Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IEC - Query re: flight requirements...1 way or return needed?

Wikiposts

IEC - Query re: flight requirements...1 way or return needed?

Old Apr 5th 2011, 4:29 am
Just Joined

rachelsophiewilliams is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC - Query re: flight requirements...1 way or return needed?

Hi all,

So... after all the long and complicated application forms/bank transfers etc, I got the email last Tuesday confirming that I have been accepted on the IEC programme which is especially great news for me as my boyfriend is Canadian and we've been having a long distance relationship. Therefore I'm keen to get over to Canada ASAP but am unclear on some of the requirements for entering the country.

1. Can you enter on a one-way flight?
2. Do you have to have insurance for 12 months, or is insurance which you are able to extend from outside the UK sufficient.

I have scoured the website and application forms and can't find this information anywhere. It seems silly to book a return flight, not knowing if and when I might want to come home for a visit within the 12 months, like wise with the insurance.

I emailed the embassy at [email protected] and [email protected] a week ago but haven't received a response.

I don't want to arrive in Canada to be turned away for having not done everything correctly - it is a stupidly complicated process and nothing seems very transparent!

Any advice/website links to some definitive information would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Rachel
Old Apr 5th 2011, 4:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC - Query re: flight requirements...1 way or return needed?

No idea about insurance, but I think you'll need a return flight as you don't have PR - but a one way flight is usually much more expensive than a return anyway for some strange reason!

Welcome to the forum.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 4:36 am
Just Joined

Thanks - this seems stupid though - I can't find any flights you can book a return for longer than 10 months and all of them have a pretty hefty fee to amend the date!

Working Holiday Visa for OZ was much simpler!!
Old Apr 5th 2011, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rachelsophiewilliams
Thanks - this seems stupid though - I can't find any flights you can book a return for longer than 10 months and all of them have a pretty hefty fee to amend the date!

Working Holiday Visa for OZ was much simpler!!
We are on TWP's assigned to a job, and not the IEC, but this may help you anyway.

We flew out here last May with Air Canada, knowing that it was unlikely we would return in the year, we nevertheless booked return flights as they are a lot cheaper. Our return flight was supposed to be back in January.

A week before the flight, I phoned Air Canada and asked the procedure for cancelling the return leg. They said, I could either get a refund of around GBP#30, or accept a flight voucher, which means that we can fly any time between now and May for a change fee of only $150 per person.

These were advertised as inflexible economy tickets too, so I think we got a good deal in the end. Shame we can't afford to use them at the moment though!

Phone Air Canada and have a chat with them. I find that if you call around 8pm eastern time (1am GMT), you are more likely to speak to someone in a call centre in Canada rather than India. Racist slant not intended, but I just find the quality of the phone line, and information you receive, much better.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

you no longer need a return flight for IEC (just proof of funds). I have travelled previously on 1 way flights as a TWP holder with no problems.

However, return flights are usually much cheaper than 1 way flights- book a return picking the cheapest date for the return leg - whether it is 1 month from now or 6 months from now. You dont HAVE to cancel the return (sometimes there are cancellation fees), just dont use it.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chanceUK
you no longer need a return flight for IEC (just proof of funds). I have travelled previously on 1 way flights as a TWP holder with no problems.

However, return flights are usually much cheaper than 1 way flights- book a return picking the cheapest date for the return leg - whether it is 1 month from now or 6 months from now. You dont HAVE to cancel the return (sometimes there are cancellation fees), just dont use it.
Great advice I entered Canada on a working holiday program with BUNAC last April with a return flight booked in October, and just didn't use it. Again, it was cheaper to book the return flight than just a oneway, and made it cheaper for insurance.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice! On most airlines a return ticket definitely seems a lot cheaper, but Air Transat does one way from £199 including taxes, which is much cheaper than any other airline, either one-way or return. The up side with paying more for a return with eg. Air Canada is the larger luggage allowance.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:16 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=chanceUK;9287458]you no longer need a return flight for IEC (just proof of funds). I have travelled previously on 1 way flights as a TWP holder with no problems.

- Do you know where this information is actually stated? Because this was my understanding from the application form instructions which stated that upon arrival in Canada you must have your Letter of Introduction, valid passport, proof of insurance for the duration of your stay, and proof of funds document from you bank.

However, on the Letter of Introduction email that I received from the embassy last week, it mentions the first 3 above, but nothing about needing proof of funds. The information they provide throughout the application process is really confusing and sometimes contradictory.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my queries!!
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=rachelsophiewilliams;9287772]
Originally Posted by chanceUK

- Do you know where this information is actually stated? Because this was my understanding from the application form instructions which stated that upon arrival in Canada you must have your Letter of Introduction, valid passport, proof of insurance for the duration of your stay, and proof of funds document from you bank.

