Wikiposts

IEC Accepted. Moving in with GF

Old Mar 20th 2017, 10:04 am
Just Joined

YoungBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC Accepted. Moving in with GF

Hi guys
I've been stalking this forum for months now and it's answered so many questions for me. Thank you all.
However as time moves closer, the more anxious I get.
So I got accepted through the IEC programme early this year, received my POE letter and I have my flight etc sorted for mid April. So excited.
But now I've been reading about this whole dual intent thing.
So my initial plan was/is to live with my girlfriend while I'm in Canada. My current British employer is willing to have me work remotely. I have a return ticket, unfortunately not for the full two years, but I can get the date changed when I want to come back to the UK. I also have two years travel insurance and more than the required $2500.
I'm scared that I may be questioned a fair amount at the border and potentially be declined entry.
Some background information : I met my same sex partner online a couple of years ago. We have met each other several times since. In all honesty the long term goal is to get common law and stay.... But I understand that this may effect my chances of being granted a work permit at the border.
Any help will be appreciated.
Xo

Last edited by YoungBrit; Mar 20th 2017 at 10:11 am.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC Accepted. Moving in with GF

You have a work permit. You have insurance. You have funds. You have far more proof of intent to leave Canada than most people arriving on IEC (the existence of a return flight).

You're overthinking it.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Thank you Vulcanoid. That's exactly what my partner said to me.
After investing so much time and effort into this whole process I just want to be sure. Otherwise i can potentially look at getting a temporary thing sorted with an airbnb, purely for the border staff.
I'm only taking two suitcases, rammed full of clothes.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Im assuming your partner is a Canadian citizen living in Canada?
Providing you can meet the common law requirements then there should be no issues.
Read sections 5.34 to 5.37 on pages 26 & 27 of this CIC manual to see what they say about common law relationships
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op02-eng.pdf
Old Mar 20th 2017, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Hi Former Lancastrian. Yes she is.
Thank you. At the moment we don't qualify as we haven't lived together etc for the required period. However we are hoping that the IEC will give us that opportunity.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 1:21 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoungBrit
Hi Former Lancastrian. Yes she is.
Thank you. At the moment we don't qualify as we haven't lived together etc for the required period. However we are hoping that the IEC will give us that opportunity.
How exciting for you both! Good luck and as has already been said, don't worry about it. You have all the necessary documentation. Just present yourself and your IEC thingy, get stamped or whatever and start the next wonderful chapter of your life.

I envy you the possibilities!
Old Mar 20th 2017, 1:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

And, by the way, you are coming here on an IEC and will have a work permit - the g/f has nothing to do with it.

Old Mar 20th 2017, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
How exciting for you both! Good luck and as has already been said, don't worry about it. You have all the necessary documentation. Just present yourself and your IEC thingy, get stamped or whatever and start the next wonderful chapter of your life.

I envy you the possibilities!
Thank you so much!!
Guess all I needed was reassurance.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
And, by the way, you are coming here on an IEC and will have a work permit - the g/f has nothing to do with it.

Thank you!
Old Apr 15th 2017, 5:06 am
Just Joined

Hi guys.. Quick update, so I went with all my paperwork prepared..I got through the immigration within under 5 minutes. All they asked was what my occupation was, asked me to take a seat, next thing I know they're handing over my two year work permit.
They didn't ask for any proof of funds/insurance/flight.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys.. Quick update, so I went with all my paperwork prepared..I got through the immigration within under 5 minutes. All they asked was what my occupation was, asked me to take a seat, next thing I know they're handing over my two year work permit.
Great, congrats and welcome!

I never understand why anyone (not just you) feels the need to post this, particularly about the funds/insurance part
Old Apr 17th 2017, 1:04 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic news, glad you got through with no issues!

The only additional advice I will give is to make sure that you have all your proper paperwork documented to prove common-law status. The spousal sponsorship wiki page and the FAQ (linked in my signature) has a list of the types of things they look at. REmember that you'll need to prove to CIC that you are living in a marriage-like relationship, so you really need to make sure you have the paperwork to back it up.

I highly suggest doing things like:
-Getting your name added to the lease (VERY important as this is one of the required documents now)
-Opening a joint bank account and having paper statements sent so you have the paper trail and proof of address. Use the bank account to pay things like rent, utilities, etc.
-If possible, get your name added to the utilities, or move 1-2 of the utilities into your name (so internet/cable in your name, water and electric in gf's name, that sort of thing)
-If your travel insurance includes life insurance then name your gf as beneficiary... if not, consider getting some life insurance! She can do the same for you.
-If her work has additional medical benefits, she should check to see if she can add you as a family member (this will be policy-specific as to whether and when she will be able to do this)

And so on and so forth. Really get your paper trail established. It'll make life way easier for you when it comes time to apply if you put in the extra work now to get it all straightened out.

Best of luck and keep us updated!
Old Apr 17th 2017, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Fantastic news, glad you got through with no issues!
+1 to all of this. We just did a CL application process, and being aware that that was our preferred route from the start, we started collecting evidence from the get go. Even as far back as putting in emails to the estate agent that we wanted a joint lease, and my partner was joining me from Canada. That, the lease, bills, electoral documents (although you won't have those, Brits can't vote in Canada like my Canadian partner can in Britain).

We didn't actually have a very thick application (I was terrified seeing photos of some of the piles people put together), but we had high quality documents covering the entire time, and our application was processed in just under 4 months (despite being over Christmas, with two week-long Fedex delays, needing to replace a form because my partner put the names in wrong, new photos when they seemed to lose them, and additional proof of intention to live in Canada), so can't really have gone any smoother in the CIC office.

The good thing about going CL is that in having to live together for a year, you'll normally naturally accrue the proof needed. The sooner you think about keeping and organising it, the quicker and easier the process of application goes.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much Schnookololy and Vulcanoid! I will definitely take both of your suggestions on board.

Exciting times ahead!