Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IEC but getting married to a Canadian

IEC but getting married to a Canadian

Old Jan 27th 2012, 12:01 am
Just Joined

Tingles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IEC but getting married to a Canadian

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
A lawyer told you to do that?!? Oh good grief. Even the CIC website states very clearly that any breaks in living together must be for a specific reason i.e. business abroad or family reasons.

I understood that to mean breaks in the qualifying year together. On the cic website it says:

You cannot be sponsored as a spouse, a common-law partner or a conjugal partner if:
•you have lived apart from your sponsor for at least one year and either you (or your sponsor) are the common-law or conjugal partner of another person
To me that implies anything less than a year apart is kosher. Am I totally wrong and fooling myself?
Old Feb 8th 2012, 6:32 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tingles
I understood that to mean breaks in the qualifying year together. On the cic website it says:

To me that implies anything less than a year apart is kosher. Am I totally wrong and fooling myself?
That's what I'd thought but apparently it isn't the case. It seems the wording on the CIC website can be a bit unclear sometimes. It also doesn't help that there are dozens of pages and guides which are written in ways that sometimes confuse or contradict themselves.

Given that an IEC visa lasts for a year and you can not qualify for common law until you've lived together for a year "and continue to do so" it appears that route is closed off for people in that circumstance.

To make life even more fun...it seems the application process has changed from 2010 when I went through it. It does appear to be cheaper (almost unbelievably)
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 10:32 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to resurrect an oldish thread but I'm now going through the application forms.

As usual there are some questions which are awkward. Things like "Marital Status". There is no option for "engaged" so do I select "Single"? I'm not married yet, or divorced for example.

There are some options for "common law partner" but I don't know if this is strictly accurate either given the fact we tried to apply for PR using the common law route and were told we didn't qualify.

Should I just put Single? It doesn't seem accurate really but none of the other options work either.

Thanks.