IEC to PR

Old Feb 7th 2016, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Leaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond repute
Default IEC to PR

I'm on my 2nd IEC, been here two years in April. Work wise I'm in IT and recently started a new job. In total I have 15 months work experience here in Canada (over 6 in total from UK and Spain). I want to get residency.

I'm totally confused with some of the PR routes. I have an uncle here and cousins who are all Canadian citizens. I did the questionnaire thing on the CIC website and I didn't quite qualify as I didn't have enough points. Looking at going the FSW route, but to be honest I'll go with whichever. I know I'm not going to be able to LMIA route as I'm new to my company and it's IT, in Toronto.

I understand I need to do an English test which I'm thinking is probably the first thing to do to get that out the way? I was looking last year at some of it but with the changes and introduction to the EE program it's completely thrown me.

Anyone been in a similar situation/offer advice? I don't know whether to hold out and apply later in the year when I have some more experience or whether to start somethings now i.e. the language test.

Last edited by Leaf25; Feb 7th 2016 at 7:47 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 8:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC to PR

Originally Posted by Leaf25
I'm on my 2nd IEC, been here two years in April. Work wise I'm in IT and recently started a new job. In total I have 15 months work experience here in Canada (over 6 in total from UK and Spain). I want to get residency.

I'm totally confused with some of the PR routes. I have an uncle here and cousins who are all Canadian citizens. I did the questionnaire thing on the CIC website and I didn't quite qualify as I didn't have enough points. Looking at going the FSW route, but to be honest I'll go with whichever. I know I'm not going to be able to LMIA route as I'm new to my company and it's IT, in Toronto.

I understand I need to do an English test which I'm thinking is probably the first thing to do to get that out the way? I was looking last year at some of it but with the changes and introduction to the EE program it's completely thrown me.

Anyone been in a similar situation/offer advice? I don't know whether to hold out and apply later in the year when I have some more experience or whether to start somethings now i.e. the language test.
As you have been working in Canada already for a year, one of the routes open to you may be Canadian Experience Class (CEC) under Express Entry (EE) or as a Federal Skilled Worker under EE.

You will need to find out your NOC code here - you need to have an A/O or B classification to apply as a skilled worker.

Once you have that, the first step is to use the "Come to Canada" wizard - you can use a guestimate for your IELTS results - and see if you get a positive result. Be careful how you use this, as inputting an incorrect response will give you a negative result.

Do you want to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant?

Then presuming you get a positive result, take a look at the 6 criteria to see if you are likely to meet them - you need a minimum of 67 points.

Six selection factors – Federal skilled workers

Presuming you can meet the minimum of 67 points, you can go on to look at the selection grid - currently, invites to apply are ranging from 450 - 470 points (average).

Express Entry – Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria

If you are over 400, there are ways to bump up your 'score'.

Once you have all that, you can determine whether it's worth your while getting your IELTS and Credential Assessment done.

Hopefully I've put all the links you need initially, but I am sure others will be along to let you know of anything else.

Old Feb 7th 2016, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Leaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
As you have been working in Canada already for a year, one of the routes open to you may be Canadian Experience Class (CEC) under Express Entry (EE) or as a Federal Skilled Worker under EE.

You will need to find out your NOC code here - you need to have an A/O or B classification to apply as a skilled worker.

Once you have that, the first step is to use the "Come to Canada" wizard - you can use a guestimate for your IELTS results - and see if you get a positive result. Be careful how you use this, as inputting an incorrect response will give you a negative result.

Then presuming you get a positive result, take a look at the 6 criteria to see if you are likely to meet them - you need a minimum of 67 points.

Presuming you can meet the minimum of 67 points, you can go on to look at the selection grid - currently, invites to apply are ranging from 450 - 470 points (average).

Once you have all that, you can determine whether it's worth your while getting your IELTS and Credential Assessment done.

Hopefully I've put all the links you need initially, but I am sure others will be along to let you know of anything else.

Thank you Siouxie!

I ran through the first link and it said I was eligible for EE, but that was giving me a score of 7 on everything in the English test. I did a online questionnaire thing last year and got 69 points. Doing the maths on that link you sent I'd be on the cusp of 67 points.

Looking at the second link I've added up to 353 points. I know if I wait till September I will have two years worth of experience so that will help. I don't mind waiting until then but the longer I wait the more I worry. I don't want someone turning round to me and saying "you should have done this or that earlier".

I'm looking at booking the general test through IELTS, as I think the earliest one they have in Toronto is March. Is it worth me doing this to start with? As I'm close on both accounts in terms of points?

I also speak Spanish, I don't know if that's worth persuing as my second official language? Or whether they are referring to you speaking French as well. Appreciate it's not a used Language here but if it will help me in the process then why not!

Last edited by Leaf25; Feb 7th 2016 at 8:47 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Siouxie!

I ran through the first link and it said I was eligible for EE, but that was giving me a score of 7 on everything in the English test. I did a online questionnaire thing last year and got 69 points. Doing the maths on that link you sent I'd be on the cusp of 67 points.

