Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

On an IEC, how to change to a study visa?

On an IEC, how to change to a study visa?

Old Feb 6th 2014, 11:59 am
Just Joined

alicemilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On an IEC, how to change to a study visa?

Hi everyone, I did a search for this topic to see if it had already been covered but couldn't find anything.

I am currently in England and obtained an IEC in the December 2013 round, my plan was to move over to Canada in August 2014, once I had finished my degree.
Due to a change in circumstances I am now looking into studying in Canada (specifically Information management course).

My big question is how would I go about applying for this? I know obviously to apply through the university for the degree course, but would this change my IEC status? I know I'd have to give up the IEC in return for a study permit, how and when would this be done?

Also if I decided to apply next year for the degree course (once I am in Canada) would it be the same process as applying this year? maybe just a case of changing my IEC status (once that expires) to visitor for a short period of time until I start my degree course with a study permit?

I know I'll have to pay international student fees, but would that change if I had been in Canada for a year?

Many thanks in advance!!!
Old Feb 6th 2014, 12:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On an IEC, how to change to a study visa?

You can't change your IEC to a study permit, you'd just need to apply for a study permit separately.

Re: international fees, most will charge them unless you're a PR or citizen of Canada, but do check with the uni you're thinking of attending in case their rules are different.

HTH.