IEC 2017

Old Sep 28th 2017, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC 2017

Originally Posted by BNH43
If I'm reading this correctly it sounds like you would need to provide all the evidence again to re-enter.

Personally I'd be surprised if they gave you a hard time over it when you had already been issued it once. But at the same time I would also bring all the necessary evidence just in case you get somebody who is having a bad day and wants to jerk you around.

Perhaps keep all the evidence in a folder and stash it with your belongings? A user above suggested keeping the evidence on your phone but I personally wouldn't want to risk that something goes wrong and you get denied entry.
You have already arrived and been issued the work permit so the proof of funds etc is no longer required. The re-entry is based on still being admissible to Canada i.e. you have no outstanding charges or have been convicted of any offences since you initially arrived or not destitute or carrying a deadly communicable disease.
The reason I know this is because Im a CBSA officer.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 6:26 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CRAY
does anybody have any experience with leaving the country and returning whilst on the IEC? i.e for a vacation, or to visit family etc.

Some of my friends are going to Vegas in a couple months and I was thinking about joining them for a few days?

Do you need to take all your original paperwork with you for re-entry? Proof of funds, insurance etc to be admissible. What a nightmare it would be after going through all that the initial time to be denied upon return ...Gulp!
This is definitely nothing to worry about. I've done it myself in the past. Just don't try anything clever with customs and you'll be treated just like any other returning Canadian resident.

If you're going by land though then I'd echo Vulcanoid's comments. Make sure you surrender the I-94W upon re-entry to Canada. You're just causing unnecessary hassle for the sake of $6 otherwise.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

If I'm reading this correctly it sounds like you would need to provide all the evidence again to re-enter.

Personally I'd be surprised if they gave you a hard time over it when you had already been issued it once. But at the same time I would also bring all the necessary evidence just in case you get somebody who is having a bad day and wants to jerk you around.

Perhaps keep all the evidence in a folder and stash it with your belongings? A user above suggested keeping the evidence on your phone but I personally wouldn't want to risk that something goes wrong and you get denied entry.
Been through the border multiple times and only handed over work permit and passport. You're treated as a resident when entering so will be subject to same customs limits as PR and Citizens.

Anyway, who can easily maintain a pool of $2500 especially in the bigger cities on minimum wage/having to work multiple jobs. Just not a reasonable expectation for the IEC which is why it's not asked for after being issued a work permit.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 12:21 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
You're treated as a resident when entering so will be subject to same customs limits as PR and Citizens.
Which technically shouldn't be the case because barring consumables (tabacco, booze etc) anything you bring back should be leaving with you when your status expires.

When I first arrived on IEC many years ago I was told in no uncertain terms by a customs officer that the normal rules (goods to follow etc) didn't apply because it was assumed I would either be taking my stuff back home with me in 1/2 years time or throwing it away.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Which technically shouldn't be the case because barring consumables (tabacco, booze etc) anything you bring back should be leaving with you when your status expires.

When I first arrived on IEC many years ago I was told in no uncertain terms by a customs officer that the normal rules (goods to follow etc) didn't apply because it was assumed I would either be taking my stuff back home with me in 1/2 years time or throwing it away.
Yeah I get what you're saying and that would in an ideal world make sense, I'm not really referring to goods to follow, simply bringing back purchases etc on your person which temporary residents fall into the same bucket in terms of time frames and $ value allowances as citizens &, which a lot of IEC participants, students etc assume doesn't apply to them.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 9:06 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Yeah I get what you're saying and that would in an ideal world make sense, I'm not really referring to goods to follow, simply bringing back purchases etc on your person which temporary residents fall into the same bucket in terms of time frames and $ value allowances as citizens &, which a lot of IEC participants, students etc assume doesn't apply to them.
Well to be honest, this came from the CBSA and not me. When we first arrived on IEC I prepared everything exactly as the CBSA's website advised at the time for a newly arriving resident. In response, the guy at customs looked at us like we were from the moon.

When we returned as residents later on from a trip abroad we were only asked how much alcohol and tobacco we were bringing back. They weren't interested in anything else which seemed fair enough to me since those two things are heavily taxed and regulated consumables in Canada.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 3:22 am
Just Joined

LDN_Kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I am preparing for my arrival in Canada to activate my IEC and have a few questions.
I lived in Queensland and need to provide my driving history (although never drove or held a license). I sent my application for this by post many months ago and have received nothing. I am chasing this with them but I wondered if anyone has actually had to show their's at the border? I am a little panicked over this so any help/advice would be really appreciated.

Also...any tips on insurance that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 11th 2018, 3:34 am
Just Joined

BNH43 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LDN_Kiwi
Hi all,

I am preparing for my arrival in Canada to activate my IEC and have a few questions.
I lived in Queensland and need to provide my driving history (although never drove or held a license). I sent my application for this by post many months ago and have received nothing. I am chasing this with them but I wondered if anyone has actually had to show their's at the border? I am a little panicked over this so any help/advice would be really appreciated.

