Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

I think I need some brutal honesty about my PR chances

I think I need some brutal honesty about my PR chances

Old Dec 16th 2016, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

pilky01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I think I need some brutal honesty about my PR chances

I'm about 18 weeks away from the end of my IEC visa, I'll have been in the country 3 years by then. I'm currently in the points pool with about 325 points, possibly rising a little in January when my Canadian work experience jumps to 2 years. My employer tried to apply for OINP last year but couldn't because they had reached capacity, and the applications for 2017 still aren't open. I figured if they could get that before May I'd be fine because I'm guaranteed to be invited to apply once I get the job offer, and can get a bridging visa as long as my application is in.

Now it's looking like even if OINP opened up today, it would still take months for my employer to be approved.

My life is basically in Canada 100%, I'm happy in my job, I'm living with my girlfriend, I have a library card. The prospect of being forced to go back to the UK is kind of unfathomable, and I've been holding on to the idea that it'll just work out, but now I'm actually having to consider the possibility that it won't.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 7:12 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think I need some brutal honesty about my PR chances

is marriage an option? or common law if you've been living together 12 months
that seems the easiest way
Old Dec 16th 2016, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

We literally only just moved in together, so unfortunately not.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pilky01
I'm about 18 weeks away from the end of my IEC visa, I'll have been in the country 3 years by then. I'm currently in the points pool with about 325 points, possibly rising a little in January when my Canadian work experience jumps to 2 years. My employer tried to apply for OINP last year but couldn't because they had reached capacity, and the applications for 2017 still aren't open. I figured if they could get that before May I'd be fine because I'm guaranteed to be invited to apply once I get the job offer, and can get a bridging visa as long as my application is in.

Now it's looking like even if OINP opened up today, it would still take months for my employer to be approved.

My life is basically in Canada 100%, I'm happy in my job, I'm living with my girlfriend, I have a library card. The prospect of being forced to go back to the UK is kind of unfathomable, and I've been holding on to the idea that it'll just work out, but now I'm actually having to consider the possibility that it won't.
How are you currently in Canada? They changed the rules earlier this year on points and there are now more ways of qualifying for 50-200 points for having a valid job offer (does not necessarily need an LMIA anymore).

Offer of employment – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)
Old Dec 16th 2016, 7:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

We literally only just moved in together, so unfortunately not.
So marriage could still be an option then as the year doesn't apply.

You still have time to think on that. You wouldn't be the first.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
How are you currently in Canada? They changed the rules earlier this year on points and there are now more ways of qualifying for 50-200 points for having a valid job offer (does not necessarily need an LMIA anymore).

Offer of employment – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)
I'm currently on an IEC visa. I did read about that change, but wasn't sure if it applied to me. I actually remember specifically reading that it wasn't applicable to people through IEC?
Old Dec 16th 2016, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it is, no. I would say your best option is probably marriage.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So marriage could still be an option then as the year doesn't apply.

You still have time to think on that. You wouldn't be the first.
From everything I've read on that, it seems like marriage is far from a sure thing. Don't they make you jump through insane hoops to prove it's legit? I also know someone whose husband has currently been out of the country for a year due to immigration wrangles - they're married and have a kid and he can't get PR at all. Basically everything I've heard from other people makes me thing it's a no-go, but I wouldn't be opposed if I thought I had a chance.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

HighCeiling is an unknown quantity at this point

From everything I've read on that, it seems like marriage is far from a sure thing. Don't they make you jump through insane hoops to prove it's legit? I also know someone whose husband has currently been out of the country for a year due to immigration wrangles - they're married and have a kid and he can't get PR at all. Basically everything I've heard from other people makes me thing it's a no-go, but I wouldn't be opposed if I thought I had a chance.
You need to provide enough evidence to prove that you are in a genuine relationship if going down the marriage route. I supplied photos, chat logs, airline tickets, holiday info, letters from family and friends no idea if all of it was required but I went on the assumption of providing too much would bore them into accepting it all...when I applied I had only been married for 2 months and together for over a year.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HighCeiling
You need to provide enough evidence to prove that you are in a genuine relationship if going down the marriage route. I supplied photos, chat logs, airline tickets, holiday info, letters from family and friends no idea if all of it was required but I went on the assumption of providing too much would bore them into accepting it all...when I applied I had only been married for 2 months and together for over a year.
Would I be eligible for any kind of bridging visa while I had an application in if I went the marriage route?
Old Dec 16th 2016, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

HighCeiling is an unknown quantity at this point

Would I be eligible for any kind of bridging visa while I had an application in if I went the marriage route?
I think that is only if you have a work permit.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 11:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

From everything I've read on that, it seems like marriage is far from a sure thing. Don't they make you jump through insane hoops to prove it's legit? ...
Only a problem if they have reason to think it's not legit. Plenty of us have done it. There are a few threads about it.
Proof of marriage (no different to proof of birth) tell them who was there, a few pictures, honeymoon details. Simple.

You'll even have the advantage of living together for a period before being married.

I was in the UK, fiancee (Canadian) in Canada. I came over, got married, went back to UK see out my notice, sell house etc and then came back. Lived with her parents until I bought our own house months later.

You can even stay while it's sorted.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 3:54 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If you applied as an "Inland applicant" you could apply for a work permit at the same time as applying for spousal sponsorship.

Application to sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child

Notice – Update on work permits for spouses and common-law partners applying for permanent residence from within Canada

It used to be that 'Inland' took forever, but they've just changed the process (and MUCH simpler forms) and have undertaken to process the majority of applications within 12 months.

It seems that may be your easier route.

Old Dec 17th 2016, 4:26 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I have a library card.
That should seal it then!