IEC before PR?

Old Sep 8th 2019, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Mastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond repute
Default IEC before PR?

Hi all,

posted a couple of times now for advise and have found this site to have been really helpful, so hopefully someone can give lots of info this time too . Me and my husband have been looking into PR for our family of 5 for a while now with me being lead applicant, currently scoring in the region on 450-456 for CRS using the FSW EE route. However, we are now considering an alternative route of me applying for IEC first with the plan to apply for PR whilst in Canada after a year of experience, all being well of course.

So could anyone give advice around the IEC application process? Also how to go about visas for my husband and children? Would they initially arrive on visitor visas then apply for the relevant work and study visas whilst over there? I am of the understanding my husband has to wait for me to find employment in certain skill categories before he can apply? Also, my eldest two children are of primary school age so i would like to avoid them missing too much schooling, how long roughly would it take to obtain study visas for them and would we have to pay tuition without having PR?

We are aware this is a more risky move rather than applying for PR straight away, but we figured it would take us longer overall preparing, applying and waiting for PR to be processed before moving and we would like to get over there as soon as possible so it is easier for our children to adapt while younger. We also own our own property so feel this is the best way to go about things by renting this out for the initial 2 years and eventually selling if all goes to plan as opposed to selling up straight away. Finally, we are pretty much settled on the idea of living in Calgary, so if anyone has any advice on schooling/neighbourhoods/jobs etc that would be great!

sorry for such a long post and thanks in advance for any information or advice
Old Sep 8th 2019, 4:40 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC before PR?

Originally Posted by Mastersgrad
Hi all,

posted a couple of times now for advise and have found this site to have been really helpful, so hopefully someone can give lots of info this time too . Me and my husband have been looking into PR for our family of 5 for a while now with me being lead applicant, currently scoring in the region on 450-456 for CRS using the FSW EE route. However, we are now considering an alternative route of me applying for IEC first with the plan to apply for PR whilst in Canada after a year of experience, all being well of course.

So could anyone give advice around the IEC application process? Also how to go about visas for my husband and children? Would they initially arrive on visitor visas then apply for the relevant work and study visas whilst over there? I am of the understanding my husband has to wait for me to find employment in certain skill categories before he can apply? Also, my eldest two children are of primary school age so i would like to avoid them missing too much schooling, how long roughly would it take to obtain study visas for them and would we have to pay tuition without having PR?

We are aware this is a more risky move rather than applying for PR straight away, but we figured it would take us longer overall preparing, applying and waiting for PR to be processed before moving and we would like to get over there as soon as possible so it is easier for our children to adapt while younger. We also own our own property so feel this is the best way to go about things by renting this out for the initial 2 years and eventually selling if all goes to plan as opposed to selling up straight away. Finally, we are pretty much settled on the idea of living in Calgary, so if anyone has any advice on schooling/neighbourhoods/jobs etc that would be great!

sorry for such a long post and thanks in advance for any information or advice
With an IEC you would apply to enter the pool and if fortunate enough to be picked you complete the application and after a few weeks you would receive (provided you have supplied all the documentation and meet the requirements) a letter of Introduction (LOI) which you present to the CBSA officer on arrival in Canada and receive your 2 year work permit (provided you have got your insurance documents and proof of funds with you). No study permit required as your children are minors and you will have a work permit When obtaining your IEC work permit at the point of entry you would ask for a visitor record for each of your children - and those together with a copy of your work permit will be enough to let them attend school (no fees payable). Your husband would need to wait until you have an job in a skilled occupation - and have a couple of payslips together with your contract of employment... then he could apply for a spousal open work permit https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous..._Permit-Canada

All this and more can be found in our fabulous wiki! https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick...an_Immigration

Do bear in mind that as visitors your children (and your husband) may not be covered under Provincial Healthcare - and if they are then it can be up to 3 months before you would qualify for it, depending on the Province. Do also be aware that there could be tax implications to you owning property, renting it out and then selling it... https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Tax_a...e_Sales-Canada and https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Tax_o...me_from_Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 8th 2019 at 4:47 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2019, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Mastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
With an IEC you would apply to enter the pool and if fortunate enough to be picked you complete the application and after a few weeks you would receive (provided you have supplied all the documentation and meet the requirements) a letter of Introduction (LOI) which you present to the CBSA officer on arrival in Canada and receive your 2 year work permit (provided you have got your insurance documents and proof of funds with you). No study permit required as your children are minors and you will have a work permit When obtaining your IEC work permit at the point of entry you would ask for a visitor record for each of your children - and those together with a copy of your work permit will be enough to let them attend school (no fees payable). Your husband would need to wait until you have an job in a skilled occupation - and have a couple of payslips together with your contract of employment... then he could apply for a spousal open work permit https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous..._Permit-Canada

All this and more can be found in our fabulous wiki! https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick...an_Immigration

Do bear in mind that as visitors your children (and your husband) may not be covered under Provincial Healthcare - and if they are then it can be up to 3 months before you would qualify for it, depending on the Province. Do also be aware that there could be tax implications to you owning property, renting it out and then selling it... https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Tax_a...e_Sales-Canada and https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Tax_o...me_from_Canada

thank you for response that has been really helpful! Is the IEC pool similar to the EE in terms of points based etc? If not, do you know what criteria is used to select candidates to apply? Once I have secured a job and got necessary payslips, do you have a rough idea of how long do the work permits usually take to be processed for my husband?

