IEC 2014

Old Nov 29th 2014, 11:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC 2014

Originally Posted by BeenTrainingDogs
I understand what you're saying, but I'm actually going on a secondment so my employment is still based in the UK and if for some reason, the people I work for want shot of me, I get sent back to my job in the UK.
I think you're missing the point! If, God forbid, you were in an accident and were repatriated, your bill would be a small fortune. That's why it's a requirement of the IEC that you have full travel insurance, and provincial cover isn't enough, as it doesn't cover repatriation.

As said above, for the sake of a couple of hundred pounds it's not worth risking a bill of tens of thousands of dollars, plus of course you wouldn't be complying with the terms of your visa so technically it could be cancelled if you got caught out.

Definitely grab that travel insurance and don't risk it would be my advice!

HTH.
Old Dec 1st 2014, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

CRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond repute

With respect to the fact we only get 2 year long IEC visas in our lifetime as it currently stands. Does it count as you using one of your visas when you get your letter of introduction OR when you physically enter the country and get your work permit. Or perhaps even an earlier stage im not thinking about such as creating a compass account.

I'm thinking in terms of people who may get there LOI but never use it for some unforseen reason. A friend of mine was all set to go a couple of years ago and there was a death in the family and he decided against coming over here. And now he's not sure if he's used one of his 2 years up despite never actually entering Canada and getting a work permit.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that once receive your LOI it counts as one of your two IECs.

The rules
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 6:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CRAY
With respect to the fact we only get 2 year long IEC visas in our lifetime as it currently stands. Does it count as you using one of your visas when you get your letter of introduction OR when you physically enter the country and get your work permit. Or perhaps even an earlier stage im not thinking about such as creating a compass account.

I'm thinking in terms of people who may get there LOI but never use it for some unforseen reason. A friend of mine was all set to go a couple of years ago and there was a death in the family and he decided against coming over here. And now he's not sure if he's used one of his 2 years up despite never actually entering Canada and getting a work permit.
Answer is in the FAQ, he's deemed to have participated once even if he didn't actually go - Travel and Work in Canada | Frequently Asked Questions From the United Kingdom Students and Youth About Travel and Work in Canada | International Experience Canada

HTH.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

CRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks as usual for the useful response.

How long after the first stage do we require the police checks? Im pretty sure it wasn't until the second stage they were required but can't remember how long we have to do that. I would imagine organizing the logistics of that is going to be more difficult this year from Canada that it was from back home
Old Dec 7th 2014, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Greyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of light
Default Good sites or Insurers for Travel Insurance (for IEC)

I'm just shopping around for good travel insurance (that contains repatriation) for the full year but I'm drawing some blanks. I did a quick search and some of them are stupidly cheap (50-120 GBP) others seem too high (500 GBP).

Can anyone suggest what sites they used and what rate should I look yo pay?
Old Dec 8th 2014, 1:16 am
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Good sites or Insurers for Travel Insurance (for IEC)

I used Ace Traveller Insurance. They have coverage for exchange workers. From memory, the policy was about £200-250 for 12 months but maybe I had winter sports added too (can't remember). I found them to be really good because I had to make a £2,000 claim for medical bills after I was bitten by a stray cat (OK, it was a kitten). I phoned them up to ask if they had a preferred clinic for me to get antibiotics from a doctor and instead they told me to go to hospital for a post-exposure rabies vaccine (the area I was in did have rabies in the wild animals and they couldn't guarantee non-exposure from the kitten). It was extremely expensive treatment - cost of being admitted to hospital, X-rays to make sure the little bugger hadn't penetrated my tendon sheath in my fingers (it had), cost of antibiotics, cost of treatment for the resulting infection, cost of the rabies vaccine, cost of additional treatment when I passed out from the pain of having a needle shoved into my knuckle joint, etc. They organised everything really well with the Sept-Iles hospital, my follow-up treatment in both Sept-Iles and the UK, and refunded my money without any issues. I would definitely use them again, which is the highest form of confidence I can give them!

Catherine
Old Dec 8th 2014, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

A second vote for ACE from me. Read the small prints of what is included or not. One of the biggest features to look out for that we all hope not to use is repatriation. Also, make sure that the policy permits work. Some are very crafty when it comes to this.

May I also point out that there are two threads in this forum section for IEC titled IEC 2013 & IEC 2014 this will have been discussed to death already throughout those threads and you'll probably find the answers there quicker
Old Dec 8th 2014, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

sunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure to look into the residency requirements. Some policies will require that you be present in the UK for anywhere between 3 months and a year prior to the start date. This can cause issues when getting insurance if you do a second IEC year, or if you have already been travelling for a while.

I got a very reasonable policy for my second year from Worldwide Insure, think it was around £300. They provide policies for over a year, which is useful if you are incorporating it with other travelling, and was the only company I found who would provide such a long policy to someone already out of the country.
Old Dec 8th 2014, 9:30 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Backpackerinsurance.uk - I managed to get a 2 year policy with them so I'm already covered for my second IEC
Old Dec 8th 2014, 10:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
May I also point out that there are two threads in this forum section for IEC titled IEC 2013 & IEC 2014 this will have been discussed to death already throughout those threads and you'll probably find the answers there quicker
Yep, which is where I'll move these posts to now.

OP, please keep any and all IEC related questions in the IEC threads, that way anybody searching for answers in the future can find them easily and the forum doesn't get cluttered up with IEC questions. Thanks.
Old Dec 8th 2014, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Greyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the advice re: travel insurance (thread got moved over so it's giving me an error for the quotes) quick question though. Just checked out a 12 month long stay cover for Ace and it's kicking out £560, is this normal, no winter sports included
Old Dec 8th 2014, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greyfox
Thanks for the advice re: travel insurance (thread got moved over so it's giving me an error for the quotes) quick question though. Just checked out a 12 month long stay cover for Ace and it's kicking out £560, is this normal, no winter sports included
Holy smokes they've jacked their prices up considerably, strange!!
Old Dec 9th 2014, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greyfox
I went with World Nomads for my insurance and you're in line with what I spent, which worked out to be about £50 per month. I also got BC MSP coverage, which actually wasn't that smart of a move as it was an extra $60 per month and I've never had a medical problem in Canada.

Anyway, aren't there loads of canadian suppliers now? I'd look into them, I'd imagine being canadian based might make it easier/quicker to make claims....
Old Dec 9th 2014, 6:40 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheAwesomeMatt
I went with World Nomads for my insurance and you're in line with what I spent, which worked out to be about £50 per month. I also got BC MSP coverage, which actually wasn't that smart of a move as it was an extra $60 per month and I've never had a medical problem in Canada.

Anyway, aren't there loads of canadian suppliers now? I'd look into them, I'd imagine being canadian based might make it easier/quicker to make claims....
But a Canadian Insurance company wont pay (generally) for repatriation - but they may make a good 'top up' if you don't have medical insurance coverage from employment (for glasses, medication, dental treatment etc).

A backpacker or gap year insurance from the UK generally covers working (though possibly not with power tools on a building site) emergency medical costs and repatriation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.