View Poll Results: Did you notarise your documents?
Yes
37.88%
No, I had them certified
18.18%
No, I just used regular photocopies
43.94%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

"I notarised my documents"

Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "I notarised my documents"

Right, my doc's are all done. Local solicitor did 18 documents (2 copies of each) for £25 + vat. Easy and cheap!

It's interesting to see the statistics on this though.

Thanks for voting
Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Messiah Khan is an unknown quantity at this point

We are just at the stage where we nearly have everything ready to send off to the London VISA office, so this thread is interesting. I think we are going to get everything notarised just in case.

Originally Posted by elew83
I only got my employment contracts notorised. Everything else was photocopied.
How did you go about getting the employment contract notarised? Did you have to show an original document? Or did you just get a photocopy signed? My contract is just a computer printout anyway.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Alabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond repute

everything
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:26 pm
Pissy Mare

Location: Previously Hertfordshire, now in Chester Basin, Nova Scotia :)
Stonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud of

Nothing notarised, landed last year
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Zara-Lou is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope, nothing notarised and we have just had passport requests. Yay!

ZaraLou
Old Jul 29th 2010, 12:16 am
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

Everything notarised, no charge from the lawyer as we were already in the process of closing on a house.

Our application asked for things to be notarised, we would happily have paid for it to be done, after our application was returned with an error by Sydney, we weren't going to risk it.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:24 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

We were advised NOT to bother notarizing anything, so we didn't, and we've been here nearly five years. We were told that photocopies of official documents from the UK were accepted, and it was mainly those that had to be translated etc that needed to be notarized.

This was AFTER paying muchos $$$ for my documents to be notarized for my application to my professional body regulators for equivalency here in Canada.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Messiah Khan is an unknown quantity at this point

One statistic I would be interested in seeing; Who, if anyone has been rejected because the documents weren't notarized?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 10:05 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Messiah Khan
One statistic I would be interested in seeing; Who, if anyone has been rejected because the documents weren't notarized?
We're within a week of submitting our FSW application to London, going to get everything certified/signed by a Commissioner for Oaths, for free - got a quote from a notary public who said "£80 for the first document, £20 for each thereafter and if it's getting silly, we'll work out an hourly rate"

So, if it gets rejected, i'll let you know!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 4:05 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by misskatpaw
We're within a week of submitting our FSW application to London, going to get everything certified/signed by a Commissioner for Oaths, for free - got a quote from a notary public who said "£80 for the first document, £20 for each thereafter and if it's getting silly, we'll work out an hourly rate"

So, if it gets rejected, i'll let you know!
Further to the above....those who had documents notarised / signed / authenticated by solicitor / doctor / police officer, whatever.........which docs did you get done exactly?

The top of Appendix A states "Send notarized photocopies of all documents except the Police certs which have to be original"

Well, prob like most people, my application is running into quite a few pages, well over 150.....does my authenticating person need to endorse every sheet, or did some people only get the main ones done (contracts, exam certificates etc), as the rest of appendix A doesn't mention notarizing until s.7 when it specifically mentions notarizing employment contracts...
Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Hi

Only employment docs.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Binty is just really niceBinty is just really niceBinty is just really niceBinty is just really niceBinty is just really niceBinty is just really niceBinty is just really niceBinty is just really niceBinty is just really niceBinty is just really nice

Originally Posted by ann m
I got my education docs, birth and marriage certs all photocopied at a lawyers and he certified everything as true copies. About 80GBP I think. Worth it for the peace of mind!

I too photo copied everything then to them with the originals and had a lawyer certify that they were true originals. We were instructed to do this by our Immigration Consultants.

Binty
Old Aug 4th 2010, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

mmaganti is an unknown quantity at this point

I got everything notarized, but I drove to Buffalo to get it done at a Kinko's because I didn't want to pay a ton of money here in Canada. I paid $2 per document. I think it was less than $50 for everything.