Looking at the second link I've added up to 353 points. I know if I wait till September I will have two years worth of experience so that will help. I don't mind waiting until then but the longer I wait the more I worry. I don't want someone turning round to me and saying "you should have done this or that earlier".

I'm looking at booking the general test through IELTS, as I think the earliest one they have in Toronto is March. Is it worth me doing this to start with? As I'm close on both accounts in terms of points?

I also speak Spanish, I don't know if that's worth persuing as my second official language? Or whether they are referring to you speaking French as well. Appreciate it's not a used Language here but if it will help me in the process then why not!
Spanish is not an official language in Canada so you will not get any points for it.

For English test, you could also check for CELPIP tests.

Though with 353 points, you would need an extra 100 points. A native English speaker should get at least 9 for language on the CLB scale. Are you counting points for education as well?
Old Feb 7th 2016, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bc2015
Spanish is not an official language in Canada so you will not get any points for it. For English test, you could also check for CELPIP tests. Though with 353 points, you would need an extra 100 points. A native English speaker should get at least 9 for language on the CLB scale. Are you counting points for education as well?
Ah I have been putting language at scale of 7, was being very conservative. I was counting points for education as well, though again I may have been too conservative. I have a BEng degree in Computers, networking and communications technology. I think I counted 25 points for that.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah I have been putting language at scale of 7, was being very conservative. I was counting points for education as well, though again I may have been too conservative. I have a BEng degree in Computers, networking and communications technology. I think I counted 25 points for that.

For Express Entry, a degree is worth 120 points (assuming you are applying as a single person).

I have found this calculator to be accurate and useful

https://www.bellallianceglobal.com/CRS-Score-Calculator
Old Feb 8th 2016, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

I did the points tally again and got 519. Do A-Levels class as post secondary qualifications? Up until now I've treated them as part of my GCSE's, as a "high school diploma", and then my degree, as they aren't recognised here?

On the 6 criteria I got 81 points. These both seem to suggest I would qualify?

When you said "Once you have all that, you can determine whether it's worth your while getting your IELTS and Credential Assessment done." Do you mean if I didn't get enough points it's probably not worth me going through those steps just yet, until I do qualify?

Last edited by Leaf25; Feb 8th 2016 at 10:06 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 11:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I did the points tally again and got 519. Do A-Levels class as post secondary qualifications? Up until now I've treated them as part of my GCSE's, as a "high school diploma", and then my degree, as they aren't recognised here?

On the 6 criteria I got 81 points. These both seem to suggest I would qualify?

When you said "Once you have all that, you can determine whether it's worth your while getting your IELTS and Credential Assessment done." Do you mean if I didn't get enough points it's probably not worth me going through those steps just yet, until I do qualify?
I believe A levels are included in secondary education - they are more or less equivalent to one year beyond Grade 12, from what I understand. Your Degree would be the 'post-secondary education' and it's your highest educational qualification that counts.

Yes, that's exactly why I suggested determining whether you would qualify before going through the expense and time of getting your IELTS and Credential Assessment done.

It looks like, theoretically, you are good to go though!

Old Feb 9th 2016, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

I just went through Express Entry with CEC for PR. I'm not so familiar with the FSW routes, so I can't comment there, but I just wanted to give you confidence that you should definitely be able to qualify with CEC!

So long as you get your degree accredited (don't bother with A-levels) and can get work references from all the places you've worked, you should have no problems getting picked out of the Express Entry pool (even with your conservative language estimates)!
Old Feb 10th 2016, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KuroKuro
I just went through Express Entry with CEC for PR. I'm not so familiar with the FSW routes, so I can't comment there, but I just wanted to give you confidence that you should definitely be able to qualify with CEC! So long as you get your degree accredited (don't bother with A-levels) and can get work references from all the places you've worked, you should have no problems getting picked out of the Express Entry pool (even with your conservative language estimates)!
Thank you for your words of encouragement KuroKuro. I'm keeping my expectations extremely low at the moment! If anyone here's a scream nearby sometime later this year it might be me from Ontario I was thinking of going the CEC route
Old Feb 10th 2016, 10:00 pm
Banned

Thank you for your words of encouragement KuroKuro. I'm keeping my expectations extremely low at the moment! If anyone here's a scream nearby sometime later this year it might be me from Ontario I was thinking of going the CEC route
They went with CEC

Originally Posted by KuroKuro
I just went through Express Entry with CEC for PR.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

They went with CEC
I realised after my first post what CEC meant!!!!!
Old Feb 11th 2016, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Just looking at the employer letters and proof of work experience. I have worked a couple of contracts with two separate companies. Do I need to get the letter from each manager? Technically I was sub contracted out by a recruitment agency so I was working for them.
I'm not sure if I need to get separate letters or whether my recruiter can sign for both positions and roles/duties?
Old Feb 13th 2016, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

Theoretically you were hired by the contractor, so get your employment references from them.