Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

I just don't know what to do - anyone got a crystal ball?

I just don't know what to do - anyone got a crystal ball?

Old Jan 5th 2009, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

DearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really nice
Default I just don't know what to do - anyone got a crystal ball?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you can help me. My partner and I came over on a Bunac about 8 weeks ago to British Columbia. We are not skilled workers. I have been looking for ways for us to stay.

The entry-level BC PNP should be the way forward I guess, but for that I would have to go into food and beverage/hospo really. I started work in a shop as soon as we got here and I have been offered the manager's position which has benefits and a good wage etc etc.

What do I do?! As a retail manager I can't get PR and I can't get BC PNP. I'm not even sure the company would get an LMO for me to get a TWP for when my Bunac runs out. The other thing is my partner. His company are willing to apply for an LMO so he can get TWP when our year is up, but what if that doesn't happen? There is no way he can get BC PNP.

I really think trying to get something on the entry-level BC PNP scheme is the way to go but I seriously would love the opportunity of running a shop in Canada.

What do I do, peeps? Toss a coin probably!!!

Thanks in advance! xxx
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I just don't know what to do - anyone got a crystal ball?

Quick question - why do you think you can't apply for PR as a retail manager?
Old Jan 6th 2009, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

DearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really nice

Hey,

Happy New Year!

Unfortunately, Retail Manager isn't on the skilled list to get PR that way. It isn't on any bloody list!! Wrong career, methinks!

Although I'm not sure if it changes things me already living and working in Canada. It might be a little different if I was applying from the UK. You know, I'm paying MSP, getting a driving licence, payingrent etc etc so I've already integrated in Canadian society.

Do you have any ideas?!

I have to make my decision by tomorrow!!

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Old Jan 6th 2009, 2:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DearAlly
Unfortunately, Retail Manager isn't on the skilled list to get PR that way. It isn't on any bloody list!! Wrong career, methinks!
Erm.....methinks you have misunderstood things! You only need to have a job on 'the list' of 38 occupations OR to have a job offer in a skilled occupation to qualify as a Skilled Worker. You appear to have the latter as Retail Managers are Skill Level O on the NOC list so they qualify as Skilled Workers - and you have a job offer.

So I believe you can apply for PR via SW visa with arranged employment. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...employment.asp

Edited to add: that it appears you can apply for PNP as well............http://www.aved.gov.bc.ca/provincial...ledworkers.htm

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 6th 2009 at 2:41 am.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Erm.....methinks you have misunderstood things! You only need to have a job on 'the list' of 38 occupations OR to have a job offer in a skilled occupation to qualify as a Skilled Worker. You appear to have the latter as Retail Managers are Skill Level O on the NOC list so they qualify as Skilled Workers - and you have a job offer.

So I believe you can apply for PR via SW visa with arranged employment. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...employment.asp

Edited to add: that it appears you can apply for PNP as well............http://www.aved.gov.bc.ca/provincial...ledworkers.htm
To add to that, if you are applying for PR under FSW after working for 1 year in Canada, you can do that as well, without being on the list of 38.

Ray
Old Jan 6th 2009, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Hey all,

Thanks so so much for your answers. I have read so much over the past 2 months!

I did read on the BC PNP website:

I read the following on the PNP website:

Examples of eligible middle and other management occupations

Accommodation services manager
marketing manager
production manager
research director
software development manager

Examples of ineligible occupations

Managers in social and community services
public administration
retail trade

But I can't find this page now so maybe, just maybe something has changed!!!!

I will look further!!!!!!!1

Thanks so so much,

Emma xxx
Old Jan 6th 2009, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Seriously, I think I am going mental because I cut and pasted that reference from the BC PNP website and used it in a previous thread, but now I can't find it anywhere on the website. I know it was there, but like I said they may have changed things.

In that case - my God I have to take the job!!!

I might just email to double check!

Thanks so much you guys!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

You wouldn't be applying under PNP though - so irrelevant...

TAKE THE JOB!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

You know what, I might just do that!!

Yay, oh the joys of having medical benefits!!!!

Thanks so much everyone. Now I'm going to start researching FSW route. Great, loads more reading but very exciting.

I take it my employers still have to apply for an LMO??

Thanks all. The snow is actually melting here today - I have been laughing at my Dad complaining about how cold the UK is at present!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx