Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IEC -> PR - theoretically possible?

IEC -> PR - theoretically possible?

Old Jan 27th 2013, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

CBear171 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC -> PR - theoretically possible?

Hi folks.

I know a working holiday visa, or the IEC as it's apparently called nowadays, isn't really designed to facilitate permanent migration and that it's a dice roll to head out on one and hope to never have to buy a return ticket but....is it at least feasible? I've been reading around for days and I THINK it is possible to use the IEC as a platform to an eventual PR, it SEEMS like it is, but I'm concerned I might've missed some crucial condition in all the diplomatic terminology.

As far as I understand it, one could theoretically arrive on an IEC, gain skilled employment, apply for a second IEC, and then after one year's continuous employment in the skilled role apply for PR under the CEC or PNP schemes? Do people still manage to do that?

If so, I have a couple of further questions:

1. My partner is a Swedish citizen, I'm British. If we both went on IECs, I would be able to re-apply after a year but she wouldn't. What would be the options then if I'd managed to secure skilled work but she hadn't and we wanted to stay together? Would I have to try switching to a visa class that I could include her on - would TWP following a positive LMO be appropriate for that?

2. Are some provinces easier to get sponsored by than others under the PNP route? Are there any particular provinces known to have more generous criteria or that are recommended as more likely to provide a successful outcome?

3. I wondered if anyone who has an acquaintance with both systems would be able to say in general how Canada compares with Australia when it comes to trying to gain PR from the initial platform of a working holiday visa. My impression is that the Canadian system is slightly more generous, since there is no 6 month restriction on working for a single employer, the visa can be re-applied for (for Brits) without the condition of 3 months agricultural work having been done, and I don't think Australia has next-step options as apparently achievable as the CEC or PNP routes? I could be wrong in that impression though...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: IEC -> PR - theoretically possible?

Originally Posted by CBear171
Hi folks.

I know a working holiday visa, or the IEC as it's apparently called nowadays, isn't really designed to facilitate permanent migration and that it's a dice roll to head out on one and hope to never have to buy a return ticket but....is it at least feasible? I've been reading around for days and I THINK it is possible to use the IEC as a platform to an eventual PR, it SEEMS like it is, but I'm concerned I might've missed some crucial condition in all the diplomatic terminology. Yes, it can be done, timelines can get tight depending circumstances, but that's a chance to take?>

As far as I understand it, one could theoretically arrive on an IEC, gain skilled employment, apply for a second IEC, and then after one year's continuous employment in the skilled role apply for PR under the CEC or PNP schemes? Do people still manage to do that? as CEC experience "must" just got reduced to one year (from 2), if you fullfill all other condition, it's a good option if skilled. PNP can offer different advantages in some Provinces - only know the MB one by heart

1. My partner is a Swedish citizen, I'm British. If we both went on IECs, I would be able to re-apply after a year but she wouldn't. What would be the options then if I'd managed to secure skilled work but she hadn't and we wanted to stay together? Would I have to try switching to a visa class that I could include her on - would TWP following a positive LMO be appropriate for that? yes, that would be one option

2. Are some provinces easier to get sponsored by than others under the PNP route? Are there any particular provinces known to have more generous criteria or that are recommended as more likely to provide a successful outcome?MB has the employer direct stream within their PNP scheme, meaning after 6 months of fulltime work and staying with same employer who offers permanent f/t work, you can apply to PNP...you don't necessarly need to work in skilled worker field, but need to have previous education/experience ..others will be able to talk for other Provinces, I am sure. But only consider this, if you can see yourself permanent in Manitoba. This is a route (IEC to MPNP to PR)which I know a few ppl have taken with success

3. I wondered if anyone who has an acquaintance with both systems would be able to say in general how Canada compares with Australia when it comes to trying to gain PR from the initial platform of a working holiday visa. My impression is that the Canadian system is slightly more generous, since there is no 6 month restriction on working for a single employer, the visa can be re-applied for (for Brits) without the condition of 3 months agricultural work having been done, and I don't think Australia has next-step options as apparently achievable as the CEC or PNP routes? I could be wrong in that impression though...can't help on that one

hope those answers help a little. It probably would help as well to know what are you looking for (city life, rural life...) and what kind of jobs are you looking at.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 2:26 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of
Default Re: IEC -> PR - theoretically possible?

Originally Posted by CBear171
Hi folks.

I know a working holiday visa, or the IEC as it's apparently called nowadays, isn't really designed to facilitate permanent migration and that it's a dice roll to head out on one and hope to never have to buy a return ticket but....is it at least feasible? I've been reading around for days and I THINK it is possible to use the IEC as a platform to an eventual PR, it SEEMS like it is, but I'm concerned I might've missed some crucial condition in all the diplomatic terminology.

As far as I understand it, one could theoretically arrive on an IEC, gain skilled employment, apply for a second IEC, and then after one year's continuous employment in the skilled role apply for PR under the CEC or PNP schemes? Do people still manage to do that?

1. My partner is a Swedish citizen, I'm British. If we both went on IECs, I would be able to re-apply after a year but she wouldn't. What would be the options then if I'd managed to secure skilled work but she hadn't and we wanted to stay together? Would I have to try switching to a visa class that I could include her on - would TWP following a positive LMO be appropriate for that?

2. Are some provinces easier to get sponsored by than others under the PNP route? Are there any particular provinces known to have more generous criteria or that are recommended as more likely to provide a successful outcome?

3. I wondered if anyone who has an acquaintance with both systems would be able to say in general how Canada compares with Australia when it comes to trying to gain PR from the initial platform of a working holiday visa. My impression is that the Canadian system is slightly more generous, since there is no 6 month restriction on working for a single employer, the visa can be re-applied for (for Brits) without the condition of 3 months agricultural work having been done, and I don't think Australia has next-step options as apparently achievable as the CEC or PNP routes? I could be wrong in that impression though...

It's possible. I'm doing it. I've just started my 2nd IEC and I have my Quebec selection certificate and I'm completing the PR application now. Since I'm Quebec-selected, I should hopefully have confirmation of PR in about 9 months or less based on their processing times.

CEC has also been reduced to one year's work experience before application for PR. I believe the inland processing time is 13 months so your PR is unlikely to arrive before your 2nd IEC expires. I've heard that once the application is submitted, you can stay on an implied basis until a decision is reached. You'll have to research that yourself to find out if it's true.

As for different PNP routes being easier, it depends on your skills and job. Each province wants different things. For example, Quebec didn't care if I was employed or not. I got points for things like my education, French ability, being accepted into the professional order that regulates my profession, etc. and ultimately I got my Quebec selection certificate without interview. If you can find a province that is looking for someone with your skill set then you could be lucky...

Cat