Also...any tips on insurance that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks for the help!
Hi LDN_Kiwi, I must be subscribed to your posts or something as I got an e-mail notification!

You may recall I had a similar situation to you (lived in QLD as an adult, no driver's license, AusPost nearly lost my original form but eventually I got the piece of paper), when I showed up at YVR in October they did not check that, they didn't even check if I had insurance or enough money.

Believe me I did show up with everything but all the immigration officer asked for was my passport and the port of entry letter. They returned 10 minutes later with the IMM1442 and that was it.

So you got the port of entry letter without submitting evidence you didn't have a QLD driver's license? In that case, don't stress.

On the IRCC site they say you only need to have copies of documents you provided for your permit application.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...e-arrival.html

I purchased health insurance through these guys, https://arbetovinsurance.com/iec-travel-insurance/ but I have no idea if an immigration officer would be satisfied with it since I never got the chance to present the insurance details!
Old Jan 11th 2018, 3:46 am
Just Joined

Hi LDN_Kiwi, I must be subscribed to your posts or something as I got an e-mail notification!

You may recall I had a similar situation to you (lived in QLD as an adult, no driver's license, AusPost nearly lost my original form but eventually I got the piece of paper), when I showed up at YVR in October they did not check that, they didn't even check if I had insurance or enough money.

So you got the port of entry letter without submitting evidence you didn't have a QLD driver's license? In that case, don't stress.

On the IRCC site they say you only need to have copies of documents you provided for your permit application.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...e-arrival.html

I purchased health insurance through these guys, https://arbetovinsurance.com/iec-travel-insurance/ but I have no idea if an immigration officer would be satisfied with it since I never got the chance to present the insurance details!
Hi BNH43! Thanks for such a quick and helpful response!

I submitted a copy of my transport history application which they must have accepted on the understanding that I would receive one....so a bit nervous it will pop up at the border that they need to check it! Would be great if what happened to you happens to me at the border!

Cheers for the insurance tip - On their website now. Any advice for which bank to go with?

Thanks again for all your help!
Old Jan 11th 2018, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the coverage level gone for, Arbetov can be described as "worrying", or "comicly inadequate".

You can buy 'coverage' of $25k through them (which their website starts at). This would buy you approximately one ambulance journey and four days of care in a Canadian hospital.

They max out at $300k.

With Alpha and True Traveller (the 2 I used for 2 IECs) I had $10m. Medical care in north america is very, very expensive.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 4:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Depending on the coverage level gone for, Arbetov can be described as "worrying", or "comicly inadequate".

You can buy 'coverage' of $25k through them (which their website starts at). This would buy you approximately one ambulance journey and four days of care in a Canadian hospital.

They max out at $300k.

With Alpha and True Traveller (the 2 I used for 2 IECs) I had $10m. Medical care in north america is very, very expensive.
Yeah it is the absolute bare bones.

I think the key is to get covered under the provinces' MSP and try not to go under a bus during the waiting period.

Because I'm working as a contractor the BC MSP is giving me a massively hard time with regards to coverage, their rules for people on working holiday visas are just ridiculously strict. Believe me I'm damn scared of runaway buses as it'd be financially ruinous.

Edit: Also as far as I know True Traveller isn't available to Australians
Old Jan 11th 2018, 4:05 am
Just Joined

Hi BNH43! Thanks for such a quick and helpful response!

I submitted a copy of my transport history application which they must have accepted on the understanding that I would receive one....so a bit nervous it will pop up at the border that they need to check it! Would be great if what happened to you happens to me at the border!

Cheers for the insurance tip - On their website now. Any advice for which bank to go with?

Thanks again for all your help!
Good luck with QLD, their state government is hopeless but hopefully they'll come through in the end.

With insurance the coverage there is just the cheapest, dodgiest coverage. If your goal is to save as much money as possible, take the cheapest option. If you actually want something which has decent coverage then you'll have to look elsewhere.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

chaish is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a question about work and education history. It asks for work history for the past 10 years. For most of those 10 years I was either studying or working which I have listed, however there is a 2 month gap where I took a vacation and did some travel through Europe.

My question is: Does the work and education history need to be continuous with no gaps? It doesn't specify in the form so I left a gap of two months.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Another question from me sorry!

With the proof of funds, does the $2500CAD include the funds for a return ticket or is that in addition to it?

Thanks for everyone's help
Old Jan 18th 2018, 4:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Another question from me sorry!

With the proof of funds, does the $2500CAD include the funds for a return ticket or is that in addition to it?

Thanks for everyone's help
In addition to.

HTH.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.