IEC 2017

Old Jan 11th 2017, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

hg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC 2017

Originally Posted by kswoosh
So I clicked the link showing the list of countries, and on there it says:

Temporary residents by country or territory Under Canada’s immigration law, you must have a medical exam if you:
  • want to come to Canada for more than six months, and
  • have lived or travelled for six months in a country or territory listed below in the year before you come to Canada.
Note the 'and' after the first bullet point.

Wouldn't it be nice if CIC could actually provide accurate and consistent information!!

I'm inclined to think that if they're asking for it, they need it. But knowing how temperamental the wizards can be... I'm not so sure! I'm just going to upload a letter of explanation. If they insist my girlfriend needs a medical, then they can ask for one.
Well - it is accurate and consistent. Just phrased in a very particular way. If you want to come to Canada - at all, anyone, for any reason - and you have lived in one of these places for 6mo+ in the previous year you need an exam. It isn't written specifically for IEC applicants, it's a general rule applying to anyone wishing to enter Canada at all and not exclusive of there being other rules.

On which note...what you'll probably bump up against in practice is the actual guidance to the staff involved, which states:

All International Experience Canada applicants, regardless of nationality must undergo an [Immigration Medical Exam] if they plan to work in a designated occupation, regardless of the duration of their work permit. IEC applicants must also undergo an IME if they have lived or travelled in certain countries or territories for six months or more and plan to work or reside in Canada for more than six months.
Hence - what determines whether the document request page where it asks you for scans of stuff etc requests proof of a medical exam is whether, on the page previous to that (where you list address history etc), you have listed your address as being in one of these countries for >6mo - if you delete that the request will disappear.

All of which is, again, consistent with the rules as they're stated elsewhere, notwithstanding that they're stated in an odd way.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hg42
Well - it is accurate and consistent. Just phrased in a very particular way. If you want to come to Canada - at all, anyone, for any reason - and you have lived in one of these places for 6mo+ in the previous year you need an exam. It isn't written specifically for IEC applicants, it's a general rule applying to anyone wishing to enter Canada at all and not exclusive of there being other rules.

On which note...what you'll probably bump up against in practice is the actual guidance to the staff involved, which states:

Hence - what determines whether the document request page where it asks you for scans of stuff etc requests proof of a medical exam is whether, on the page previous to that (where you list address history etc), you have listed your address as being in one of these countries for >6mo - if you delete that the request will disappear.

All of which is, again, consistent with the rules as they're stated elsewhere, notwithstanding that they're stated in an odd way.
Where did you get that screenshot from? EDIT: Just seen you linked it, my bad.

It isn't consistent! The second screenshot clearly says that you only need a medical exam if you have lived in one of the listed countries for more than six months "in the year before you come to Canada."

The first bullet point keeps the 'one year previous' bit separate. So, as you say, there's room to suggest that the two bullet points are separate (even though the second bullet point doesn't make sense without the first one).

Last edited by kswoosh; Jan 11th 2017 at 9:47 am.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

hg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kswoosh
Where did you get that screenshot from? EDIT: Just seen you linked it, my bad.

It isn't consistent! The second screenshot clearly says that you only need a medical exam if you have lived in one of the listed countries for more than six months[B] "in the year before you come to Canada."
On review, it is fine, just not specific to the IEC program. So:

- If you are applying for a visa (as a general rule - any type), and intend to stay in Canada for six or more months, you need a medical exam if you have lived in one of the listed countries for six or more months in the year before you enter Canada.

- Additionally, if you are applying specifically for an IEC visa, and intend to stay in Canada for six or more months, you need a medical exam if you have lived in one of the listed countries for six months or more, at all, [in theory ever - but in practice only in the last five years since that's as far back as the application will ask you about].

- If you are not applying for a visa because you don't need one to stay in Canada to do whatever you're doing, you still need a medical exam if you intend to stay in Canada for six months or more and have spent six months or more in one of the listed countries in the year before you enter Canada.

I think you may well be correct that per the statement here you wouldn't need a medical exam - because it's aimed at any kind of temporary residence application. As the IEC program, separately, has its own requirement that a medical exam be conducted, you would nevertheless need one - although you could go to Canada as a visitor and not need a medical exam.

( having just submitted my application and paid the fees I now have way more time to sit around on the internet and bullshit about it :V )
Old Jan 13th 2017, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

arj_1989 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone,
New to the forum and have just realised I need to pull my finger out and apply as time is running out for UK citizens.

