IEC 2014 spousal work permit

Old Nov 1st 2013, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

the blairs will become famous soon enough
Default IEC 2014 spousal work permit

Hi,

After reading this:

Spouses of foreign nationals cannot obtain an open work permit under the “Public policy, competitiveness and economy R205(c)(ii)” (Labour Market Opinion (LMO) exemption C41, see FW 1, Section 5.38), unless they can meet the following eligibility requirements:

The principal foreign worker must be doing work which falls within NOC Skill Levels 0, A or B;
The principal foreign worker must hold a work permit that is valid for a period of at least six months;
The principal foreign worker and spouse must physically reside, or plan to physically reside, in Canada while working.

Am I right in thinking that if my husband gets a 2 year IEC WP and his job is A, O or B then I can go with him and work?

We looked at this last year but I was sure that our kids would have been able to go with him but I wouldn't have been.

Is this a new change?

Thanks
Lyndsey x
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 12:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC 2014 spousal work permit

No that rule has always been that way. Because the IEC is an open work permit many take jobs that are not in the skill levels 0, A or B so spouses wouldn't qualify. So until confirmation that a job has been secured in one of those skill levels then no SOWP are issued by CBSA at Ports of Entry when you present the LOI to get the work permit.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Ah, so once my hubby has proof of an A, O or B job then I could apply for a SOWP? And I could be there on a holiday visa until then?
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

Just wondering if anyone reading this has ever managed to get an SOWP on the back of their spouse's IEC before?
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the blairs
Ah, so once my hubby has proof of an A, O or B job then I could apply for a SOWP? And I could be there on a holiday visa until then?
Yes providing the criteria mentioned in post #1 is met.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 3:07 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the blairs
Hi,

After reading this:

Spouses of foreign nationals cannot obtain an open work permit under the “Public policy, competitiveness and economy R205(c)(ii)” (Labour Market Opinion (LMO) exemption C41, see FW 1, Section 5.38), unless they can meet the following eligibility requirements:

The principal foreign worker must be doing work which falls within NOC Skill Levels 0, A or B;
The principal foreign worker must hold a work permit that is valid for a period of at least six months;
The principal foreign worker and spouse must physically reside, or plan to physically reside, in Canada while working.

Am I right in thinking that if my husband gets a 2 year IEC WP and his job is A, O or B then I can go with him and work?

We looked at this last year but I was sure that our kids would have been able to go with him but I wouldn't have been.

Is this a new change?

Thanks
Lyndsey x
An IEC working holiday visa is valid for 1 year, not 2, unless you are from Ireland or Australia. You can apply for a 2nd year provided you are under 31 - for the UK - (35 for Ireland) when the application is processed.

You can come with your husband as a visitor or else you could apply for your own IEC.

Regarding the SOWP, this is what CIC say:

"... If an IEC participant in the Working Holiday Program category holds only the Letter of Introduction, CIC cannot determine if the participant is employed in a NOC 0, A or B occupation and, therefore, cannot issue an open work permit to the participant’s spouse.

Once the IEC open work permit holder can prove that they are employed in a NOC 0, A or B position (i.e., letter from their employer and pay stubs), their spouse may then apply under the LMO exemption C41... "

Old Nov 3rd 2013, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Hubby is applying for an Irish passport as his parents and Grandparents are Irish so he would get the 2 years. I am now 36 and Scottish so I would need that SOWP. Like that last bit you just posted though!!! Looks like a wee light at the end of a loooong tunnel (we were ready to apply when they changed the occupation list and hubby's jab was removed )