Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IEC Forms - Did I actually need to apply for this Police Certificate??

IEC Forms - Did I actually need to apply for this Police Certificate??

Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

ributnaga is on a distinguished road
Default IEC Forms - Did I actually need to apply for this Police Certificate??

So I have been filling in the IEC form while waiting for a couple for documents to come in place. There is a note in the application website
If you have lived in a country other than Canada for a period of more than six months since your eighteenth birthday, you must also enclose a valid police certificate from that country.
I have previously studied in Canada for 4 years (2 years high school and 2 years college) before I came back to UK. This was way back in 1998-2002.

So I assume I have to now go through the looooong RCMP process of a Canadian Police Certificate for my IEC application.

Now I am filling in the actual PDFs (IMM1295 at the moment), and realized there is no place in the form to mention that I previously studied in Canada.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM1295E.PDF
  • My university degree came from UK
  • I have not lived in any other country in the last 5 years (for more than 6 months
  • All my work experience has been UK-based

So now I think about in theory, do I REALLY need this RCMP Canada Police Certificate? How is Embassy going to know that I have been in Canada before for 4 years if I can't declare it anywhere in the form?

I am already tempted to just go ahead and submit my IEC form without the Canada Police Certificate. I already have my ACRO form. I do not think it is lying since there is just no place to mention it. It is just the fact that it just makes my application alot lighter and I do not have to wait for my Canadian Police Cert (still taking weeks to process that since its an overseas application).
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: IEC Forms - Did I actually need to apply for this Police Certificate??

Ok nevermind, I jumped the gun there ;p

There is a section in the form asking
Have you ever previoulsy applied for any Canadian visas
I guess I would have to mention my Canadian student visa then
Old Feb 12th 2012, 1:13 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC Forms - Did I actually need to apply for this Police Certificate??

Hi

Originally Posted by ributnaga
Ok nevermind, I jumped the gun there ;p

There is a section in the form asking

I guess I would have to mention my Canadian student visa then
You really should read the quote again " If you have lived in a country other than Canada for a period of more than six months since your eighteenth birthday, you must also enclose a valid police certificate from that country"

Yes, you mention you had a study permit.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

You really should read the quote again " If you have lived in a country other than Canada for a period of more than six months since your eighteenth birthday, you must also enclose a valid police certificate from that country"

Yes, you mention you had a study permit.
WhATTTTT?! I must be blind!!!

Ok so I guess strictly speaking I don't even need this Canadian Police Certificate AT ALL. Gah, wasted time and money on it. Well an RCMP Police Certificate will come in handy some day but not for this IEC ;p