IEC American Visa Issues

Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Lysander is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC American Visa Issues

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere, i have had a look but i can't find anything.

I have been accepted for the International Ecperience Canada Scheme and have already got flights and insurance. I am intending to leave on Sunday 23rd (less than a weeks time).

My flight has a two hour stopover at JFK airport in New York. I was getting my application for the Visa Waiver Program sorted when I discoved that as I will be in Canada (north america) for over 90 days (the iec allows me to stay for a year) I am not eligible and am required to get a visa. I don't have time to get a visa before my flight, their website suggests it will take a minimum of 8 days and i have only 6. My airline ticket won't allow me to upgrade to a direct flight and i don't have enough money to purchase a new Direct ticket. What should i do? Will the fact that i am clearly only going to be in transit during my stay in america be sufficient for an immigration oficial to let me through?

Does anyone else have any experience with a situation like this? How nice are american immigration officials? What would happen to me if i tried to get through but was refused?

Thank you.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC American Visa Issues

Originally Posted by Lysander
Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere, i have had a look but i can't find anything.

I have been accepted for the International Ecperience Canada Scheme and have already got flights and insurance. I am intending to leave on Sunday 23rd (less than a weeks time).

My flight has a two hour stopover at JFK airport in New York. I was getting my application for the Visa Waiver Program sorted when I discoved that as I will be in Canada (north america) for over 90 days (the iec allows me to stay for a year) I am not eligible and am required to get a visa. I don't have time to get a visa before my flight, their website suggests it will take a minimum of 8 days and i have only 6. My airline ticket won't allow me to upgrade to a direct flight and i don't have enough money to purchase a new Direct ticket. What should i do? Will the fact that i am clearly only going to be in transit during my stay in america be sufficient for an immigration oficial to let me through?

Does anyone else have any experience with a situation like this? How nice are american immigration officials? What would happen to me if i tried to get through but was refused?

Thank you.
Not got a clue what the answer is, but can I suggest you post this in the US immigration forum, as they will know the rules and be able to advise.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much, I'll do that.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Should anyone in a similar situation stumble accross this, the link to the thread on the USA forum is http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...40#post9679840.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 5:12 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

this is why you should avoid flying through the US (imo)
Old Oct 17th 2011, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

this is why you should avoid flying through the US (imo)
i wish i had read that a month ago.

It looks like i can get a full refund from my american airlines flight. so i don't think i'll take the risk, i'll just buy a direct ticket. Thanks very much for all of your help everyone. I really appreciate it.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:24 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

For future reference the answer with regard to VWP entry for people without permanent residence in Canada who end their journey in Canada is:

It depends. The CBP officer might admit you, or might not.

Officially the stance is apply for a B-2 visa, however the chances of a young VWP national receiving that visa is very low, and refusal means your ESTA application is likely to be refused for some time - meaning bye bye USA.

If/When I travel to Canada I think I would fly direct and then once you have demonstrable residential ties to Canada I would feel happy to travel to the US. I think the CBP officer would be satisfied of permanent residence (by which I mean the layman definition not PR) with a provincial driver's licence, Canadian bank card, work permit/study permit/PR card. But at the end of the day they can refuse entry to you simply because you look a bit funny - there are no rights at all under the VWP.