IEC 2017

Old Oct 7th 2016, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

acarlin95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IEC 2017 Dates

Haha sorry I've just joined this today and don't really know what I'm doing! I'll try that now thank you
Old Oct 7th 2016, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Castello is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PB65
Once the POE letter is issued if you do not use it that is your one and only opportunity as you would still be considered as having participated even though not having landed in Canada. The process is based on the age you are when applying and get accepted not when you arrive in Canada so if you were 29 on arrival you would go through to 31 the full 2 years being from the UK with only provisos being your passport is valid for full term and as said before you arrive with travel insurance for 2 years.. Obviously given the random nature of being selected as 30 approaches you could miss out with no invite as the quota for each year passes. AS FL has said I am assuming you are a UK/British Citizen and currently would get a 2 year permit if successful/granted at border, other countries have a mix of 12 or 24 months that is all explained on the CIC website..
Would not using the IEC go against you if you decided to apply in the future for one of the other entry methods e.g. Express Entry?
Old Oct 7th 2016, 7:55 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Castello
Would not using the IEC go against you if you decided to apply in the future for one of the other entry methods e.g. Express Entry?

No
Old Oct 7th 2016, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

samjam1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by acarlin95
Haha sorry I've just joined this today and don't really know what I'm doing! I'll try that now thank you
Haha that's ok, people are really helpful on here and provide a lot of helpful and useful information.

That might be the best bet for you to start your own thread, I've started loads. Haha
Old Oct 8th 2016, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

CRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC 2017

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Probably depends on the person & their situation. I'd rather know - most of us got through first-come-first-served, and knew we had our permits. People on place about 7500+ knew they weren't going to get one. Only about 2k people were in a limbo of might-might-not.

It's easy to say, getting a first-round permit each time, that I preferred it that way, but the way I structured mine, with a year's leave from work that had to take place between two specific dates (municipal calendar) would have been much harder to arrange with the random draw.

Personally, I feel the hell in the old system was about 10 minutes of typing, while hell in the new system is 8 months of waiting with random results *shrug*. That said, I know people who feel the new one is fairer, because I basically won my place through being a fast typist.

+2 on this, although there is a lot less concentrated adrenaline this time than when I did it last, and I would agree that it was a pretty awful day waiting for the pool to open back then, but like vulcanoid said this is now a whole potential year of stress not knowing your future fate.

I'm applying this time for the IEC to be with my Canadian girlfriend as we're fed up doing the long distance thing any more, and when she asked when I might be able to leave I could only respond with maybe weeks, maybe months or maybe never lol. You can imagine it went down well haha. at least I have a valid excuse.

In addition I also liked that my fate was 'in my own hands' to some extent before. I'm generally quiet an organized person, and was ready to go with as much knowledge as I could acquire the second the round opened.

Kind of irks me a little that this year somebody a little lazier, who decides to throw in an application mid year might take the spot of the more 'diligent' of us.

Anyway, pessimist rant over lol, I realise I'm being overly harsh there and not even sure if I would class myself as diligent hehe. There are definitely many advantages to the new system and I guess we should appreciate them.

Question for people who have done the IEC before. what information do they ask you for from your last participation? And did you use your same log in details and things for MyCIC etc?

Much love
CRAY
Old Oct 11th 2016, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CRAY
+2 on this, although there is a lot less concentrated adrenaline this time than when I did it last, and I would agree that it was a pretty awful day waiting for the pool to open back then, but like vulcanoid said this is now a whole potential year of stress not knowing your future fate.

I'm applying this time for the IEC to be with my Canadian girlfriend as we're fed up doing the long distance thing any more, and when she asked when I might be able to leave I could only respond with maybe weeks, maybe months or maybe never lol. You can imagine it went down well haha. at least I have a valid excuse.

In addition I also liked that my fate was 'in my own hands' to some extent before. I'm generally quiet an organized person, and was ready to go with as much knowledge as I could acquire the second the round opened.

Kind of irks me a little that this year somebody a little lazier, who decides to throw in an application mid year might take the spot of the more 'diligent' of us.

Anyway, pessimist rant over lol, I realise I'm being overly harsh there and not even sure if I would class myself as diligent hehe. There are definitely many advantages to the new system and I guess we should appreciate them.

Question for people who have done the IEC before. what information do they ask you for from your last participation? And did you use your same log in details and things for MyCIC etc?

