I want to study in Canada

Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:37 am
Just Joined

aspiringimmigrant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I want to study in Canada

My husband and I really want to migrate to Canada as soon as possible while we're young (I'm 23). But I also want to make sure my husband and I will have a good life there. I've just finished my undergraduate degree in Management. My husband's uncle is a Canadian citizen residing in British Columbia and is willing to help us migrate. I also have an aunt living in the US who said she'd help me in any way she can financially.

Should I:
a) Study in Canada as an international student?
or
b) Accumulate more work experience in my home country and apply as a Skilled Worker?

Option A I think would make it easier for me to land a better job and to make more contacts in Canada. It'll also enable me to go there in the very near future. However, it will be very expensive. I don't have a lot of money now.

Option B will be easy now as it won't require me to shell out any money. However, it will be harder I think when my husband and I finally migrate to Canada. Both of us wouldn't have any Canadian work experience or Canadian education, and I know employers place a lot of importance on that. Also, we want to migrate as soon as possible.

Should I go for Option A?

If I do, should I try to borrow money from a financial institution? Or should I borrow personally from my aunt/husband's uncle (they've expressed willingness to do that)? Around how much should I borrow from them? (Like, Uncle Bob, could you loan me $10,000?)

My mom says studying would be the best option but she doesn't think there would be a financial institution willing to loan me money. I think I could, as long as I have a co-signor residing in Canada.

As a last question, if I do study in Canada, should I go for an undergraduate degree (which I already have, but I don't mind getting another one), or go for a graduate degree? I just graduated from University in my home country.

I really want to migrate to Canada fast. I think the Provincial Nominee Program of British Columbia won't be of any use to me at present.

Pleeeease help!
Old Aug 27th 2005, 10:30 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I want to study in Canada

Your questions really require full assessment of your case to see what options are available to you, if any at this time. As for settlement funds - it has to be your own money, you cannot borrow it.

Originally Posted by aspiringimmigrant
My husband and I really want to migrate to Canada as soon as possible while we're young (I'm 23). But I also want to make sure my husband and I will have a good life there. I've just finished my undergraduate degree in Management. My husband's uncle is a Canadian citizen residing in British Columbia and is willing to help us migrate. I also have an aunt living in the US who said she'd help me in any way she can financially.

Should I:
a) Study in Canada as an international student?
or
b) Accumulate more work experience in my home country and apply as a Skilled Worker?

Option A I think would make it easier for me to land a better job and to make more contacts in Canada. It'll also enable me to go there in the very near future. However, it will be very expensive. I don't have a lot of money now.

Option B will be easy now as it won't require me to shell out any money. However, it will be harder I think when my husband and I finally migrate to Canada. Both of us wouldn't have any Canadian work experience or Canadian education, and I know employers place a lot of importance on that. Also, we want to migrate as soon as possible.

Should I go for Option A?

If I do, should I try to borrow money from a financial institution? Or should I borrow personally from my aunt/husband's uncle (they've expressed willingness to do that)? Around how much should I borrow from them? (Like, Uncle Bob, could you loan me $10,000?)

My mom says studying would be the best option but she doesn't think there would be a financial institution willing to loan me money. I think I could, as long as I have a co-signor residing in Canada.

As a last question, if I do study in Canada, should I go for an undergraduate degree (which I already have, but I don't mind getting another one), or go for a graduate degree? I just graduated from University in my home country.

I really want to migrate to Canada fast. I think the Provincial Nominee Program of British Columbia won't be of any use to me at present.

Pleeeease help!
Old Aug 27th 2005, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

NikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by aspiringimmigrant

Pleeeease help!
I think you should thoroughly research your options. There is lots of useful info on this forum or you could speak to an agent directly for advice. It will probably cost something, but at least you'll gain a much better understanding.
You mentioned Canadian work experience and qualifications - they do seem to make a difference when job hunting in Canada - but not exclusively. Plenty of people get jobs from outside the country, but they do have some work experience.
You should bear in mind that the current wait for the Skilled Worker Class is 36 months from when you lodge your application to them starting to process it. It also takes ages to get all the paperwork together in the first place.
You seem to be keen to get to Canada soon, so study may be a better option - especially if your husband could work????? Not sure if he could????? You would have the cost of paying for a course and living expenses.
I think you have a dilemma - we've had a few too!
Good luck, sorry cant be of any more help.
Nik
Old Aug 27th 2005, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

although i agree getting a study permit is relatively simple process but still most probably they will ask you to take IELTS and few other tests like GMAT, GRE (if required by University). University will also ask you to fill out application forms and you will have to get transcripts and certificates from previous institutes. International students pay almost 2 to 3 times of what local province residents pay.
Where you are from ? May be in your native country immigration process does'nt take that long. Do your research before making assumptions.

Last edited by orazone; Aug 27th 2005 at 11:40 am.