IEC 2017

Old Apr 10th 2017, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC 2017

Originally Posted by LDN_Kiwi
Hi All!
Also, has anyone managed to get a 24 month visa with only 1 year's insurance? I don't know if I will do 1 or 2 years yet but don't want the option to be taken away!

All help much appreciated!

Thanks
CIC's rules are explicit, and clear. Your work permit will be issued for no longer than the length of your insurance, and if you choose to arrive with short insurance, your permit cannot be extended later.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

CRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Theprestige94
Looking for a bit of advice, I applied for the IEC at the start of December but had no communication as of yet. Is this normal or have I been rejected and they just haven't told me yet.

Kindest Regards

Dylan
I haven't received even a sniff yet and applied the day it opened back in October. The most exciting thing that's happened since I applied was that my application randomly disappeared from my account. Still an issue I have No clue about. Luckily I had written my app number down and was able to link it back to my account. In addition I selected the "receive monthly updates about my application via email" box and entered my email and haven't heard anything from that either.

I have to admit I hugely preferred the old style of application where it was first come first serve. At least that was like you knew whether you were in or out within a matter of weeks and had some control over the process. This so far has been 6 months of just painful waiting, and it looking inevitably like being disappointment as the work permit numbers dwindle and little you can do about it. The whole process has left me a little demoralized compared to the old style.

uyyyyy... Rant over
Old Apr 11th 2017, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

LDN_Kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BNH43
You'll need to get some basic traveller insurance that is valid for the duration of your stay but depending on what province you're moving to you may be eligible for a provincial healthcare plan which can cut down the cost (in some provinces these may actually be mandatory, like BC).

The idea is your travel insurance will cover absolute worst case scenarios (repatriation, etc.) but you just use the local medical services plan for everything else. You don't necessarily need to get gouged for added extras like insurance against skiing accidents too, as the MSPs may cover injuries resulting from such an accident, but obviously check first.

Here's the link for BC's medical services plan eligibility, as an example: Working Holiday Programs - Province of British Columbia
Thanks! This is really helpful I had no idea. Sounds like you need a permanent job in order to apply for the MSP which I don't think I will have before I actually enter so I think that would cause me some issues at the border. So you think I could get a really basic travel insurance for the purpose of the visa then once I am in sign up for the local medical services?
Old Apr 11th 2017, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! This is really helpful I had no idea. Sounds like you need a permanent job in order to apply for the MSP which I don't think I will have before I actually enter so I think that would cause me some issues at the border. So you think I could get a really basic travel insurance for the purpose of the visa then once I am in sign up for the local medical services?
It won't change anything at the border. At the border you need insurance for the full time you want to be in Canada that covers medical care, hospitalisation, and repatriation.

If you later qualify for provincial healthcare, then that might save you some money (eg if you need medical care which is covered by provincial healthcare so you don't need to pay your travel insurance deductible), but intending to go onto provincial health insurance is explicitly not adequate. Prepare for arrival – International Experience Canada
Old Apr 11th 2017, 7:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to Vulcan's excellent advice, please ensure that your health/travel policy also allows you to work! You want to look for 'gap year' or 'backpacker' insurance, that includes healthcare, repatriation and working. It's really not worth skimping on!

Old Apr 17th 2017, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

tariqbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

The IEC website states:

You must provide a clear, readable copy of your passport.

What exactly will I need to submit? Just a copy of the photo page?

I assume I do not need to submit the passport itself? I will be travelling a lot over the next month and can't be without my passport.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tariqbutt
The IEC website states:

You must provide a clear, readable copy of your passport.

What exactly will I need to submit? Just a copy of the photo page?

