IEC 2015

Old Aug 25th 2015, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

craigthemason is a jewel in the roughcraigthemason is a jewel in the roughcraigthemason is a jewel in the roughcraigthemason is a jewel in the roughcraigthemason is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: IEC 2015

Originally Posted by thelikelylad
Was being quoted £400+ for similar cover and I'm 27. Looking at alpha now though.

On an unrelated note what are people doing to take money into the country, taking physical cash in or setting up an account then doing an international transfer or something entirely different?
It would be hard to set up an account before actually being there.
The rate is pretty great for us at the min, $2.09 to £1
Cash from the post office is usually a good bet. (Order online they even deliver for free, or head to office)

Travellers cheques are safer and may have a slightly better rate, but you can generally only exchange a certain amount per day in a bank once you're there (Unless you open an account where you can probably cash more/all)

Either way, take at least some cash dollars
Old Aug 25th 2015, 5:41 pm
Frequent Lurker...

thelikelylad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by craigthemason
It would be hard to set up an account before actually being there.
The rate is pretty great for us at the min, $2.09 to £1
Cash from the post office is usually a good bet. (Order online they even deliver for free, or head to office)

Travellers cheques are safer and may have a slightly better rate, but you can generally only exchange a certain amount per day in a bank once you're there (Unless you open an account where you can probably cash more/all)

Either way, take at least some cash dollars
Yeah that was my thoughts too but not particularly keen on taking thousands of dollars in cash... 😕
Old Aug 27th 2015, 7:51 pm
Frequent Lurker...

Ok folks so I've just had a financial body blow before flying out and I'm wondering if anyone can advise how much they took over in the past or if you're willing to say how much you're taking? Feeling a little bit apprehensive as my bank balance is going to halve before I leave 😔 Stupid PCP contracts...
Old Aug 28th 2015, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thelikelylad
Ok folks so I've just had a financial body blow before flying out and I'm wondering if anyone can advise how much they took over in the past or if you're willing to say how much you're taking? Feeling a little bit apprehensive as my bank balance is going to halve before I leave 😔 Stupid PCP contracts...
It depends when you are heading but you should have at least the first months rent + whatever the deposit is (in BC it's 1/2 months rent). If you are staying in a hostel/hotel, you'll need a bit more cash as you'll end up eating out a lot. I personally wouldn't head over with anything less than $7000 but then I'm a bit paranoid about money.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 4:34 pm
Frequent Lurker...

Originally Posted by bc2015
It depends when you are heading but you should have at least the first months rent + whatever the deposit is (in BC it's 1/2 months rent). If you are staying in a hostel/hotel, you'll need a bit more cash as you'll end up eating out a lot. I personally wouldn't head over with anything less than $7000 but then I'm a bit paranoid about money.
Yeah I was going to be taking $7000 but that's been well and truly hit on the head. I'm fortunate in that I'll be staying with a friend for a few months until I find my feet anyway so although I'll be contributing to his household it won't be a full living expense... Plans of getting a car are over now though. He's in Toronto and not to far from the subway so should be ok for transport around the city just have to hope anything I get is near some public transport!
Old Aug 31st 2015, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

SeanP1875 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All, my girlfriend and I are both looking at applying for the IEC next year. We are both keen to move to a new city, however, one of the problems we have is that we don't know what kind of work is available to people on the IEC. I am keen to work in a professional role, continuing to work or seek employment in research, economic development, general economics or finance however I get the feeling that the IEC isn't really for those looking for this kind of work. As I have just completed an MSc in economics I want to continue working in this field. Any information about the kinds of work which are available to those moving to Canada through the IEC would be greatly appreciated. May it actually make more sense to apply for the Express Entry?
Old Aug 31st 2015, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SeanP1875
Hi All, my girlfriend and I are both looking at applying for the IEC next year. We are both keen to move to a new city, however, one of the problems we have is that we don't know what kind of work is available to people on the IEC. I am keen to work in a professional role, continuing to work or seek employment in research, economic development, general economics or finance however I get the feeling that the IEC isn't really for those looking for this kind of work. As I have just completed an MSc in economics I want to continue working in this field. Any information about the kinds of work which are available to those moving to Canada through the IEC would be greatly appreciated. May it actually make more sense to apply for the Express Entry?
IEC participants can and have applied for practically any role. There are obvious exceptions, none of which apply to you from what you are describing
Old Aug 31st 2015, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

