Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IEC or PR? Travelling with common law partner

IEC or PR? Travelling with common law partner

Old Feb 7th 2022, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

claphamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC or PR? Travelling with common law partner

Hi all,

I posted previously when it was just me but since then life has moved on in many ways. My fiancé and I are 29F and 31M, homeowners and have lived together as spouses since February 2020 (combined finances, pension and insurance benefits etc). Covid has been good for us in a way, it allowed us to save a lot of money and buy a lovely first cottage in a great village in commuting distance to London, where we both work for some of the week. We do still both hanker after an adventure and would like to take the opportunity to move abroad for a few years whilst we are young enough, and Canada has always been my choice for our lifestyle.

As such, the IEC visa seems an obvious choice but I am confused about whether this would work given I am a) turning 30 in less than a month and b) my fiancé is too old. I believe he could come with me on an open work permit but I admit I am unclear on this whole process even after reading the Canadian immigration website. How does this actually work?

Does anyone have any experience of getting professional jobs on this visa as well? Whilst we want an adventure that is just the actual living abroad and experiencing a different culture and way of life part. We are ambitious and career driven people and we don't want to put that on pause (within reason), or we'd just take a sabbatical and travel for a year. I have read some employers are reluctant to take IEC visa holders, which is fair enough, but would appreciate any positive stories or tips. We work in financial services and in programme advocacy but there is no facility to move with our current employers. I am also a qualified vet but this doesn't actually help me as my university wasn't accredited in US/Canada when I graduated so would have to take too many exams and vet school was too long ago for me to seriously consider this.

Alternatively, we do qualify for PR I think via EE. Should we just go for it? Are there any significant negatives of choosing this route? Our pensions are one that springs to mind, as well as investments. I understand we can't contribute to our ISAs whilst in Canada but the SIPPs we hold are less clear to me. If/when we decide to return, can we bring any money in Canadian investment wrappers with us? In terms of ties here we would bring our dog but keep our house. We will have enough LTV by the time any move comes around to either switch to a BTL at re-mortgage or get consent to let and then rent it, managed by the agency here with whom we have a good social relationship.

So, IEC vs PR. Which is the better route and what pitfalls do I need to be aware of? I appreciate this may bridge immigration and the general forum so I am happy to be directed to make a new thread once the main immigration questions have been dealt with. Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 9th 2022, 1:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC or PR? Travelling with common law partner

Originally Posted by claphamer
As such, the IEC visa seems an obvious choice but I am confused about whether this would work given I am a) turning 30 in less than a month and b) my fiancé is too old. I believe he could come with me on an open work permit but I admit I am unclear on this whole process even after reading the Canadian immigration website. How does this actually work?
The IEC is available to those who are aged 30 and under i.e. up until your 31st birthday. So yes, you would be eligible at the moment. But if you want to do that you'll need to get a wiggle on to give yourself the best chance, visas are going fast for this year's program and by the time next year's is open, it may be too late for you.

Your partner would get an open work permit once you have a skilled job, so once you've got that, you'd go to the border and apply for his SOWP with proof of your IEC and job.

Does anyone have any experience of getting professional jobs on this visa as well?
No problem at all, lots of people get professional jobs on it. I've never heard of an employer discriminating against IEC holders.

Alternatively, we do qualify for PR I think via EE. Should we just go for it? Are there any significant negatives of choosing this route?
Only that it's a lot of money to spend and time to waste if you're not 100% you want to be in Canada long term. If that's the case, the IEC would be quicker/easier/cheaper and you could 'try before you buy'. What is your CRS score, is it definitely enough to get PR via EE?

Sorry, can't help with investments etc, that would be a question for the main forum.

HTH.
Old Feb 9th 2022, 5:28 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
The IEC is available to those who are aged 30 and under i.e. up until your 31st birthday. So yes, you would be eligible at the moment. But if you want to do that you'll need to get a wiggle on to give yourself the best chance, visas are going fast for this year's program and by the time next year's is open, it may be too late for you.

