IEC 2019

Old Jan 6th 2019, 9:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default IEC 2019

As the 2019 IEC program is now open, I thought I'd start the annual thread.

Please keep all IEC related questions in this thread (general 'where to live/cost of living etc' type questions should be posted in the main Canada forum), and before asking questions please do search the thread, or the forum for the previous year's threads, as many questions have been asked and answered lots of times before.

Best of luck to all of you.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

hh619 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IEC 2019

Hi all,

I applied for IEC last year and received an ITA and was accepted and issued a work permit. However, due to personal reasons, i did not land and activate the IEC work permit and it has since expired.

After some initial research, it appears that once you've been issued a work permit via IEC, you cannot apply again. However, i've contacted CIC via the webform and i've been informed that it is ok to apply again aslong as the work permit was never acticated. I've now re-applied and just waiting to see if i get an invitation before i age out in April.

Does anyone else have any experiece of this?
Old Jan 7th 2019, 7:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matteh
Hi all,

I applied for IEC last year and received an ITA and was accepted and issued a work permit. However, due to personal reasons, i did not land and activate the IEC work permit and it has since expired.

After some initial research, it appears that once you've been issued a work permit via IEC, you cannot apply again. However, i've contacted CIC via the webform and i've been informed that it is ok to apply again aslong as the work permit was never acticated. I've now re-applied and just waiting to see if i get an invitation before i age out in April.

Does anyone else have any experiece of this?
Hmmmm. That's odd as I always understand that once you've got the POE letter that counts as a participation, even if you don't. use it. And CIC's website seems to say the same - If I am issued a POE Letter but do not use it, will I get a refund?

Odd that you've been told differently, do keep us posted and let us know if you are allowed another as it would be useful to know.

Good luck.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hmmmm. That's odd as I always understand that once you've got the POE letter that counts as a participation, even if you don't. use it. And CIC's website seems to say the same - RemoveURLasi'mNewbie

Odd that you've been told differently, do keep us posted and let us know if you are allowed another as it would be useful to know.

Good luck.
Yeah, i read the same! Strange that it allows me to reapply. I assume the POE letter is the one that has this in the first paragraph:

"Your application to work in Canada has been approved. A permit authorizing you to work will be issued to you
on your arrival to Canada following an examination by an officer of the Canada Border Services Agency, subject
to your compliance with the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its Regulations.
The officer will ask to see this letter, your passport and may request to see your supporting documents. Do not
pack these or other valuable papers in your checked luggage."
Old Jan 7th 2019, 7:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by matteh
Yeah, i read the same! Strange that it allows me to reapply. I assume the POE letter is the one that has this in the first paragraph:

"Your application to work in Canada has been approved. A permit authorizing you to work will be issued to you
on your arrival to Canada following an examination by an officer of the Canada Border Services Agency, subject
to your compliance with the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its Regulations.
The officer will ask to see this letter, your passport and may request to see your supporting documents. Do not
pack these or other valuable papers in your checked luggage."
Yep, your POE Letter is what gets you a work permit on entry - and it's what I always understood was your participation. As at that point you've taken a spot on the program that somebody else could have had, so it seems fair enough really.

Are you sure you got the POE Letter and not just an ITA? Did you inform CIC you wouldn't be using the POE Letter so they could open the slot up for somebody else? I'm wondering if that has made the difference?
Old Jan 7th 2019, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

I did send an email to them circa 4 months before expiration. I didn't receive a reply though.

It's highly likely that the CIC representative got it wrong, and perhaps misunderstood my situation. I still think it’s strange that I was able to re-apply in the CIC portal.