Much love
CRAY
UCI on your previous work permit is handy. Other than that, usually only asked if you have previously participated, and if so when.

As for your rant, I feel your pain. I actually prefer this system though. Gone are the days when your internet connection and mouse clicking speed influenced whether you were successful or not. Unfortunately the IEC program was really only intended as a cultural exchange rather than a route to permanent residency, and as such this system still reflects that by giving everyone an "equal" opportunity of being selected. My question to you would be... why are you more entitled to a spot over someone who decides midway through the year they want to submit an application? What's to say they're lazy?
Old Oct 11th 2016, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

CRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
UCI on your previous work permit is handy. Other than that, usually only asked if you have previously participated, and if so when.

As for your rant, I feel your pain. I actually prefer this system though. Gone are the days when your internet connection and mouse clicking speed influenced whether you were successful or not. Unfortunately the IEC program was really only intended as a cultural exchange rather than a route to permanent residency, and as such this system still reflects that by giving everyone an "equal" opportunity of being selected. My question to you would be... why are you more entitled to a spot over someone who decides midway through the year they want to submit an application? What's to say they're lazy?
It is definitely true that the new system is fairer with regards to I.T skills and connection. I think my post says more about my own pessimism than it does about the new system. As you mention I don't really have any more entitlement than someone who applies later on.

I just remember being in hostels and things the last time I did the IEC and we were all discussing how stressful the rush for invitations was on those opening days.
And then you would get one or two guys who were like 'uhhhhhh.....well I just sort of threw in an application at the last minute and it seemed to go OK" lol. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just that I'm jealous of the laid back mentality

Anyhow, it wasn't really a serious poke at the new system, just sort of a half opinion, half jest.

Hmmmmmmm UCI, would that be on the actual paper work permit that they gave you when you first arrived in Canada and stapled in your passport? Because I have been back to Canada since I participated last, for a vacation, and the immigration officer tore the that thing out and took it off me (it had expired of course)
Old Oct 11th 2016, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmmmm UCI, would that be on the actual paper work permit that they gave you when you first arrived in Canada and stapled in your passport? Because I have been back to Canada since I participated last, for a vacation, and the immigration officer tore the that thing out and took it off me (it had expired of course)
Yes it would have been on there. If you still have a copy of your letter of introduction issued initially after you were approved it may also be listed on there.
Old Oct 12th 2016, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Yes it would have been on there. If you still have a copy of your letter of introduction issued initially after you were approved it may also be listed on there.
Yes, I have just dug out my old letter of introduction and thankfully it is on there too for anyone else's reference. Along with your application number, date of validity and a few other useful pieces of info.

I'm hoping that nothing is required from the actual paper work permit itself as I imagine that has long since been shredded by the chaps in the airport.
Old Oct 12th 2016, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I have just dug out my old letter of introduction and thankfully it is on there too for anyone else's reference. Along with your application number, date of validity and a few other useful pieces of info.

I'm hoping that nothing is required from the actual paper work permit itself as I imagine that has long since been shredded by the chaps in the airport.
Nothing required from the expired work permit. If we find an expired document in a persons passport we will usually remove it as its no longer valid and to also keep down the numbers of once genuine documents from being fraudulently used or information gained from them.
Old Oct 12th 2016, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Nothing required from the expired work permit. If we find an expired document in a persons passport we will usually remove it as its no longer valid and to also keep down the numbers of once genuine documents from being fraudulently used or information gained from them.
Fair play!
Old Oct 12th 2016, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

hbadamspro is an unknown quantity at this point

How long might it take to find out whether you have been successful in the process, or not?
If I was unsuccessful, could I apply next time round, and when do you think the next applications may be?
Old Oct 12th 2016, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hbadamspro
How long might it take to find out whether you have been successful in the process, or not?
If I was unsuccessful, could I apply next time round, and when do you think the next applications may be?
With the new random draw, you have to wait all year to find out you've been unsuccessful. If successful, obviously you will find out at some point, when it happens.

If you have not had the one participation you are entitled to, you can try again in a subsequent year if you still meet the eligibility requirements.
Old Oct 12th 2016, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

hbadamspro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
With the new random draw, you have to wait all year to find out you've been unsuccessful.
So this pool only opens once a year?!
Old Oct 12th 2016, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hbadamspro
So this pool only opens once a year?!

In mid-October, according to the website.

This year, it closed in, as I recall, August, some 9 months after it opened.

Entries could be made at any time during that nine month single opening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.