IEC 2016

Old May 15th 2016, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice
Default Re: IEC 2016

Well, I arrived in Toronto today. The guy at immigration didn't even look at my insurance or bank statement. It was a very quick process. I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone in this thread who has helped me with questions etc, much appreciated.
Old May 15th 2016, 3:47 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brodel
Well, I arrived in Toronto today. The guy at immigration didn't even look at my insurance or bank statement. It was a very quick process. I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone in this thread who has helped me with questions etc, much appreciated.
Glad to hear you arrived safely and got your IEC TWP.. sods law says if you hadn't got those things with you, you would have been asked for them, lol.

Enjoy your mini trip and safe return! Hope you will still hang around BE...

Old May 15th 2016, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Bubble90 is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't been invited to apply yet but would just like to know in advance. Do driving convictions effect your IEC? Could you be denied one because of it? Maybe I'm being really silly but until now I've never had any convictions. I reversed into a ladys car a few months back, complete accident. Apparently claiming off my insurance wasn't enough so she has also reported me for careless driving which in my head sounds quite bad. Maybe it isn't?
Old May 15th 2016, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bubble90
I haven't been invited to apply yet but would just like to know in advance. Do driving convictions effect your IEC? Could you be denied one because of it? Maybe I'm being really silly but until now I've never had any convictions. I reversed into a ladys car a few months back, complete accident. Apparently claiming off my insurance wasn't enough so she has also reported me for careless driving which in my head sounds quite bad. Maybe it isn't?
It shouldn't be a problem for IEC unless the police certificate says Reckless driving or failing to remain at the scene or DUI.
Old May 18th 2016, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
It shouldn't be a problem for IEC unless the police certificate says Reckless driving or failing to remain at the scene or DUI.
Been to a solicitor that has explained to me what it is they are trying to convict me of (which she doesn't even think I will get but just thinking of worst case scenario) failure to report a road traffic collision (very unlikely I will get this) and driving without due care and attention (also thinks I can argue this one). Is it unlikely if convicted of these things that it would effect it?
Old May 24th 2016, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Been to a solicitor that has explained to me what it is they are trying to convict me of (which she doesn't even think I will get but just thinking of worst case scenario) failure to report a road traffic collision (very unlikely I will get this) and driving without due care and attention (also thinks I can argue this one). Is it unlikely if convicted of these things that it would effect it?
Have you actually been charged with the above offences, or is it at the moment just a complaint by the other driver?
Old May 24th 2016, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

pbut is an unknown quantity at this point

Is anyone else having issues getting to the sign in page on cic? I can't load it this evening 🙈
Old May 28th 2016, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Have you actually been charged with the above offences, or is it at the moment just a complaint by the other driver?
I've to go to court on the 8th where it's likely they will charge me for them. Just a great excuse for them to get a fine off me.
Old May 28th 2016, 3:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I've to go to court on the 8th where it's likely they will charge me for them. Just a great excuse for them to get a fine off me.
Which won't even come close to covering the costs of the courts time etc. I sympathise, but it's certainly not a money making exercise for them!

Good luck, hope you don't get any conviction/fine after all.
Old May 31st 2016, 9:46 am
Just Joined

OUTDOOR is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all the advice given above. I decided not to leave the UK/Europe for my approved IEC at this point in time.

Currently I am in a good finance job in London (inc. full package, benefits, etc.); my dream of living/working in Canada is still alive. Problem is that so far none of my job applications in Canada were successful or even answered.
Also, if I want to leave the UK I would have to quit and leave my job, HR told me there is no opportunity for "time off" or anything like that and upon my return I would be unemployed.

Therefore I will keep looking for jobs in Canada but I don't really see how I could make it work. Not sure how Canadian employers look at a 1 year work permit anyway...
Old May 31st 2016, 1:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OUTDOOR
Thank you for all the advice given above. I decided not to leave the UK/Europe for my approved IEC at this point in time.

Currently I am in a good finance job in London (inc. full package, benefits, etc.); my dream of living/working in Canada is still alive. Problem is that so far none of my job applications in Canada were successful or even answered.
Also, if I want to leave the UK I would have to quit and leave my job, HR told me there is no opportunity for "time off" or anything like that and upon my return I would be unemployed.

