Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

I need 5 points for the skilled federal visa

I need 5 points for the skilled federal visa

Old Dec 30th 2009, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

johnnyk.kennedy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I need 5 points for the skilled federal visa

Hi,
I’m at a dilemma here in trying to accumulate the required 67 points needed in allowing me to apply for the skilled federal visa for Canada.
At current I am scoring 62 points based on the following.

See image attached.
Total Points Allocated 62

I am wondering how can I gain an additional 5 points? What are my options and what have other people done? Is it difficult to achieve what you did and how long did it take?

I plan to marry my girlfriend next year, If I included my girlfriend on the application would this give me additional points for adaptability? Or what about her education when she has a degree/masters in Economics.

My final question is how can Canadian immigration determine the following:

A one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship AND at least 13 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study 15
A one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship AND at least 12 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study 12

Some people started school at 4 years old others 5 years of age so how do they determine the points here?

I’m 28 years old, I know where I want to be with my life and build from there and that is Canada!

Kind Regards
John
Attached Thumbnails I need 5 points for the skilled federal visa-untitled.jpg  
Old Dec 30th 2009, 1:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need 5 points for the skilled federal visa

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by johnnyk.kennedy
I am wondering how can I gain an additional 5 points?
Either by obtaining a job offer, or returning to education to gain more points for that would probably be your best bets. What is your job?

What are my options and what have other people done?
Why do you have to go via a SW visa? If you don't qualify, then why not consider another route? How about Bunac as you're under 30 - it only gets you there for a year, but it's a start and then hopefully you could get your employer to give you that all important permanent job offer once you've proved yourself. Or returning to study in Canada? If you've ever wanted to do a diploma or degree, then why not do it there. Or which province do you want to go to? Have you considered the PNP programs?

There are so many different options (around 50 routes to a visa) that it seems madness to spend ages trying to get the extra points needed for a SW visa if there is another route open to you.

I plan to marry my girlfriend next year, If I included my girlfriend on the application would this give me additional points for adaptability? Or what about her education when she has a degree/masters in Economics.
Yes, you can include her education. You don't have to be married for that either, if you've lived together for a year or more then she'd qualify as your common-law partner and you can claim her points and take her with you on a SW visa. And do double check that she can't be the principle applicant, just in case she qualifies as a SW.

My final question is how can Canadian immigration determine the following:

A one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship AND at least 13 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study 15
A one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship AND at least 12 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study 12
They don't count the reception year in most cases, so generally it's 7 years primary school that they count.

Hope that helps, best of luck.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:43 am
Just Joined

johnnyk.kennedy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Either by obtaining a job offer, or returning to education to gain more points for that would probably be your best bets. What is your job?

Why do you have to go via a SW visa? If you don't qualify, then why not consider another route? How about Bunac as you're under 30 - it only gets you there for a year, but it's a start and then hopefully you could get your employer to give you that all important permanent job offer once you've proved yourself. Or returning to study in Canada? If you've ever wanted to do a diploma or degree, then why not do it there. Or which province do you want to go to? Have you considered the PNP programs?

There are so many different options (around 50 routes to a visa) that it seems madness to spend ages trying to get the extra points needed for a SW visa if there is another route open to you.

Yes, you can include her education. You don't have to be married for that either, if you've lived together for a year or more then she'd qualify as your common-law partner and you can claim her points and take her with you on a SW visa. And do double check that she can't be the principle applicant, just in case she qualifies as a SW.

They don't count the reception year in most cases, so generally it's 7 years primary school that they count.

Hope that helps, best of luck.
thank you for your message. unfort i dont qualify for the 12 month visa. here in ireland usit equiv to bunac have a requirement stating that i must not have lived outside ireland for more than 4 years which i have, so i cant apply. otherwise that for me was my no.1 option.

pnp programs require companies to sponsor me/prov/states? based on today i dont think that is ever gonna happen.

i work as a IT manager. so common law partner seems the best option i think cos i will get 5 points by just putting her on the application no?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Some people started school at 4 years old others 5 years of age so how do they determine the points here?
|f you go by the years that are numbered now in secondary schools you can work it out, ie, if you leave school after GCSEs (or the former GCEs) you have 11 years (because you take them in year 11); if you leave after two years of A levels straight after GCSEs you have 13 years.