Before I apply I was thinking of completing the police check so that I have that in hand ready for the application process. As I was reading through the thread I noticed someone had mentioned getting an Australian Federal Police check - forgive me if this is a stupid question but would I need to get one of these as well if I spent a year in Aus on a working holiday visa? I was in Australia during 2014/2015.

I look forward to any and all answers. Cheers!
Old Jan 13th 2017, 5:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arj_1989
Hey everyone,
New to the forum and have just realised I need to pull my finger out and apply as time is running out for UK citizens.

Before I apply I was thinking of completing the police check so that I have that in hand ready for the application process. As I was reading through the thread I noticed someone had mentioned getting an Australian Federal Police check - forgive me if this is a stupid question but would I need to get one of these as well if I spent a year in Aus on a working holiday visa? I was in Australia during 2014/2015.

I look forward to any and all answers. Cheers!
Hi, welcome to BE. Yes, you would need an Oz police check - you need one for any country that you've spent more than 6 months in since the age of 18.

HTH.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

If you have spent over 6 months in Australia, you will need a police check from Australia (including licence history if in VIC/QLD). No point getting the UK police check until you're invited to apply, as they could easily expire before you get an invite (6 month validity for country you're currently in, the Australia ones will be valid so long as they were issued more recently than you were last in Australia).
Old Jan 13th 2017, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for the quick reply - I've just found some more info on the CIC website which answered my question! I'm sure I will be back around at some point with more questions! Cheers
Old Jan 14th 2017, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

I'm just reading through last years IEC thread and I've come across the 'proof of funds' issue. Has anyone that's applied this year had to show proof of having $2500 during the application process? I understand that it's something they'd probably ask for when you arrive but I'm a bit surprised they'd want proof at the time of application.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

DevNinja is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone that's applied this year had to show proof of having $2500 during the application process?
You don't need proof of funds until entry this year
Old Jan 14th 2017, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DevNinja
You don't need proof of funds until entry this year
Thanks for clearing that up. I imagine they won't even ask when you get there - they didn't when I went to Oz.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for clearing that up. I imagine they won't even ask when you get there - they didn't when I went to Oz.
Its when they ask you for it and you don't have it is when you run into problems.
The flight back home might seem longer than the flight to Canada
Old Jan 15th 2017, 8:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Oz may have different requirements, but as FL has said (who by the way, is a CBSA officer in case you're not aware), you won't get the visa if you're asked for POF and can't show it, as you're not eligible without it. So not worth risking, just make sure you've got it, and ideally a bit more as most agree the $2500 is a pretty paltry amount when trying to set up life in Canada!
Old Jan 15th 2017, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

ydrp2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi -

New to the board, so apologies if this question has been asked & answered previously!

Received ITA end of Dec and submitted all forms on the 28th - still awaiting POE (hopefully this comes through soon). HOWEVER - I plan to visit Canada next week for my cousins wedding, and had applied for an eTA (now a firm requirement). Unfortunately my eTA was rejected as it stated I have an Open Work Permit - so I am exempt, but I only have an ITA not POE as yet.

Aware I will get an eTA with my POE, however my worry is that I will be turned away upon arriving in Canada unless my POE turns up early this week!

Has anyone has any experience with this??!

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ydrp2016
Hi -

New to the board, so apologies if this question has been asked & answered previously!

Received ITA end of Dec and submitted all forms on the 28th - still awaiting POE (hopefully this comes through soon). HOWEVER - I plan to visit Canada next week for my cousins wedding, and had applied for an eTA (now a firm requirement). Unfortunately my eTA was rejected as it stated I have an Open Work Permit - so I am exempt, but I only have an ITA not POE as yet.

Aware I will get an eTA with my POE, however my worry is that I will be turned away upon arriving in Canada unless my POE turns up early this week!

Has anyone has any experience with this??!

Thanks in advance.
Use this link to check if the eTA is valid
https://onlineservices-servicesenlig...296.1483282173

You won't get to Canada and be turned away as the airline won't let you fly without one.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

ydrp2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Use this link to check if the eTA is valid
https://onlineservices-servicesenlig...296.1483282173

You won't get to Canada and be turned away as the airline won't let you fly without one.
Hi - thanks for your reply. This is exactly the issue - I did get accepted for an eTA - as CIC stated I have a PR. So I do not have valid eTA - but they will not issue one either.

I think I may have to contract CIC directly. Does anyone have a number for them in the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.