I definitely see work permit approved in the portal. I will keep you updated. Not sure what would happen if I got another invitation though?
Old Jan 7th 2019, 4:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

From that same link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...num=937&top=25 it says...
If your Letter of Introduction expires and you still want to come to Canada, you may submit your profile again.
I wonder if that is what they are basing allowing you to apply again on? But then on this link https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ext-steps.html it says..
Note: The expiry date of the POE letter cannot be changed or extended under any circumstance. You cannot transfer your letter to any other person or name. If the expiry date on your POE letter has passed and you haven’t come to Canada, this will count as an IEC participation. If you’re eligible for another participation, you must create a new profile.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 7th 2019 at 4:32 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
From that same link If I am issued a POE Letter but do not use it, will I get a refund? it says...
If your Letter of Introduction expires and you still want to come to Canada, you may submit your profile again.
I wonder if that is what they are basing allowing you to apply again on? But then on this link https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ext-steps.html it says..
Note: The expiry date of the POE letter cannot be changed or extended under any circumstance. You cannot transfer your letter to any other person or name. If the expiry date on your POE letter has passed and you haven’t come to Canada, this will count as an IEC participation. If you’re eligible for another participation, you must create a new profile.
Contradictions all around then. Lets wait and see!
Old Jan 8th 2019, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Blue Jay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Having 2 passports in the IEC pools

Is it okay to have two different Mcgkey accounts with two different passports in the working holiday pools? Or will you be penalized?
Old Jan 8th 2019, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up Second round of Invitations for the UK IEC: who else DIDN'T receive one?

I signed up the 4th of December and haven't received one. However many people who signed up this weekend already have theirs. Who else from the UK hasn't been invited?

- I have a sob story tied to why I am trying to go back to Canada on the IEC so it's quite a stressful, emotional time. Feel free to share your story-
Old Jan 8th 2019, 11:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Default Re: Second round of Invitations for the UK IEC: who else DIDN'T receive one?

Originally Posted by Blue Jay
I signed up the 4th of December and haven't received one. However many people who signed up this weekend already have theirs. Who else from the UK hasn't been invited?
4067 people according to the official info, plus probably another chunk that have applied since - so you're definitely not alone in waiting for an invite! I'm sure there are others on the forum too who will be along shortly.

I've moved your posts from the main Canada forum to this thread, where we try to keep all IEC enquiries/comments/chat.

Best of luck, hope you get an invite in the next draw.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: Second round of Invitations for the UK IEC: who else DIDN'T receive one?

4067 people according to the official info, plus probably another chunk that have applied since - so you're definitely not alone in waiting for an invite! I'm sure there are others on the forum too who will be along shortly.

I've moved your posts from the main Canada forum to this thread, where we try to keep all IEC enquiries/comments/chat.

Thank you. This is the hardest thing I've had to wait for - it's agonizing seeing that people signed up on a whim this weekend and they have all received invites. I've however been in the pool since the 4th of December, with no luck. I can't believe they don't prioritize those who sign up quickly.

Everyone I know is pretty much out there, no family or anything in the UK, I spent the last 5/6 months alone on standby twiddling my thumbs waiting for this email and it's possible it may not even come now so it's soul destroying.

I've heard the round of invites page is incorrect - someone made a spreadsheet and France for example, they have more spaces than in their actual quota. Hopefully they file the corrections this week.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 1:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Default Re: Second round of Invitations for the UK IEC: who else DIDN'T receive one?

I can't believe they don't prioritize those who sign up quickly.
Would rather defeat the point of a lottery system surely?

Everyone I know is pretty much out there, no family or anything in the UK, I spent the last 5/6 months alone on standby twiddling my thumbs waiting for this email and it's possible it may not even come now so it's soul destroying.
Is there no other visa route open to you? Might be worth starting a new thread giving details of your time in Canada, when you left, what you did for a job, which province, your education level, etc, etc, and seeing if anybody can suggest a Plan B. If you've already lived and worked in Canada it would be very unusual for you not to qualify for PR via one of the 50+ routes.

I've heard the round of invites page is incorrect - someone made a spreadsheet and France for example, they have more spaces than in their actual quota. Hopefully they file the corrections this week.
3 spaces extra only - and there will be a reason for that. They're usually pretty accurate, although of course not updated too regularly, so most data is out of date even before it's published.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

. I can't believe they don't prioritize those who sign up quickly.
Once upon a time they did... and it was nothing short of a disaster once this program became as popular as it is now.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Do you know if it's OK to have two mcgkey profiles for 2 separate passports / Dual Nationality at the same time? For example, UK and Ireland both in the working holiday pool. Won't they see my names and details twice and potentially penalize against being in the pool with 2 different passports at the same time or is it okay to do? I can't find any information about this online.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.