Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

I know this question has been asked before but ....

I know this question has been asked before but ....

Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Karen1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura about
Default I know this question has been asked before but ....

Really sorry - I have searched here, and I am dumb, didn't understand some of the terminology and this has caused a major argument in my house (my husband is Canadian and I am British, he is insistent that just to go shopping in the US I don't need anything other than my passport and PR card - I am not so sure that the PR card counts for anything on the US border) The office is closed now - can anyone give me a straightforward answer? I am a Permanent Resident of Canada and I am British (English) Citizen with a standard EU Passport. We are planning on going on a shopping trip across the Queenston/Lewiston Bridge this weekend if we haven't got divorced by then - do I require anything other than my passport/PR card i.e. do I need an ETSA? Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by Karen1203; Feb 14th 2012 at 9:02 pm. Reason: changed Lewisham to Lewiston!!!
Old Feb 14th 2012, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know this question has been asked before but ....

You will need to apply for the I94 waiver at the POE which costs 6 bucks and a lot cheaper than a divorce
Old Feb 14th 2012, 9:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You would need to get the I94W card on entry to the US at the minimum, b

The I94W can be kind of a pain on its own if its a busy day at the office and you have no US cash...

ESTA is only for airline travel I think
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=678568
Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

CanadianTash is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you have the fee in US dollars as every time we have been over the border they are very insistant on this the first time we went thankfully someone in our family had some otherwise I'm not sure what the outcome would have been.

I'm glad you posted this because once my hubby gets pr I was curios if we still had to get the 'visa' to the US that he has got in the past.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 1:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Some stations now accept credit cards, otherwise they will point you towards a nearby ATM is you get them on a good day.....

Having some US cash on hand when travelling over the border is a good idea anyway...
Old Feb 17th 2012, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Karen1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks all very much for the answer and for the tips - will be taking US cash with us.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 1:56 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

We have been over twice recently, the last time on 5th Feb to activate our PR and they accepted our credit card for the I94 payment quite happily.

We were not aware that this document lasts for 90 days, so you don't need a new one every time you go over as long as it is within the 90 days.

We only found this out as we had been over on 5th November and then went again on 5th Feb and they told us we were just a day outside the 90 days and so we needed a new one!
If we had realised, we would have gone the day before instead
Old Feb 21st 2012, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks - yes they did tell me that I could use the card for multiple entries until the 19th May. The trip was really successful and it was a lot less hassle than I'd anticipated. The customs officers were very nice to me at the US border and coming back into Canada which I unfortunately I haven't ever experienced when flying into Canada!
Old Feb 21st 2012, 5:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by helcat12
We have been over twice recently, the last time on 5th Feb to activate our PR and they accepted our credit card for the I94 payment quite happily.

We were not aware that this document lasts for 90 days, so you don't need a new one every time you go over as long as it is within the 90 days.

We only found this out as we had been over on 5th November and then went again on 5th Feb and they told us we were just a day outside the 90 days and so we needed a new one!
If we had realised, we would have gone the day before instead
So had you failed to return the green card to them too? They get all pissy about that. There is some address in kentucky (IIRC) you can mail them to if there isnt some handy US immigration officer nearby.

It was always a lottery with me whether to hold on to it in case I might be back in the states soon, or whether to hand it back on re-entry to canada in order to avoid the hassle of having to return it later...
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:21 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
So had you failed to return the green card to them too? They get all pissy about that. There is some address in kentucky (IIRC) you can mail them to if there isnt some handy US immigration officer nearby.

It was always a lottery with me whether to hold on to it in case I might be back in the states soon, or whether to hand it back on re-entry to canada in order to avoid the hassle of having to return it later...
No, I didn't return it to them as didn't know I was supposed to - I wasn't necessarily intending to go back as soon as we did and no-one told me that they would need it again
However, my OH had his still in his passport so he was OK and the Border guard was very nice to me and just said to pop it in when we were next going over the border.

I seem to be lucky with border agents - never had a "pissy" one!
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:26 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Karen1203
Thanks - yes they did tell me that I could use the card for multiple entries until the 19th May. The trip was really successful and it was a lot less hassle than I'd anticipated. The customs officers were very nice to me at the US border and coming back into Canada which I unfortunately I haven't ever experienced when flying into Canada!
Glad it all went well for you.