We have decided to do it this way purely down to finances and time constraints, it would cost slightly less initially and be quicker (granted I get selected for the IEC) to do it this way than if we applied for full PR straight away.
Old Sep 8th 2019, 6:58 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for response that has been really helpful! Is the IEC pool similar to the EE in terms of points based etc? If not, do you know what criteria is used to select candidates to apply? Once I have secured a job and got necessary payslips, do you have a rough idea of how long do the work permits usually take to be processed for my husband?

We have decided to do it this way purely down to finances and time constraints, it would cost slightly less initially and be quicker (granted I get selected for the IEC) to do it this way than if we applied for full PR straight away.
Most welcome

IEC is a once a year thing.. they usually put a notice up when it opens, usually December/January - then it's down to the luck of the draw - no points, just get in as soon as it opens and hope for the best. This year was a little different as the didn't fill all the places and opened it up again!

Rounds of invitations – International Experience Canada
Quota: 10,000
First round of invitations: December 27, 2018
Final round of invitations: To be announced
Invitations issued to date: 19,334
Spots available: 430
Candidates in the pool: 370
Full details on criteria and how to apply etc:https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...anada/iec.html

Your huband could apply online or at the border, once you have been working for a few weeks and have your contract and payslips, if it's at the border it will take however long he wants to queue for basically - it would be issued on the spot if the criteria is met.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 8th 2019 at 7:04 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2019, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Most welcome

IEC is a once a year thing.. they usually put a notice up when it opens, usually December/January - then it's down to the luck of the draw - no points, just get in as soon as it opens and hope for the best. This year was a little different as the didn't fill all the places and opened it up again! Rounds of invitations – International Experience Canada

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...anada/iec.html

Your huband could apply online or at the border, once you have been working for a few weeks and have your contract and payslips, if it's at the border it will take however long he wants to queue for basically - it would be issued on the spot if the criteria is met.
ahh right thanks for clearing that up! If I entered the pool in January and was selected to apply is there a certain time frame I would have to enter canada with my letter of invitation? We were hoping if all goes to plan, to enter Canada in approx 1 years time.

Would my husband and children be ok to travel to Canada with me the first time I entered? Or would they have to come out at a later time as they are only classed as visitors at that point? Also for the IEC, do we need to do an IELT as we would for PR? Sorry for so many questions, which are probably all straight forward, but i’m just trying to cover all bases and not miss any vital info!
Old Sep 8th 2019, 9:38 pm
Banned

ahh right thanks for clearing that up! If I entered the pool in January and was selected to apply is there a certain time frame I would have to enter canada with my letter of invitation? We were hoping if all goes to plan, to enter Canada in approx 1 years time.

Would my husband and children be ok to travel to Canada with me the first time I entered? Or would they have to come out at a later time as they are only classed as visitors at that point? Also for the IEC, do we need to do an IELT as we would for PR? Sorry for so many questions, which are probably all straight forward, but i’m just trying to cover all bases and not miss any vital info!
Without meaning to sound harsh, all the information on time frames, requirements etc., are in the link given - but for clarity: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ss-glance.html and http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...pic.asp?top=25

The application says dependents are not to be included - but that doesn't mean they can't come, it just means they don't get added to your IEC application - you would all come together - they would enter as visitors.. you would ask for Visitor Records (not the generic stamp - you need the visitor record for a) schools and b) (your husband) driving license, if he needs to get one. (you would be entering under dual intent which is legal, but can get complicated when you are bringing all your worldy goods and the rabbit, for instance, when you are supposedly here only for 2 years.

Be aware there is usually a mad scramble to get applications in - they had 10,000 places this year and 43,000 applicants... and they may change the requirements between now and then.

Personally I would be concentrating on an EE application if I were in your shoes, with young children.. with the points you have you shouldn't have too much difficulty in obtaining an invite.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 8th 2019 at 9:43 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Without meaning to sound harsh, all the information on time frames, requirements etc., are in the link given - but for clarity: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ss-glance.html and International Experience Canada

The application says dependents are not to be included - but that doesn't mean they can't come, it just means they don't get added to your IEC application - you would all come together - they would enter as visitors.. you would ask for Visitor Records (not the generic stamp - you need the visitor record for a) schools and b) (your husband) driving license, if he needs to get one. (you would be entering under dual intent which is legal, but can get complicated when you are bringing all your worldy goods and the rabbit, for instance, when you are supposedly here only for 2 years.

Be aware there is usually a mad scramble to get applications in - they had 10,000 places this year and 43,000 applicants... and they may change the requirements between now and then.

Personally I would be concentrating on an EE application if I were in your shoes, with young children.. with the points you have you shouldn't have too much difficulty in obtaining an invite.

no you don’t sound harsh thats perfect thank you for being so helpful, i kind of get lost in all the info on the websites so those links are much appreciated!

Yes that makes alot of sense about turning up at the border with everything! I understand what you are saying about going straight for EE and originally that was our plan, but we wouldnt be ready to enter the pool until over a years time, and assuming we get an invite, by the time everything went through we would be looking at not getting over there for close on 2 years.

Thanks again for all of your help