Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IEC Police check and habitually residency. In need of helpful advise, URGENT

IEC Police check and habitually residency. In need of helpful advise, URGENT

Old Jan 31st 2011, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

jakebhatt is just really nicejakebhatt is just really nicejakebhatt is just really nicejakebhatt is just really nicejakebhatt is just really nicejakebhatt is just really nicejakebhatt is just really nicejakebhatt is just really nice
Default IEC Police check and habitually residency. In need of helpful advise, URGENT

Hi, I have a few questions about the IEC, well I am going to apply to them, I am just waiting to receive my police check.

I do not know if this will be on my police check but it is worrying me ever so much as I am going to Canada to be with my girlfriend and work, live with her as I love her very much.

Couple of problems though... When I was 15 I believe i received a reprimand maybe it was a verbal warning, they did not actually tell me what It was, the police officers at the time never told me if it was a reprimand or a warning, But I think it may come back on my ACRO police check... It was for being drunk with my friends and a window got smashed,(was about 3 years ago) I was then took in to the police station for questioning and they called me back and told me I am pretty much getting let off and hope this doesn't happen again - (a verbal warning to me ), the woman said that it would not be going on a record and I will not have a criminal record at all. But I have been reading stories and have seen that others are receiving reprimands on their police checks.... for verbal warnings,

I have not been in any trouble with the police since then, If my Criminal check does come back and has the reprimand on it, will it affect me applying for the IEC ? or will I get refused. I need an answer because I can't stop worrying about it.

The other question is, I lived in Mexico for 18 months it was between the 3 years habitually residing in the UK, 3 years ago I was living in the UK

do you know if it will be an exception because I was in a foreign country and I moved there with my family as I didn't have much choice? It says on their websites that exceptions are made for people living in other foreign countries, just want to double check with all of you.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate what everyone is doing here on this forum.

If anyone could advise, It would be so helpful.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 2:55 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC Police check and habitually residency. In need of helpful advise, URGENT

Originally Posted by jakebhatt
Hi, I have a few questions about the IEC, well I am going to apply to them, I am just waiting to receive my police check.

I do not know if this will be on my police check but it is worrying me ever so much as I am going to Canada to be with my girlfriend and work, live with her as I love her very much.

Couple of problems though... When I was 15 I believe i received a reprimand maybe it was a verbal warning, they did not actually tell me what It was, the police officers at the time never told me if it was a reprimand or a warning, But I think it may come back on my ACRO police check... It was for being drunk with my friends and a window got smashed,(was about 3 years ago) I was then took in to the police station for questioning and they called me back and told me I am pretty much getting let off and hope this doesn't happen again - (a verbal warning to me ), the woman said that it would not be going on a record and I will not have a criminal record at all. But I have been reading stories and have seen that others are receiving reprimands on their police checks.... for verbal warnings,

I have not been in any trouble with the police since then, If my Criminal check does come back and has the reprimand on it, will it affect me applying for the IEC ? or will I get refused. I need an answer because I can't stop worrying about it.

The other question is, I lived in Mexico for 18 months it was between the 3 years habitually residing in the UK, 3 years ago I was living in the UK

do you know if it will be an exception because I was in a foreign country and I moved there with my family as I didn't have much choice? It says on their websites that exceptions are made for people living in other foreign countries, just want to double check with all of you.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate what everyone is doing here on this forum.

If anyone could advise, It would be so helpful.
If you were under the age of 18 when you lived in Mexico then you do not need to get a police cert from there - if you were over 18 and because you lived there for more than 6 months - you will need a police cert from there.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC Police check and habitually residency. In need of helpful advise, URGENT

With regard to your warning, it's unlikely that it will exist on PNC (police national computer), so you're probably alright. It'll quite possibly exist within your own police force's system but that's separate.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

jakebhatt is just really nicejakebhatt is just really nicejakebhatt is just really nicejakebhatt is just really nicejakebhatt is just really nicejakebhatt is just really nicejakebhatt is just really nicejakebhatt is just really nice

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
If you were under the age of 18 when you lived in Mexico then you do not need to get a police cert from there - if you were over 18 and because you lived there for more than 6 months - you will need a police cert from there.
I was under 18 when I arrived in Mexico, but I turned 18 there, I can't get back there, will they not be satisfied with my UK certificate as I live in the UK now... thanks
Old Jan 31st 2011, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
With regard to your warning, it's unlikely that it will exist on PNC (police national computer), so you're probably alright. It'll quite possibly exist within your own police force's system but that's separate.
Thanks rubber, that has kind of put my mind at ease, lets just hope it doesn't come up, thanks again
Old Jan 31st 2011, 3:51 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I was under 18 when I arrived in Mexico, but I turned 18 there, I can't get back there, will they not be satisfied with my UK certificate as I live in the UK now... thanks
Nope. This link shows you how to obtain a Mexican Police Cert when you no longer live there...http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ica/mexico.asp and it appears you need to obtain a state one AND a federal one.

Good luck.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Hi all, My police certificate has come through and it has come up with a Destroy or Damage of property (value of damage $5000 or less on 22/07/2007, it is a reprimand it happened when I was 16, I am now 19 and do not have any convictions, do you think this will ruin my chances of a visa?? please reply its urgent
Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, My police certificate has come through and it has come up with a Destroy or Damage of property (value of damage $5000 or less on 22/07/2007, it is a reprimand it happened when I was 16, I am now 19 and do not have any convictions, do you think this will ruin my chances of a visa?? please reply its urgent
Here is the info from the CIC website on criminal rehab - no idea if you need it or not, but hopefully you can read up and get the answer..............http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/conviction.asp

Have you got your Mexican police cert yet?

Edit: just seen that you've asked this question in four different threads. Please stick to just the one thread, it's not fair on others to bump up old threads and also not great forum netiquette. Thx.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 4th 2011 at 11:32 am.