IEC 2012 - Time to get Organised!

Old Oct 16th 2011, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

twohoots is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IEC 2012 - Time to get Organised!

Originally Posted by jg2802
I know i've asked a million things already regarding the IEC's but just a few more things to round it up...

2)I want to apply for the criminal record check in the next couple of weeks so i have it ready for as soon as the visas come out as I am going travelling at the beginning of march so need to get it as soon as possible (hopefully before I go travelling) so that I can go straight to Canada after. Are they available for 3 months from applying? Will they question why I have the police check dated in November when applying in January? Also...should I wait for my new passport to come in surname 'B' before applying?
I've wondered the same thing. Unless they change the requirements this (next) year, I think it is three months though. The last update on the IEC website suggests we'll be getting lots of info before the actual thing opens up officially, so that's when I'm planning to get my police check done. The turnaround time seems pretty quick on that part at least.

I'm also torn between Vancouver and Toronto, the mountains are swaying me to the former at the moment, in reality I'll probably end up somewhere else entirely. I wonder if that's much difference in terms of work opportunities?
Old Oct 16th 2011, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

liamnewman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all. First time poster!

My girlfriend and I graduated from University this summer, and have been working our bums off in retail jobs to raise up for this since we graduated (July)

Already a few months in the making for us, so we are both very much getting ready for IEC 2012!

We'll be flying out/living in Calgary for our time there.

One question which has us frustrated though (which may seem easy to others - apologies if it sounds dumb!) is health insurance.

This is what the IEC FAQ states -

What type of insurance must I subscribe to before leaving for Canada?

You must have and maintain insurance for the entire duration of your stay in Canada. Your insurance policy must cover you for:

Health care, hospitalization and repatriation;
The Canadian territory (the policy should specify North America, Canada/USA or worldwide);
The entire duration of your stay in Canada
You must be able to provide proof of this insurance to the Immigration Officer upon your entry to Canada. To learn more about different insurance options, please consult. Please note that the High Commission of Canada to the UK does not have the mandate of providing a list of insurers.

So what would we have to purchase for a 12 month working holiday? What are others thinking of getting and where from? Info would be great!

Thanks guys, and good luck when the applications open!
Old Oct 16th 2011, 12:25 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by liamnewman
So what would we have to purchase for a 12 month working holiday? What are others thinking of getting and where from? Info would be great!
You'd have to purchase a 12 month insurance package that covers Canada with all the things listed on your post. Kind of obvious.

Search this thread here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700551 There's loads of insurance recommendations.

Cat
Old Oct 16th 2011, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

I knew I'd get stick for that!

Thank you for the tip. I'll have a good search through that forum for the info I need
Old Oct 16th 2011, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

jg2802 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by catpea33
You'd have to purchase a 12 month insurance package that covers Canada with all the things listed on your post. Kind of obvious.

Search this thread here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700551 There's loads of insurance recommendations.

Cat
BUNAC insurance is so expensive. i found one for like £150 for the year via a simple google search.

regarding that thread you linked...someone said that they booked their flights after receiving their 'conditional offer'. is it reasonable to think you have a place after receiving the conditional offer?

also...everyone was so panic-ey in the first few days the visa came out that they werent going to get one...but ive seen on other threads that people were still applying in july and august....so the visas dont actually run out that quick do they?
Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:14 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of

BUNAC insurance is so expensive. i found one for like £150 for the year via a simple google search.
It is. I did a BUNAC WHP as a student back in 2002 and it was extortionate!

someone said that they booked their flights after receiving their 'conditional offer'. is it reasonable to think you have a place after receiving the conditional offer?
It would depend how far in advance you were booking the flight. I think it's risky though. I got a conditional offer and then they found my police certificate was photocopied (my documents say they were acceptable), my application get refused and I had to start the process all over again (and noticed that the new documents said the certificate had to be an original).

also...everyone was so panic-ey in the first few days the visa came out that they werent going to get one...but ive seen on other threads that people were still applying in july and august....so the visas dont actually run out that quick do they?
They don't but I guess it pays to be early! I applied for the first time in March and then had to apply again in May and got through OK. I'll be applying ASAP though in 2012 to ensure I get my second year out there without a break inbetween... 8 days to go for me and then I'm off to Montreal!
Old Oct 16th 2011, 6:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

They didn't this year, but in 2010 they were all gone by the end of January! So best to be ready in case they go quickly again.

Old Oct 16th 2011, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

From what I have read in other forums, if this years initiative follows previous years timelines, we're to expect the release of info for 2012 in the next few days.

I could just be patient and wait to see if all my questions are cleared up on the IEC website, but......

Based on last years IEC, what should we start getting together now to make the application process easier for us?? Documents etc...?
Old Oct 16th 2011, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Once we get confirmation of the opening date, I think it will be worth sending off for the police report. I think this is the one required.

Other than that, you can get the funds (~£2,000) together in to a high street account, if they are currently residing else where.

Not sure what else! Yet.

I've started an open Facebook group for anyone hoping to go to Canada next year on the IEC scheme, it could be a nice way to help each once the applications are open and then to perhaps stay in touch when we've all made it over! The link is in my sig, feel free to join if interested!

Last edited by twohoots; Oct 16th 2011 at 8:36 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

hamazz is an unknown quantity at this point

can you let us know who you got your insurance with? and did they cover you for the whole 12months?

regarding that thread you linked...someone said that they booked their flights after receiving their 'conditional offer'. is it reasonable to think you have a place after receiving the conditional offer?

Old Oct 16th 2011, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by twohoots

I've started an open Facebook group for anyone hoping to go to Canada next year on the IEC scheme, it could be a nice way to help each once the applications are open and then to perhaps stay in touch when we've all made it over! The link is in my sig, feel free to join if interested!

Just joined Where abouts are you hoping to head out to?
Old Oct 17th 2011, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

At the moment, I'm intending to start inVancouver, I like the idea of being by the mountains and the sea, then depending how that pans out, I would also like to check out Toronto as well.

What about yourself?
Old Oct 17th 2011, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Calgary
Old Oct 18th 2011, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hamazz
can you let us know who you got your insurance with? and did they cover you for the whole 12months?
just from http://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-insurance/

not sure if its suitable though. but i just ticked the 'backpacker/long stay' box and put in a random date and to come back a year later and the quotes are as little as a hundred quid for canada
Old Oct 18th 2011, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

regarding the proof of funds...

one of my friends now wants to get himself a visa but is worried about being able to show he has 2k in his bank. mainly because of xmas. so if he shows a bank statement from say end of november-mid december should this be okay? i saw on that previous huge IEC thread people questioning how they got the forms/details to get the bank to sign their statement when the forms werent out yet for the 2011 visas.

i know you have to then have £2k when entering canada but this would be a few months later so would be okay to re-save up again.

how strict are the IEC people if they see large deposits into your account. im a bit rubbish at saving money in my account because i use my card for everything i hate carrying cash. but im good at saving cash so all my tips from work i save up then i can just go and put in my account before i need proof of funds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.