I assume I do not need to submit the passport itself? I will be travelling a lot over the next month and can't be without my passport.
When you go into submit your full application, there will be a small ? in a box next to the line for this part of the application. Clicking into it will tell you something a long the lines of
  • A clear photocopy of photo ID page
  • a photocopy of any other stamped pages

Usually no need to send passport. Don't think I've seen anyone ever asked to submit the passport in full.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

After I accept the invitation to apply, I then have 20 days I believe to get the documents together. If I do not manage to complete the application during that time can I still re-join the pool again this year? (I am from Ireland so there is still places available)
Old Apr 20th 2017, 3:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

After I accept the invitation to apply, I then have 20 days I believe to get the documents together. If I do not manage to complete the application during that time can I still re-join the pool again this year? (I am from Ireland so there is still places available)
Invitations to Apply – International Experience Canada

HTH.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yeah I saw that but it doesnt seem to answer my question.
It says "If you do not respond by the deadline shown in the invitation, the invitation will expire." but that is refering to the invitation to apply (which you have 10 days to respond to). I am wondering about after I accept the invitation to apply what happens if I dont get that completed in time (where I have 20 days to respond to). Can I re-apply?
Old Apr 20th 2017, 4:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I saw that but it doesnt seem to answer my question.
It says "If you do not respond by the deadline shown in the invitation, the invitation will expire." but that is refering to the invitation to apply (which you have 10 days to respond to). I am wondering about after I accept the invitation to apply what happens if I dont get that completed in time (where I have 20 days to respond to). Can I re-apply?
If you're worried about not being able to get everything submitted in the 20 days, then just don't accept the invite - no point in accepting it, paying the fee, and taking a place from somebody else if you don't think you will be applying anyway.

The CIC website states "Note: You can receive only one invitation to apply during each round of invitations.", so I don't know if it would be your one and only chance, better not to risk it, although you can of course usually upload something to explain why you can't submit everything within the deadline (i.e. in the case of an FBI check you'd submit an explanation together with proof that you have ordered it).

HTH.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much for the info.
The issue is something I mentioned before on this thread which is that I cant travel to Canada within the next year. I am thus trying to push out the date as far as possible the start date of my visa.
I have received an invitation and it currently has 2 days left to accept it on. I would prefer to decline it and then accept an offer in a couple of months (meaning I could then hold the letter for up to a year once I have received it and thus delay my arrival in Canada.)
I am 36 in november so I cant apply next year.
I am trying to weigh up accepting it or playing my luck but ideally Id like to see next weeks stats for Ireland which are updated every Friday to see how many visas are left after the recent offers. I am thus trying to decide whether to accept now or decline.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 5:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you very much for the info.
The issue is something I mentioned before on this thread which is that I cant travel to Canada within the next year. I am thus trying to push out the date as far as possible the start date of my visa.
I have received an invitation and it currently has 2 days left to accept it on. I would prefer to decline it and then accept an offer in a couple of months (meaning I could then hold the letter for up to a year once I have received it and thus delay my arrival in Canada.)
I am 36 in november so I cant apply next year.
I am trying to weigh up accepting it or playing my luck but ideally Id like to see next weeks stats for Ireland which are updated every Friday to see how many visas are left after the recent offers. I am thus trying to decide whether to accept now or decline.
Why can't you travel in the next year, couldn't you just pop over to activate the IEC before the deadline and then return to Ireland whilst you finish up whatever it is you're doing (I'm assuming studying or similar)? You wouldn't get the full 2 years that way, but at least then you wouldn't miss out on the IEC program completely.

If you can't travel at all in the next year, then no point in applying at all IMO, it would be a waste of money. So I'd just decline and hope you get re-invited personally.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

I could certainly pop over and start the visa but Id prefer to get the whole 2 years. Current stats are below which to me looks optimistic to get offered again if I decline?
Quota: 7,700
First round of invitations: November 28, 2016 - December 3, 2016
Final round of invitations: To be announced
Invitations issued to date: 7,622
Spots available: 3,416
Candidates in the pool: 139
Old Apr 20th 2017, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but at some (as yet) unspecified date, the IEC 2017 season is going to close and that does not necessarily mean when all the spots are used up. I expect it will be a while yet but who knows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.