Wikiposts

IEC 2013 and high hopes

Old Jun 26th 2013, 8:15 am
Just Joined

beardynev is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face IEC 2013 and high hopes

Hello all, this is my first post and a step into entirely new territory for me, so I apologise if my questions are obvious or have been previously answered.

First, a little background. I'm a 25 year old Londoner, British by birth and have never spent more than a few weeks outside of the UK. I have 3 years of administrative experience for a recruitment company, an outstanding student loan and no children. Last June I met the love of my life on an impromptu trip to Vancouver and have been working towards a move out there ever since. We are in a committed relationship with plans to marry in the next year or so.

As to my immigration status, I have successfully applied under the 2013 IEC scheme and received my letter of approval. My intention is to fly to Vancouver this October, land an entry to mid-level administrative/office position, marry my partner in the summer of 2014 then immediately apply for a spouse sponsorship visa. My partner is a Canadian citizen and lifelong resident of British Columbia. I have spent some time applying for - and following up on - possible employment from this site of the ocean, but with no responses and certainly no formal job offers.

My main queries arise from the interim period between my landing and obtaining the spouse sponsorship visa, as well as the visa application itself and one more immediate concern which I will open with.

First, I applied for my working holiday visa with my existing British non-biometric passport issued in 2005. Since my visa future is uncertain and I understand that the validity of my passport needs to cover anything further issued, it seemed prudent to renew this before it expires, but I was unable to do so before beginning my application. Now that I have received my acceptance letter, I am considering renewing my passport before travel, foreseeing possible difficulties in switching to the biometric version once overseas. If I have applied for and obtained the work permit using passport A, could I then have the visa endorsed into updated passport B if able to present both at the port of entry?

Second, I wanted to enquire as to the likelihood and practicality of having an employer aid me in obtaining my next visa. I am fully prepared to reapply for the IEC in 2014 but would welcome any advice on securing a work permit with an existing employer. Would my employer have to obtain an LMO then have me reapply for the position? Is there something under the Provincial banner to cover this sort of thing? Am I thinking entirely too wishfully for an office-type position?

Third, in applying for a spouse sponsorship visa when the time comes, I have 2 main concerns - financial and chronological. I understand that my sponsor has to demonstrate the ability to support me financially if necessary, but as I intend to be the primary earner and she has some outstanding debt (student loan, credit cards with payments always kept in good time), I foresee possible issues in this area. Related to this, my fiancee currently holds limited employment of only a few hours a week, which I absolutely hope will increase over the course of the next 18 months, but again may prove to be a stumbling block. I was also hoping to get an idea of the timescale for obtaining this type of visa from within Canada - my estimates lead me to conservatively expect around 13 months, is this realistic?

I thank all readers in advance for any response, and hope you can assist my in realising my dream of a married life in Canada, or at least alleviate a few of my worries along the way!

John.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC 2013 and high hopes

Awight John me old china howzit going.
OK enough of that cockney crap and welcome to the forum.
it will be no problem changing your passport as CBSA only look to see if the passport is valid and wont expire before you intend to leave.
You don't get a visa you get a work permit when you present the LOI on entering Canada.
I will let others answer your other questions.