IEC 2020

Old Jul 26th 2020, 10:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC 2020

Originally Posted by hkk
Does anyone know if its possible to remain a UK citizen whilst on an IEC (1 year)?
I'm not sure what you mean by this? You can't lose your UK citizenship unless you choose to renounce it. You'll only be on a temporary visa in Canada, but even if further down the line you got Permanent Residency and then became a Canadian citizen, you'd still be a UK citizen then too - you'd be a dual citizen, of both countries. Also note an IEC visa is for 2 years, not 1.

Originally Posted by hkk
How do taxes work if employed in Canada and self employed in the UK?
So you'll remain self employed and working for employers in the UK, but from Canada?
Old Jul 26th 2020, 10:46 am
hkk
Just Joined

hkk is an unknown quantity at this point

But with my passport expiry date plus covid, only 1 year may be granted

With regards to paying tax and which country you reside, I'm assuming I would need to inform HMRC if I am still self employed (UK based business) but managing the business from Canada and working for an employer in Canada despite this only being for up to 12 months?

World income is reported to both Canadian AND UK tax authorities?
Old Jul 26th 2020, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hkk

With regards to paying tax and which country you reside, I'm assuming I would need to inform HMRC if I am still self employed (UK based business) but managing the business from Canada and working for an employer in Canada despite this only being for up to 12 months?

Renew your passport then you get the full 2 years.
Old Jul 26th 2020, 10:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hkk
Ah, I see. Personally I'd renew my passport to get the full 2 years - you never know what may happen, if you wanted to stay longer but couldn't that would be awful!

Originally Posted by hkk

You will be tax resident in Canada, so that is normally where you'd pay tax. Most people submit a P85 when they leave the UK and then don't have to report anything to HMRC, but in some cases (i.e. income from UK property) they still have to submit a tax return, and you will probably be the same. I'd suggest you start a new thread in the main Canada forums about tax where the tax pros will see it, your question may be lost tacked on to the end of a thread about visas.
Old Jul 26th 2020, 10:58 am
hkk
Just Joined

hkk is an unknown quantity at this point

yes will do, thanks for the info

Just hoping we get more info on IEC 2020 rounds if anything changes at all!