IEC 2013

Old Oct 8th 2013, 10:23 pm
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: IEC 2013

There are loads of people who come here alone beckiwoo. Are you part of any of the groups on FB? There are always people on there planning to meet up.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 10:43 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Sorry abut crazy amount of posts, but I am just getting the general impression that most people heading out to Canada chatting on here are couples?!-

Are there any individual solo travellers who have been out and established themselves independently?
You do not get your licence back as far as I am aware. I asked a while back someone said they are supposed to be sent back to the UK, however, more than likely they just destroy them. Either way you wont be getting it back.

Yes I came out on my own... Well kind off. My gf is Canadian.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:47 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Where does your British licence get sent back to - I would not be happy with not having my UK licence especially if its going to be pain to get it back in the UK?
Keep a copy of it (or the paper version, if you have it) that way you can get your UK licence re-issued when you go back.

You don't have a choice about keeping your UK licence if you want to exchange for a Provincial one. They are returned to the UK.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Where does your British licence get sent back to - I would not be happy with not having my UK licence especially if its going to be pain to get it back in the UK?
Not all Provinces even send them back to DVLA, who will do nothing more than say "that's nice" and shred them anyway. Possibly only Ontario sends them back. The rest just shred them...

If you are that bothered, just go online to the DVLA website and report both parts of your Licence as lost.

£21 and 3 days or so later and you will have a new one (as long as your pink photocard or your passport are less than 5 years old, as they use the photo from their electronic records if they are, otherwise you will need to do a paper from with new photo).

The two-digit issue number on the end of your driver number will go up by one, but that's all.

Hand the 'lost' one in when you swap your Licence. You must have found it again in your packing, obviously...

Last edited by withabix; Oct 9th 2013 at 6:11 am.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Oaken is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by withabix
Not all Provinces even send them back to DVLA, who will do nothing more than say "that's nice" and shred them anyway. Possibly only Ontario sends them back. The rest just shred them...

If you are that bothered, just go online to the DVLA website and report both parts of your Licence as lost.

£21 and 3 days or so later and you will have a new one (as long as your pink photocard or your passport are less than 5 years old, as they use the photo from their electronic records if they are, otherwise you will need to do a paper from with new photo).

The two-digit issue number on the end of your driver number will go up by one, but that's all.

Hand the 'lost' one in when you swap your Licence. You must have found it again in your packing, obviously...
Why are people so intent on keeping there UK licence? Also I remember reading somewhere its actually against the law in some provinces to hold two driving licences.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oaken
Also I remember reading somewhere its actually against the law in some provinces to hold two driving licences.
But it can't be against the law in Canada to hold a British Driving Licence, as the document is a British one, not Canadian.

It isn't against the law to hold a British driving licence whilst overseas.

It could be classed as Deception if you keep presenting the British one in Canada though...

Will be interesting to see what comes up on ICBC when I exchange my Licence, as I have one speeding fine in BC against my UK licence!

Last edited by withabix; Oct 9th 2013 at 1:30 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

But it can't be against the law in Canada to hold a British Driving Licence, as the document is a British one, not Canadian.

It isn't against the law to hold a British driving licence whilst overseas.
It doesn't matter where the licence is from in some provinces it is strictly against the law to have a licence from the province and second licence two, it does matter if the second licence is from another province or country.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

It doesn't matter where the licence is from in some provinces it is strictly against the law to have a licence from the province and second licence two, it does matter if the second licence is from another province or country.

Provide the links to the Regulations then...
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

From the ICBC website
Giving up your previous licence
Please note than when you qualify for your new B.C. licence, you’ll need to surrender your previous licence to ICBC. B.C. law requires that you only have one driver's licence.
http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing.../other-country
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

For Alberta

http://www.servicealberta.ca/1671.cfm

They might not all be the same but I know some are.

Seems completely pointless trying to keep hold of your UK licence any, also bear in mind if you phone the DVLA and request a new licence after surrendering your UK one they say they have on record that you surrendered it, so possibly making your UK one invalid which people try so hard to keep.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

TeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud of

So my girlfriend has bought a car this morning off a friend, what is it we need to take to register it and insure it, is she okay doing this with her uk licence or can we change it to canadian at the place we register the car?
Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeddiSam
So my girlfriend has bought a car this morning off a friend, what is it we need to take to register it and insure it, is she okay doing this with her uk licence or can we change it to canadian at the place we register the car?
What Province is this in? Different Provinces have different regulations.

For example, to purchase a 2nd hand car in Ontario you are required to have a sellers pack from the original owner before you can register it.

Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:50 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Why are people so intent on keeping there UK licence?
Because it's part of my identity, in BC they accept UK driving licence as a form of ID and plus after the year or 2 years when the visa expires and I return to UK, I have to pay another £21 for a replacement.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:53 pm
Banned

Because it's part of my identity, in BC they accept UK driving licence as a form of ID and plus after the year or 2 years when the visa expires and I return to UK, I have to pay another £21 for a replacement.
BC (and most government departments) accept a BC licence as ID - so you would not be losing that provision.

Who knows what will happen in 2 years - you may even elect to apply for PR. There is no point in worrying about £21 at this stage.

You have 2 choices - get a BC licence or don't drive.

Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

But as quoted you can only hold ONE driving licence in BC. The choice is simple give up the UK one and get a BC one or dont drive.
Getting a licence when you get back to the UK should be no big deal if you explain why you had to give it up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.