posted by caitlind (Post 9371001)
Hi there, you can apply for the Irish initiative as a NI citizen. My partner has always lived in Belfast, but as he is over 30, has applied for the Irish initiative. Our application's in London at the moment! So go for it! :)

Hi!

Thanks for the reply! As far as your partner goes, what police check did he get? Did he get a UK one or one from the Garda?

Thanks,
Cathal

caitlind May 18th 2011 10:57 am

You have to get the UK one, but they're pretty quick if you use the express service!

ccrudden May 18th 2011 11:00 am

Originally Posted by caitlind (Post 9371932)
You have to get the UK one, but they're pretty quick if you use the express service!

OK Thanks,

So just to confirm, Your partner is from NI with a Irish Passport. Applied for the Irish Program, used his NI address on all correspondance submitted application with UK Police Check and UK Bank accounts?

Just to be sure to be sure! lol

Thanks again for all your help :)
Cathal

caitlind May 18th 2011 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by ccrudden (Post 9371936)
OK Thanks,

So just to confirm, Your partner is from NI with a Irish Passport. Applied for the Irish Program, used his NI address on all correspondance submitted application with UK Police Check and UK Bank accounts?

Just to be sure to be sure! lol

Thanks again for all your help :)
Cathal

Yes to all! No problem. We got ours through today! Remarkably quick. Almost disconcerting! Best of luck, let me know if you need to know anything else!

ccrudden May 19th 2011 12:11 am

Originally Posted by caitlind (Post 9373626)
Yes to all! No problem. We got ours through today! Remarkably quick. Almost disconcerting! Best of luck, let me know if you need to know anything else!

Thanks for ur help! Btw what part of NI u from?

ccrudden May 21st 2011 9:50 am

Originally Posted by caitlind (Post 9373626)

Hi Caitlind,

Just a quick question for clarity if you dont mind, On the Immigration form (IMM295E) Is asks for the country of residence in here I have put 'Northern Ireland'. Quesiton 9 then asks " Country where applying, Same as country of Residence" Then a Yes or No Tick box can you tell me what your OH put here?

Thanks =)

Cathal

caitlind May 21st 2011 8:57 pm

Hi cathal, it's 'yes' to that. We're in Belfast! What about yourself?