IEC 2015

Old Mar 5th 2015, 8:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC 2015

Originally Posted by La_LuNa
depends where..
in MB uncle could sponsor him
They're in Toronto, or at least they were when he last asked about it - http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...as-etc-786106/

Leaf25, the advice given in your previous thread still stands, your uncle cannot sponsor you. Maybe have another read of that?
Old Mar 5th 2015, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Leaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They're in Toronto, or at least they were when he last asked about it - http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...as-etc-786106/

Leaf25, the advice given in your previous thread still stands, your uncle cannot sponsor you. Maybe have another read of that?
Ye that's what I thought. Was just thinking out loud!

As for the changing to visitor status is it form IMM 5708?

I'm confused if you do it online is it supposed to be quicker? Or of you mail the form/documents it takes longer, but as soon as you send everything your on implied status anyway? I got over a month but don't mind which option I use just want to make sure I'm on it when IEC expires.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

David3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leaf25

I'm confused if you do it online is it supposed to be quicker? Or of you mail the form/documents it takes longer, but as soon as you send everything your on implied status anyway? I got over a month but don't mind which option I use just want to make sure I'm on it when IEC expires.
Onlines quicker I think, and you're on implied visitor status after twp expires so long as you sent the visitor permit application to CIC.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

chrisflats is a jewel in the roughchrisflats is a jewel in the roughchrisflats is a jewel in the roughchrisflats is a jewel in the roughchrisflats is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Leaf25

I was struggling too, if you log into your cic account (used it for your previous iec application) it becomes a lot easier. Just make sure you do the coming to canada questionnaire beforehand, as you'll need a code
Old Mar 5th 2015, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Leaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David3627
Onlines quicker I think, and you're on implied visitor status after twp expires so long as you sent the visitor permit application to CIC.
Well I don't want to stop working right this minute. I have several weeks yet, but I also want to give CIC enough time to process things

If I do the online form this afternoon, I would be ok to stay after the TWP expires, just not employed anywhere (effectively a tourist) until I get my POE, at which point I can flagpole????
Old Mar 5th 2015, 6:30 pm
PottsyJ

Joepottinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, I have been looking into things with my current situation and just have a question or two that I am hoping someone may be able to help with. My 2014 IEC visa has expired now but I have a job in the UK working a month at sea and then a month onshore. I am a UK citizen but I have a girlfriend in Canada and would like to work towards getting PR. Anybody know if I should apply for another IEC visa or just go in as a visitor every month I am onshore until we can get common law sponsorship for PR? Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 6:32 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joepottinger
Hi guys, I have been looking into things with my current situation and just have a question or two that I am hoping someone may be able to help with. My 2014 IEC visa has expired now but I have a job in the UK working a month at sea and then a month onshore. I am a UK citizen but I have a girlfriend in Canada and would like to work towards getting PR. Anybody know if I should apply for another IEC visa or just go in as a visitor every month I am onshore until we can get common law sponsorship for PR? Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks.
If you are working a month at sea then you will struggle to get PR through common-law sponsorship. You need to have more proof that you have actually been living together for a full year; this will be more difficult if you are working abroad and only entering Canada as a visitor. I also suspect that after a few entrances Canada is going to get grumpy about allowing you entrance every other month for a year.

If you're serious together, then getting married and applying might be a better option.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Would you qualify for Common Law if you're away from her for a month at a time on a regular basis? I thought more than a few days was pushing it.

Surely the best option for you is to apply for the two year IEC, as that gives you more rights and options - only downside is the cost of applying & insurance.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 6:43 pm
PottsyJ

Thanks for the replies. Yeah that's what I was thinking that me working back home would cause problems but I believe there is something called conjugal relationship that can be a sponsorship option as well. It's such a struggle to find work in my field in Canada as the only places that have offshore work is Newfoundland and some in Halifax. Don't know what to do really with it because its such a tricky thing to get around to be allowed to stay with her.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. Yeah that's what I was thinking that me working back home would cause problems but I believe there is something called conjugal relationship that can be a sponsorship option as well. It's such a struggle to find work in my field in Canada as the only places that have offshore work is Newfoundland and some in Halifax. Don't know what to do really with it because its such a tricky thing to get around to be allowed to stay with her.
AIUI, conjugal sponsorship only exists for couples who cannot get married, rather than those who choose not to - e.g. a gay couple from Saudi Arabia. If you're a regular, 2-person, adult-age heterosexual or homosexual couple from the first world you'll be expected to be legally married, or living together for common law.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 6:59 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Vulcanoid is correct. Don't even bother trying to apply as conjugal, you will NOT be successful.

Conjugal is for couples who legally cannot be together. For example, the two people live in a country where homosexuality is illegal, so they can't get married, and they can't live together without fear of persecution... or in other countries, like Malaysia, where divorce is illegal and couples can only live together if they are married, so if a couple has separated, there is no "second marriage". Conjugal is for those sorts of couples.

There is nothing to stop you and your girlfriend from being together - not being able to get a visa, or not being able to work, are NOT adequate reasons for conjugal. You can go to Canada as a visitor, she can go to the UK as a visitor, and you are free to get married in either country, therefore you have other options other than conjugal. So don't even bother looking at conjugal, it will be a waste of your time.

Find a way to live together, unbroken, for 12 months, or get married. (Or otherwise find another way to get a work permit for Canada.)
Old Mar 5th 2015, 7:09 pm
PottsyJ

Thanks guys. I would love to keep coming back and forth as a visitor but as people have said immigration won't like that too much and its a new relationship and I don't want to get married just for the reason of a visa. I would love to work full time for one of the offshore companies in the Maritimes but they don't employ many people that aren't Canadian. I think my best option is to go for the IEC but regardless of whether I worked for a Canadian company or not I would still not be living with her for half the year cos my job takes up half the year away.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 7:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. I would love to keep coming back and forth as a visitor but as people have said immigration won't like that too much and its a new relationship and I don't want to get married just for the reason of a visa. I would love to work full time for one of the offshore companies in the Maritimes but they don't employ many people that aren't Canadian. I think my best option is to go for the IEC but regardless of whether I worked for a Canadian company or not I would still not be living with her for half the year cos my job takes up half the year away.
But if you got a 2 year IEC, then you could marry after a while and then no need for common-law status.

I don't see that you've got any other option than IEC from what you've said tbh.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by orly
Apply for a new temporary resident visa from within Canada explains how to do it

Don't have to give up your driving licence. Your temporary SIN will expire though. Provincial healthcard will too if I recall correctly.
SIN yes, healthcard I didn't think I qualified for it so haven't got one.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

MrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really nice

Driving licence will expire whenever it does, but you don't have to return it. The girl doing mine got really confused and put the expiry date 6 months after the visa expires

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.