All types of work are available to IEC participants however some jobs require having a medical or having credentials assessed or tests taken.
The IEC was INTENDED to be a working holiday for people between 18 to 30/35 and was never intended to be a route for getting PR status. People would come for a year or 2 travel around and then return to their own country.
More and more are now using the IEC to try and get PR status as their country has a lack of jobs.
The trick to any job is finding an employer willing to take you on and you fit their requirements. If I was an employer I would be looking at hiring someone who might become an asset and want to stay long term as opposed to just looking for short term employment. The IEC is a good way to gain Canadian experience and now with 2 year work permits allows you to look at other routes to become a PR such as Canadian Experience Class or a PNP nomination.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

SeanP1875 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
All types of work are available to IEC participants however some jobs require having a medical or having credentials assessed or tests taken.
The IEC was INTENDED to be a working holiday for people between 18 to 30/35 and was never intended to be a route for getting PR status. People would come for a year or 2 travel around and then return to their own country.
More and more are now using the IEC to try and get PR status as their country has a lack of jobs.
The trick to any job is finding an employer willing to take you on and you fit their requirements. If I was an employer I would be looking at hiring someone who might become an asset and want to stay long term as opposed to just looking for short term employment. The IEC is a good way to gain Canadian experience and now with 2 year work permits allows you to look at other routes to become a PR such as Canadian Experience Class or a PNP nomination.
So you would suggest that I enter Canada with the IEC and that employers are not going to frown upon it? If I find the right employment I probably would stay, our plan is to get the 2 year visa and then take it from there.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 7:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

So you would suggest that I enter Canada with the IEC and that employers are not going to frown upon it? If I find the right employment I probably would stay, our plan is to get the 2 year visa and then take it from there.
For most people, it's the only option. You mention applying via Express Entry, that's a good option if you definitely score enough to be in with a chance of being selected from the pool (above approx 450), but if not, and you need Canadian experience to push your points score up or to convince an employer to 'sponsor' you for PR, then IEC is definitely your best bet.

Good luck.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

-dodgy Geezer- is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I have been given and place on the quota after having been on the waiting list. I have just submitted my application to receive my CAL. I want to prepare the necessary documents now as i may not have access to a scanner when i receive my CAL. What are the required scanned documents required for apply for a working holiday visa. What are the specific requirement for the passport photo? I.E file size/dpi etc.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Sep 19th 2015, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by -dodgy Geezer-
Hello,

I have been given and place on the quota after having been on the waiting list. I have just submitted my application to receive my CAL. I want to prepare the necessary documents now as i may not have access to a scanner when i receive my CAL. What are the required scanned documents required for apply for a working holiday visa. What are the specific requirement for the passport photo? I.E file size/dpi etc.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Application Guide for Foreign Applicants – International Experience Canada (IEC)
Old Sep 19th 2015, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Shenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond repute

anyone has an answer to this question on the come to Canada wizard?

Have you visited or lived in any one of the designated countries for 6 consecutive months in the last year?

i live in England. is the answer to this question yes or no?

Ta!
Old Sep 19th 2015, 3:06 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shenkor
anyone has an answer to this question on the come to Canada wizard?

Have you visited or lived in any one of the designated countries for 6 consecutive months in the last year?

i live in England. is the answer to this question yes or no?

Ta!
Is England listed as one of the designated countries?
Old Sep 19th 2015, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Shenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Is England listed as one of the designated countries?
Thanks Beckiwoo.
Yes UK is one of the countries liisted.

But what has me confused is the, question was preceded by medical question (something like: have had a medical by CIC approved physician in the past 12 months? which my answer was no). So i don’t know if the question is independent to verify where i live or related to medical checks? Because in some of the countries listed, on the third column it indicates if a medical is required or not.

The work i do does not require medical check. I will be working as database manager.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.