Therefore I will keep looking for jobs in Canada but I don't really see how I could make it work. Not sure how Canadian employers look at a 1 year work permit anyway...
Have you been out and job hunted in person? Or just applied for jobs via the net? If the latter, then you won't get any responses, as it's just not the way things are done in Canada - I'd suggest you have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki. You would be unlikely to struggle to find a job once in Canada with an IEC, but unlikely to find anything from the UK.

You mention 1 year, out of interest why only 1 year? Are you not from the UK?
Old May 31st 2016, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

OUTDOOR is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been looking for a job in Canada for about 4 years now, have bought local phone DIDs (voip phone numbers), so all my applications have a local address and phone number matching to the region where I am applying for jobs (mainly Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, ..) . Also bought Rogers SIM cards during my last trip. So the employers can not "see" that I am not local.

Half my family lives in the USA, the other half in Canada; residential addresses are also not a problem (family sponsored visa would actually be also possible, albeit not the easiest route).

I will keep looking for jobs but as long as there are no interview requests I don't see why I should risk quitting and leaving the UK, unfortunately. I have multiple passports and residences - my non-UK passport was the selected one for IEC - only 1 year was granted even though I wrote a long letter to the IEC kindly asking for two years.

There is probably the opportunity to "network" locally and joining professional organizations - but my industry typically does go through the "regular application process" due to various compliance/regulatory reasons and culture. Not sure if there is a huge upside of being there at the moment. It is not a bad idea though.

I could also ask for an internal company transfer to another country (US or CA) but that would be another visa process and more for the long-term. Nothing to do with IEC. As far as I can see there are no IEC related internal moves/job transfers possible due to various reasons.
Old May 31st 2016, 6:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I have been looking for a job in Canada for about 4 years now, have bought local phone DIDs (voip phone numbers), so all my applications have a local address and phone number matching to the region where I am applying for jobs (mainly Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, ..) . Also bought Rogers SIM cards during my last trip. So the employers can not "see" that I am not local.
Yes, but how are you actually applying? As per the Wiki, have you been out and job hunted in person? If so, then I agree that perhaps quitting your job isn't a good idea, as if you've been out there and trying for 4 years, then it seems your job isn't in demand there at all. Most people do manage to find a job offer when they go to Canada though, so that's quite unusual (just for the sake of anybody else reading!).

I have multiple passports and residences - my non-UK passport was the selected one for IEC - only 1 year was granted even though I wrote a long letter to the IEC kindly asking for two years.
A letter wouldn't be of any use, if the country you've been selected under only gets 1 year, then they won't make any exception for that.

There is probably the opportunity to "network" locally and joining professional organizations - but my industry typically does go through the "regular application process" due to various compliance/regulatory reasons and culture. Not sure if there is a huge upside of being there at the moment. It is not a bad idea though.
The upside is that is it the *only* way most get job offers. It's very rare to get a job offer from the UK unless you have skills very much in demand, as the whole hiring culture is different and really you need to knock on doors, phone people and ask to meet them for a coffee/chat etc. The majority of people on the forum who have gone over on TWP's have done so after going out and job hunting in person, and doing that all important 'networking' - again this is all outlined in the Wiki.

I could also ask for an internal company transfer to another country (US or CA) but that would be another visa process and more for the long-term. Nothing to do with IEC. As far as I can see there are no IEC related internal moves/job transfers possible due to various reasons.
Reasons at your company? If a transfer is possible, then there wouldn't need to be 'another visa process' if you have an IEC, so that should be quite appealing to your company. If you think it's an option, it's worth checking out perhaps?

Best of luck.
Old May 31st 2016, 7:31 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I will keep looking for jobs but as long as there are no interview requests I don't see why I should risk quitting and leaving the UK,
Well that is what most of us did on an IEC. We took the risk to see if we could make a life in Canada.

It's not just about money you know
Old May 31st 2016, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the thing about this is that you have taken a place away from someone who would be very keen to go ...

Sorry, shouldn't judge but am doing.

Also, be sure you don't want to take this opportunity. It's written on the CIC website somewhere, that if you are issued an LOI, that counts as your allocation even if you don't use it. Here it is:

If I am issued a POE Letter but do not use it, will I get a refund?

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.