IEC and PR App

Old Sep 9th 2014, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Hugo_Strange is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC and PR App

Hi,

I am currently in Canada under the IEC visa and have recently gotten married to my wife here who is a Canadian citizen.

What is the best and easiest way to move ahead with my PR application while remaining in Canada as I do not wish to leave my wife while I do an outland application?

Would I still be able to work once I have applied for my PR?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks guys
Old Sep 9th 2014, 6:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC and PR App

Your quickest and easiest route to PR would be for your wife to sponsor you, and there's absolutely no need to leave Canada even if you do an outland app.

You wouldn't be able to work until you've got PR though, so if you want to continue working once your IEC expires you'd need another IEC or TWP.

HTH, good luck.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for your advice.

As I am on IEC visa how hard is it to transfer to a TWP visa? Would my work need to initiate the application?
Old Sep 9th 2014, 6:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hugo_Strange
Thank you for your advice.

As I am on IEC visa how hard is it to transfer to a TWP visa? Would my work need to initiate the application?
Assuming you're not in a LMIA exempt occupation, then yes, your employer would need to apply for the LMIA. Once you've got that, you would get the TWP yourself.

How soon does your IEC expire? Usually a LMIA will take 3-4 months, so it might be something you need to get cracking on asap if you want to be able to keep working.

HTH.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

My IEC expires in around 7 weeks so I need to contact them today ASAP to see what they can do!
Old Sep 9th 2014, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

I work for a software company - do you think it will be easier for me to achieve a positive LMIA and thus allowing me to get TWP??

Thank you.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 7:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Yep, you need to get a move on then! Don't forget too that your company will need to advertise your job for at least 2 weeks first, so add that on to the timescale.

I'm afraid I've no idea on the likelihood of a LMIA for IT occupations, but best of luck.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 7:14 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't the advertising period up to 4 weeks, or have I made that up?

Get a move on filing your spousal app. That will take 6-7 months to come through and will give you full PR (processing times spreadsheet in my signature). THat's probably going to be your easiest and least hassle option, though it doesn't do much to enable you to work between your IEC expiring and your PR being granted, but it is your easiest course to PR overall I think.

As has been said, you can file an outland application from within Canada, not a problem at all.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

I really appreciate the help you guys have given me today - I will get my butt into gear and get that spousal app completed ASAP!

Thank you so much.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 7:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Isn't the advertising period up to 4 weeks, or have I made that up?
Nope, you're quite right, typo and I didn't even notice it! Ooops.