IEC 2012 - Time to get Organised!

Old Oct 18th 2011, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

twohoots is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IEC 2012 - Time to get Organised!

I think they are pretty strict on the proof of funds, I wouldn't have thought they'd accept a back-dated statement. Getting the banks to comply seemed like a sticking point for many people this year, I'm wondering if that might be one of the changes for next year. Also, I got the impression there's a part of the application form the bank needs to sign, but at a push, a signed statement will do.

Also, do you need to have proof of funds when entering? I thought once you have the LOI and medical cover, that's all you need to present at customs.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

craigrog is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey this is the first time ive posted, this is just the thread ive been waiting for. Im hoping to apply in january and hopefully head off around april-may time (hoping all goes to plan), the only thing i cant decide on is where do go, im thinking vancouver or calgary, possibly kelowna area. Good luck
Old Oct 20th 2011, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

liamnewman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by craigrog
Hey this is the first time ive posted, this is just the thread ive been waiting for. Im hoping to apply in january and hopefully head off around april-may time (hoping all goes to plan), the only thing i cant decide on is where do go, im thinking vancouver or calgary, possibly kelowna area. Good luck
Join the IEC 2012 Facebook Group if you haven't already

Im sure when information comes out on the initiative, we could all use a bit of group assistance with the process, and I am well up for giving a helping hand to others who, like me, would love the experience of living/working in Canada
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

jg2802 is on a distinguished road

Today my friend who I'm going to Canada with got caught carrying weed by police dogs and the first thing she asked was will it effect her applying for a visa to Canada and they said no because its a warning...but will it show on her police record?? It was just a small amount that she had she only smokes every now and then, no hatred please!
Old Oct 21st 2011, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

leafsfan1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by twohoots
Once we get confirmation of the opening date, I think it will be worth sending off for the police report. I think this is the one required.

Other than that, you can get the funds (~£2,000) together in to a high street account, if they are currently residing else where.

Not sure what else! Yet.

I've started an open Facebook group for anyone hoping to go to Canada next year on the IEC scheme, it could be a nice way to help each once the applications are open and then to perhaps stay in touch when we've all made it over! The link is in my sig, feel free to join if interested!
I take it for the certificate you can just walk into a police station and ask for that , is it just a printout they give back to you in a few days ?

What do you mean by high street account .. i take it bank account you mean.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 8:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leafsfan1
I take it for the certificate you can just walk into a police station and ask for that , is it just a printout they give back to you in a few days ?
No, you need a proper ACPO police check, and cannot get it from a police station. You've been given the link above, you need to print the application form from there, and send it off with a cheque and photographs. It then takes about 2 weeks to get back.

Old Oct 21st 2011, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

twohoots is an unknown quantity at this point

For the police check, there's a form to download and complete. It costs £35 for a ten day turnaround or £70 for two days. Along with the form, you need to include:

2x Proof of address
Copy of passport
Passport photo
Payment (cheque / postal order / bankers draft)

This is then sent away to Hampshire.

I *think* this is the form.

With regards the account, the only reason I mentioned high street is because I imagine if you had an online only account, it could prove quite tricky getting someone to sign the paperwork.

Can't be long till we hear something now..
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Felixfinch is on a distinguished road

Anyone else heading to Vancouver in January? I Can't wait... not sure whether to head for one of the ski resorts and try to get some work or to stay in Vancouver straight away.

Proof of funds will probably be coming from a parent as I am still paying off student debt - banking on getting work within a month and hopefully sooner. Flight+insurance is going on a credit card...
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Felixfinch
banking on getting work within a month and hopefully sooner.
That might be rather optimistic in the current economic climate! But you can enter on a visitor visa and then just 'flagpole' and activate your WHV when you've actually found work, so you get the full year rather than wasting a few months on job hunting.

Old Oct 22nd 2011, 12:40 am
Just Joined

Villa Lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That might be rather optimistic in the current economic climate! But you can enter on a visitor visa and then just 'flagpole' and activate your WHV when you've actually found work, so you get the full year rather than wasting a few months on job hunting.

So even if you have a LOI you can still enter on a visitor visa?
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 7:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Villa Lad
So even if you have a LOI you can still enter on a visitor visa?
Yes, you just need to tell the immigration officer that you don't wish to activate it yet.

A lot of people did it last year, and given that it can take 6 months or so to find work, it's a good idea so as not to waste a large chunk of the year you've got.

Old Oct 22nd 2011, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Villa Lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, you just need to tell the immigration officer that you don't wish to activate it yet.

A lot of people did it last year, and given that it can take 6 months or so to find work, it's a good idea so as not to waste a large chunk of the year you've got.

Thanks that's great to know! I'm looking at going in June/July but I do need to return to the UK for a month in September so don't want to waste my year.

How long is the visitor visa valid for? 6 months?
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Felixfinch is on a distinguished road

Well I hope it doesn't take 6 months as I'll run out of money! I've always found it quite easy to get a job in the UK, is it really that bad?
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Felixfinch
Well I hope it doesn't take 6 months as I'll run out of money! I've always found it quite easy to get a job in the UK, is it really that bad?
Probably depends what kind of job. I know if I wanted a bar job in London id find one within a couple of days. I would have thought it was the same in major cities over there.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jg2802
Probably depends what kind of job. I know if I wanted a bar job in London id find one within a couple of days. I would have thought it was the same in major cities over there.
I'm applying for my police check soon. The address I'm applying for it will be different to the address I give in January for my visa. Or should I give the police check address? Will iec have to send anything to what will then be my old address?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.