I need your help........

Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:47 am
andbri

ANDREA_NEWBIE is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy I need your help........

Hi guys,
Its been a while since I visited the site, thought things were going too well. But could do with your advice again. My husband was offered a job as an HGV driver in Oct of last year. Great we thought a chance to move over to London, Ontario to be nearer our family, then bang...recession. Unfortunately a good way through the whole process the firm had to retract the job offer and we are back to square one again.
They have had to let a lot of their own drivers go so obviously hiring someone from the UK is now totally out of the question.
Its ok our son Ryan who lives in canada with partner Denise and our two adorable gradaughters, said, I have citizenship we will sponsor you through family class, so you can both still come and dad can find a job when you get over here.
They are filling the necessary forms in from inside of Canada and are waiting for some tax form re Ryans new employment, then we can pay the fees and they will send them off. Denise says it takes up to two years for the immigration process ( so it says on the official website ) before we,ll be able to move over there it is such a long time does it really take that long?
I have browsed through some of the similar job sites on expats trucker section and there does not seem to be the same amount of HGV driving jobs advertised in comparison to this time last year. Is WP/LMO the only chance we have of getting over there whilst the immigration process goes through?
Any advice is as always greatly appreciated, you guys are great, and by the way I have tried to change the user name to andrea, Im not a newbie any more...
Thanks.....
Old Jun 10th 2009, 8:05 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need your help........

Originally Posted by ANDREA_NEWBIE
Hi guys,
Its been a while since I visited the site, thought things were going too well. But could do with your advice again. My husband was offered a job as an HGV driver in Oct of last year. Great we thought a chance to move over to London, Ontario to be nearer our family, then bang...recession. Unfortunately a good way through the whole process the firm had to retract the job offer and we are back to square one again.
They have had to let a lot of their own drivers go so obviously hiring someone from the UK is now totally out of the question.
Its ok our son Ryan who lives in canada with partner Denise and our two adorable gradaughters, said, I have citizenship we will sponsor you through family class, so you can both still come and dad can find a job when you get over here.
They are filling the necessary forms in from inside of Canada and are waiting for some tax form re Ryans new employment, then we can pay the fees and they will send them off. Denise says it takes up to two years for the immigration process ( so it says on the official website ) before we,ll be able to move over there it is such a long time does it really take that long?
I have browsed through some of the similar job sites on expats trucker section and there does not seem to be the same amount of HGV driving jobs advertised in comparison to this time last year. Is WP/LMO the only chance we have of getting over there whilst the immigration process goes through?
Any advice is as always greatly appreciated, you guys are great, and by the way I have tried to change the user name to andrea, Im not a newbie any more...
Thanks.....
Unfortunately sponsoring parents under the Family Class takes even longer than 2 years - probably 3 years minimum.

You can go to Canada as visitors while you are being sponsored, same as anyone else. As UK citizens you get 6 months visitor status automatically. If you are in a position financially to stay longer as visitors (and can show that you have funds to support yourselves) you can apply to extend your visitor visas and stay longer. In practice it is possible to stay in Canada for several years by repeatedly renewing visitor visas. BUT you obviously can't work during that time. You can look for work though and if you find a job offer your employer can apply for LMO and, if successful, you can obtain a temporary work permit.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 8:40 am
andbri

Thankyou Paul,

I didn't know we could do that so it would certainly be an option. We have sold our house here in the UK and are about to move into rental, so obviously we would have a disposable income for a short time.
What is your opinion on the availability of work, do you think it would be easier for an employers perspective to offer Brian a job if we were over there already?
Probably a silly question I suppose it would but is it a huge financial risk to take?
Thankyou
Andrea
Old Jun 12th 2009, 5:07 am
andbri

Hi Paul

How do we get the ok to visit canada for up to 6 mths? Its something we def want to consider, especially if we can get some job interviews lined up. We have only evr visited two wks at a time previously..
Thanks as usual any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

abaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ANDREA_NEWBIE
Hi Paul

How do we get the ok to visit canada for up to 6 mths? Its something we def want to consider, especially if we can get some job interviews lined up. We have only evr visited two wks at a time previously..
Thanks as usual any help is greatly appreciated.
Any visitor to Canada with a British passport is usually free to stay in Canada for 6 months. I don't think you have to do anything special, just turn up and you should be ok to stay for 6 months.

abaddon