I think I qualify as Freelance?

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Azatlou is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile I think I qualify as Freelance?

Hello, this is new for me so here goes...

I am a graphic designer and my husband is an editor/writer. We have been freelancing for 10+ years and believe that we qualify under the 'Cultural activities' section as freelance artisans.

Is there anybody out there that has experience of this application process. We will be applying in London though we now live in France.

We actually have a 'hobby Farm' in France (we breed alpacas!) but don't sell anything commercially so that route is not an option though that is exactly what we want to do in Canada.

Many thanks
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I think I qualify as Freelance?

Hi .. I don't know much about freelancing and I don't know where you plan to go in this marvelous country..but out of curiousity look up www.immigratemanitoba.com ..in the business section there is a specific one for farmers. I can't seem to remember, that you have to show income made..thought it was education and/or experience (and of course funding)

cheers
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Azatlou
Hello, this is new for me so here goes...

I am a graphic designer and my husband is an editor/writer. We have been freelancing for 10+ years and believe that we qualify under the 'Cultural activities' section as freelance artisans.

Is there anybody out there that has experience of this application process. We will be applying in London though we now live in France.

We actually have a 'hobby Farm' in France (we breed alpacas!) but don't sell anything commercially so that route is not an option though that is exactly what we want to do in Canada.

Many thanks
Hi and welcome to the forum.

There is somebody on this forum that is applying via this route at the moment, I can't for the life of me remember their username, but if you do a search you'll no doubt find their posts. I know it takes a long time (seem to recall 4 years is about the time frame?) but other than that know very little about the self employed route.

Best of luck with it though.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 2:26 am
Just Joined

If you do think of there name it would be great. I looked up the freelance processing times through London and it said that 80% were dealt with in 27 months.

Are these processing times just a fallacy?

Many thanks

Lou
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 2:49 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the info manitobain referred to - there is no requirement to show a profit from your present farm, additionally you both have alternative marketable skills which is one of the requirements:

http://www.gov.mb.ca/ctt/invest/pnp-..._criteria.html

Program Eligibility
The Province of Manitoba and Government of Canada share responsibilities for assisting farm business people to immigrate to Manitoba through the Provincial Nominee Program for Young Farmers (PNP-YF).

The Young Farmer Nominee Program allows Manitoba to recruit and nominate qualified farm business people and farm owners from around the world who have the intent and ability to move to Manitoba and establish or purchase a farm or become partners in an existing farm business.

To qualify under the program applicants must meet the following requirements:

Have a minimum personal net worth of CDN$150,000 (after relocating to Manitoba)

Make a minimum amount of equity investment of CDN$150,000 in Manitoba

Principal applicant must be under 40 years of age.

Have a minimum of three (3) years of farm ownership experience, or three (3) years farm management background.

Principal applicant (and/or spouse) has marketable skills that would supplement farm income.

Have conducted a visit to Manitoba for a minimum of seven (7) days to investigate farming opportunities and Manitoba's quality of life prior to applying.

The applicant must also be prepared to:
Conduct an Exploratory Visit to Manitoba to be able to provide documented assessment of farm business opportunities in Manitoba and general knowledge of the province.

Please see the Guide to Applying for an Exploratory Visit to Manitoba.
Make an Eligible Business Investment in Manitoba

Reside in Manitoba along with their dependent family members
Able to demonstrate that the combination of farm income and off-farm supplementary income will provide a family after tax income, in excess of $35,00.00 per year.

If your application for nomination is approved by Manitoba, you will be required to make a CDN$75,000 Deposit to the Government of Manitoba, guaranteeing that you will live in Manitoba and start or purchase a farm in Manitoba within two years of obtaining your permanent resident visa and landing in Manitoba. The deposit will be refunded without interest to you when the farm investment described in your application is made, your farm is operational and you are living in Manitoba.

If you are accepted for nomination by Manitoba, you will be provided with a Certificate of Nomination and instructions on how to submit the appropriate documents and federal processing fees to a Canadian Immigration visa office that services your area.

A decent standard of living for an average farm family of four will be expected to equal or exceed a minimum of $35,000 per year. This minimum family living expense can be earned either through farm income, or a combination of farm income and off-farm income.

Hope that might be of help

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:35 am
Just Joined

Thank you for this reply - it would all be great for us but the principle applicant is 42!

I wonder why they have such a young cut-off age - I have 2 children and one is only 10 months old so I am hardly ready to retire in the next 25+ years.

Perhaps if we apply as artisans and add on our intentions to farm we would do better? Are they open to discussion in Manitoba?

Lou
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:50 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Could you not be the principal applicant?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Sorry - I didn't make it clear - I am the principle applicant at 42. Older Mum and all that!

Short of forging my documents this ones not going to work.

Thank you for helping.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:08 am
Banned

sorry!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Wolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud of

Hello!

My partner and I are applying under this route (cultural self employed). My partner is the principle applicant (self employed in theatre) and I am applying as his CL partner (also work in theatre and education). I am afraid I know nothing about the farming route but I am currently negotiating our way around the self-employed route. It is fairly challenging and due to the unusual employment circumstances in many of the arts, proving experience is a challenge although I am sure with ten years exp you would be fine. Our predicted processing was 12-18 when we recieved our AOR in August 09 (applied in July 09) which was much quicker than what the website lead us to believe. We are not at the 120 day letter stage yet and fingers crossed that it doesn't arrive just yet as in April we are off on a 3month recce.

If you want to know anything else, let me know. Good luck!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wolfie and Will
Hello!

My partner and I are applying under this route (cultural self employed). My partner is the principle applicant (self employed in theatre) and I am applying as his CL partner (also work in theatre and education). I am afraid I know nothing about the farming route but I am currently negotiating our way around the self-employed route. It is fairly challenging and due to the unusual employment circumstances in many of the arts, proving experience is a challenge although I am sure with ten years exp you would be fine. Our predicted processing was 12-18 when we recieved our AOR in August 09 (applied in July 09) which was much quicker than what the website lead us to believe. We are not at the 120 day letter stage yet and fingers crossed that it doesn't arrive just yet as in April we are off on a 3month recce.

If you want to know anything else, let me know. Good luck!
Ahhhh, that's who it was I was thinking of! Thanks so much to replying to the OP, I couldn't remember your username (just knew it was two names together with an 'and' in the middle which is not terribly helpful!).

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Wolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud of

Thats ok! Its such a funny route, that I know how important it is to share info. Hopefully if we do qualify and get PR I will know much more about how this route works and where the pitfalls are!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Wow, its great to hear from someone in a similar position. We are planning to submit our application in April and if we can get in Canada in 2 years it would be good. Any sooner and I would be worried about selling our property in time in the current market.

I will keep up with your blog and seeing how you go.

Have a great time!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 9:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Azatlou
Any sooner and I would be worried about selling our property in time in the current market.
Don't forget that you will have a year from the date of your medicals in which to land and activate your PR, and then once you have PR you have a further 3 years before you actually have to move to Canada.

So you'd have approx 3.5/4 years in total if you needed to postpone your move for any reason.