However, on the Letter of Introduction email that I received from the embassy last week, it mentions the first 3 above, but nothing about needing proof of funds. The information they provide throughout the application process is really confusing and sometimes contradictory.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my queries!!
I think with the program being fairly new, it is causing a certain amount of inconsistency. I have read on here that some people are being accepted in without even being asked about proof of insurance.

I personally do not expect to be asked about proof of funds, and will only be taking the three things you list above. My reasoning being that the LOI is the most recent (and therefore in my opinion most up to date) details of requirements.

Additionally, when I entered on a TWP last year I did not show proof of funds.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:56 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=conjonway;9287833]

I think with the program being fairly new, it is causing a certain amount of inconsistency. I have read on here that some people are being accepted in without even being asked about proof of insurance.

I personally do not expect to be asked about proof of funds, and will only be taking the three things you list above. My reasoning being that the LOI is the most recent (and therefore in my opinion most up to date) details of requirements.

- That was how I felt too, that the LOI is the most recent/official document yet and therefore I would go with that.

What are your plans for a flight (one way/return) and for insurance? I followed the link through BUNAC to the Endsleigh insurance policy which seems pretty expensive to me at around £550 for 1 year. I am also slightly reluctant about using BUNAC (I initially signed up with them and then asked for a part refund when I realised you could apply independently of them and was frustrated that they hadn't made this clearer from the outset).

If anyone has advice on which insurance companies are good that would be great! It's nice to know so many of us are heading to the land of bears and maple syrup : )
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=conjonway;9287833]
It's not required for a TWP though, as you already have arranged employment, so you would never have been asked for it.

If I were you, I'd definitely take it for a WHV as it's known to be a requirement, so there's a good chance an immigration officer will ask for it. JMO, but better to be prepared than refused entry and turned around!
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=christmasoompa;9288657]
Originally Posted by conjonway

It's not required for a TWP though, as you already have arranged employment, so you would never have been asked for it.

If I were you, I'd definitely take it for a WHV as it's known to be a requirement, so there's a good chance an immigration officer will ask for it. JMO, but better to be prepared than refused entry and turned around!
-I was planning to take it anyway, seeing as I already have it (although I think it has to have been issued within the last 3 months so might have lapsed by the time I arrive.) Do you think a recent bank statement would be sufficient?
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

-I was planning to take it anyway, seeing as I already have it (although I think it has to have been issued within the last 3 months so might have lapsed by the time I arrive.) Do you think a recent bank statement would be sufficient?
Not sure tbh, that's all that's required for other proof of funds (i.e. for Skilled Worker or PNP applications) but not all that familiar with the IEC. I'd imagine that would suffice, but not 100% sure.

Old Apr 6th 2011, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all the advice! On most airlines a return ticket definitely seems a lot cheaper, but Air Transat does one way from £199 including taxes, which is much cheaper than any other airline, either one-way or return. The up side with paying more for a return with eg. Air Canada is the larger luggage allowance.
If you are looking for really good luggage allowance, check out Swiss Air. You have to fly via Zurich, which isn't too bad, they are usually a bit cheaper than Air Canada. You get a hold allowance of 2 x 23kg, hand luggage allowance of 10kg
Old Apr 6th 2011, 1:02 am
Just Joined

Thanks for flight advice - I believe Air Canada has a similar baggage allowance as well so I'll look into both (plus the really cheap Air Transat one-way flights... read on...)

I've just received a response to my email after a very helpful lady at the embassy chased it up for me:

As per the stated requirements of the International Experience Canada initiative on our website, you must be able to provide Proof of Funds to the Border Services Agent who will issue you your work permit that demonstrates you have sufficient funds to purchase a return flight from Canada, if you do not already have one, once you have entered the country.

Also, as per the stated requirements on our website, you must purchase comprehensive medical insurance that will remain valid for the entirety of your stay in Canada. You are entitled to exit and enter the country as you wish during the 12 months your work permit is valid, but you must have insurance for the entire period, not just when you are in Canada.

If you have any other questions regarding what documentation you must provide or what arrangements you must make prior to departing for Canada, please visit the following website: www.unitedkingdom.gc.ca
Best regards,

The IEC Team

So I guess you can enter on a one-way flight, and even though they don't mention proof of funds in the Letter of Introduction email, it's probably a good document to take either way!

Hope this might help out some of you as well as me : )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.