Your partner would get an open work permit once you have a skilled job, so once you've got that, you'd go to the border and apply for his SOWP with proof of your IEC and job.

No problem at all, lots of people get professional jobs on it. I've never heard of an employer discriminating against IEC holders.

Only that it's a lot of money to spend and time to waste if you're not 100% you want to be in Canada long term. If that's the case, the IEC would be quicker/easier/cheaper and you could 'try before you buy'. What is your CRS score, is it definitely enough to get PR via EE?

Sorry, can't help with investments etc, that would be a question for the main forum.

HTH.
1. Should note that it is unlikely that "flagpoling" for a SOWP will work these days. CBSA has been directing applicants to apply on line to CIC.
Old Feb 9th 2022, 5:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Should note that it is unlikely that "flagpoling" for a SOWP will work these days. CBSA has been directing applicants to apply on line to CIC.

They were, but seems to be ok since they relaxed the entry requirements, a few cases of folks on the forum getting work permits recently. The webpage was updated on 15th Jan - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...apply/poe.html
Old Feb 10th 2022, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

claphamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They were, but seems to be ok since they relaxed the entry requirements, a few cases of folks on the forum getting work permits recently. The webpage was updated on 15th Jan - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...apply/poe.html
Thank you for this. What is "flagpolling"? From what you're saying it doesn't sound like something I need to be wary of but I have no idea what this means.

My CRS score was 484 when I did it yesterday, though I will lose points for age when I turn 30. I got a bit confused because it didn't ask for any NOC codes, but I have taken a look at the tool and I believe mine would be closest to 0411O and 4165A, and my fiancé's would be 1112A. I don't quite understand the relevance of these though! I take your point about applying for PR being a lot more expense if we aren't sure we want to stay, but then if we do want to do it it seems like it would be worth going for it now to capitalise on our higher score? Would it be appropriate to ask on the main forum for experiences of IEC visa applicants working in their same careers when they move?
Old Feb 10th 2022, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for this. What is "flagpolling"? From what you're saying it doesn't sound like something I need to be wary of but I have no idea what this means.
Flagpoling = driving to the United States so that you can re-enter Canada and activate a different work permit, visa, or status.

I.e. - if you were on an IEC and you subsequently received confirmation of permanent residence, instead of waiting to make an appointment with CIC at an office in Canada, you could just drive down to the US for the day, do some shopping, and come back to the Canadian border and activate your new residence/status.
Old Feb 10th 2022, 6:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Trip_...lagpole-Canada

This Wiki article will also be invaluable if you're about to enter the world of immigration speak. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadian_Abbreviations

My CRS score was 484 when I did it yesterday, though I will lose points for age when I turn 30. I got a bit confused because it didn't ask for any NOC codes
It won't but if you used the official tool (https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...d/crs-tool.asp) then it will have asked you about your skilled work experience, which is all you need - it doesn't matter what exact NOC code it is, as long as it's skilled (which is thousands of jobs). 484 may be enough, but last time there were FSW draws (well over a year ago), the points threshold was around 470, and with so many extra people sitting in the pool waiting for FSW draws to resume, I'd expect it to be quite a bit higher for a while (just a guess though).

I don't quite understand the relevance of these though!
It essentially just categorises your job, those in Skill Levels A, O or B are 'skilled'.

I take your point about applying for PR being a lot more expense if we aren't sure we want to stay, but then if we do want to do it it seems like it would be worth going for it now to capitalise on our higher score?
Except your score would be much higher after a year of skilled work in Canada. It's really up to you, but it's going to cost you quite a bit more to apply for PR, and obviously take much longer so I'd only go for PR if you're 100% sure you want to stay in Canada long term. If not, given you only have this year and possibly next to get an IEC, I'd be trying for that first. You could always apply for PR if you don't get lucky in this year's IEC draw?

Would it be appropriate to ask on the main forum for experiences of IEC visa applicants working in their same careers when they move?
Absolutely. If you search the forums you'll find threads on the same subject, I'm sure it's been asked before.

Best of luck.