IEC and contractor work

Old Jun 9th 2012, 9:16 am
Just Joined

tsbasran is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC and contractor work

Hi all,

I wander if you can help. I've struggled to find any clear information on this either in the wake or forum itself.

Basically, I'm trying to establish if under the IEC program can I register as self employed or setup a corporation for the purposes of contract to hire work in the IT sector in Canada?

I am actually of British Citizenship and as the IEC is just a temp work permit, i guess the answer is no.

If anyone has any real life experience with this, or some advice or links to further information outlining what I would need to do, I would really appreciate your help.

Many thanks,

Taj
Old Jun 9th 2012, 9:08 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of
Default Re: IEC and contractor work

I'm on IEC and I'm self-employed as a geologist contractor and it's not a problem (just remember to save money back to pay your taxes). Not sure about setting up the corporation though - sorry.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

markstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to behold

I'm a contractor on IEC and use a contingent workforce company who 'employ' me, and deduct the proper taxes. I am actually working for the same company I worked for in England and work from home in Canada. This way, it's tax and visa compliant. Could be a really good option for you.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Hi all,

Many thanks for your responses, really appreciate your help.

My employer will actually be canadian, so im gonna look to register as self employed.

Thanks again for all your help.

Taj.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

markstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to behold

This is not possible - you can only be self employed if you are a Canadian permanent resident or citizen, or you go into a partnership with a Canadian PR or citizen. Read this: http://sbinfocanada.about.com/od/sta...-in-Canada.htm

(And when the article refers to immigrate, this means become a permanent resident. )

The reason I know this is because I looked into self employment since I was considering this as a legal way of contracting myself to my existing employers.

This is the critical point: to legally start a business in Canada as an individual, you need to be a Canadian citizen or a landed immigrant and as a foreign worker here on a work permit in Canada, you are neither. http://sbinfocanada.about.com/od/sta...ork-Permit.htm
Old Jun 12th 2012, 7:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

That second link refers to a temporary work permit. You can't open a business if you are here on a TWP because the TWP only authorizes you to work for the stated employer.

However, the OP says they are here on an IEC one year visa. AFAIK there is nothing in the conditions of an IEC visa that would preclude someone from being self-employed.

The website is also incorrect in stating that other provinces have similar rules as Ontario. In BC, for example, you don't need a Canadian resident director to form a corporation.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Awesome! This is actually very good news for me!

I cannot tell you amount the amount of bad information I have been given on a variety of topics from government sources, (and in some cases passed on in this forum in good faith), which has proven to be a load of rubbish by someone on here. This has to be the most informative immigration site going!

Thanks for clarifying and sorry for misleading.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi guys,

Thanks for the update. Looks like I may be ble to self employed after all. Failing that I'm going to look into umbrella companies, I'm sure they must have something like that in Canada.

Thanksagain guys,

Taj