Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Idiot past employer - Question !!!!!!

Wikiposts

Idiot past employer - Question !!!!!!

Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nice
Default Idiot past employer - Question !!!!!!

Hi all,

I had my first reference back today and the the personnel officer has basically ignored completely what i asked her to do!!!!!

I sent her a detailed letter outlining what is required by CIC, and she has sent me a covering letter basically say in 'Stuart was employed here between these dates' and nothing else !!!!!!!

To say im gobsmacked is a huge understatement - should i ask to speak to the head of HR if i get no joy???

If they are not willing to send me any more info than this, will the CIC reject my application?

Stuart
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

bobjones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Idiot past employer - Question !!!!!!

Originally Posted by stuartm
Hi all,

I had my first reference back today and the the personnel officer has basically ignored completely what i asked her to do!!!!!

I sent her a detailed letter outlining what is required by CIC, and she has sent me a covering letter basically say in 'Stuart was employed here between these dates' and nothing else !!!!!!!

To say im gobsmacked is a huge understatement - should i ask to speak to the head of HR if i get no joy???

If they are not willing to send me any more info than this, will the CIC reject my application?

Stuart
no chc would not reject your application, that is very normal letter from an employer. you could also prove you worked there by bank statements/pay slips etc. also if you know a work colleague there get them to give you a personnal reference.
dont worry about this at all.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

brit274 is a jewel in the roughbrit274 is a jewel in the roughbrit274 is a jewel in the roughbrit274 is a jewel in the roughbrit274 is a jewel in the rough

Hi all,

Stuart
Hi Stuart,

Thats all I got from one of my previous employers which was quite a large company. They gave me a standard letter confirming the dates I was employed and the position I was employed in.

I got a more detailed reference and peronal one from my line manager. Could you try that?

Michael
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:43 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Stuart
Don't worry Stuart - one of mine did that too!!

J
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:17 am
Cochrane AB Bound!

us3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really nice

So did mine. all came back as a standard letter confirming employment
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

I had one past employer who no longer existed and another who didn't keep records back that far (10 years), so I could get no letter from either ot those. I sent explainations along with pay slips and end of year tax forms and they took it with no problem.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 7:59 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

I think more and more companies are doing this because of potential litigation they feel liable for if they say 'he's a great guy'. My last company adopted this stance a little while after me getting my reference, although the hypocrits still insisted on a positive reference in their company handbook for any new employees!

It may be worth talking to the companies HR again and explain what you need and why, they may empathise, even if it means you doing leg work for them.
One of my other referrers did not keep HR records, and would not provide a reference as they could not substantiate the evidence, I had to send them my own proof of my time with them by means of a pension plan and tax payments made with them, they then helped, but it was a battle- so much for leaving on good terms eh!

Good Luck, I feel for you as it also wastes valuable time as well.

Darren

Hi all,

Stuart