I have no idea where to start!

Old Jan 24th 2010, 2:17 am
Just Joined

neil_uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have no idea where to start!

I'm beginning to think that moving to Canada is going to remain just a dream the more information i read the more baffled I get, and the more it sound unfeasible.

I'm self employed and run a home based web design and computer support/repairs business, which I have been doing for 12yrs. The downside is that my only qualifications are a few GSCEs, and a level I and II in Information Technology. I am currently studying towards a diploma in natural sciences.

On the positive side, I do have around 130k to take over there (mostly in property). And also my girlfriend has a nephew who is a permanent resident living there, who is also willing to allow us to stay for a few months on his property.

I just don’t know what to do! Are there any visas that I could be accepted for? Do I continue with my further education, or try to find another job….. I’m just going round in circles – my head is a mess!

I’ve set myself a 3yr period (I’ll then be 40yrs old) to realize this dream. Sorry for venting!
Old Jan 24th 2010, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I have no idea where to start!

Have a read through this:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp
Old Jan 24th 2010, 6:02 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

hi, have you considered the CI route, there are a couple of provinces that do this, if you are not able to go down the FSW route...
Old Jan 24th 2010, 7:16 am
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Where does your nephew live?

Have you taken the test to see if you are eligible to apply as a skilled worked?
Old Jan 30th 2010, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info... sorry for such a late reply.

My gf's nephew lives in Alberta. I'm self employed in IT at the moment, but as I don't hold a 'professional' qualification - I don't seem to qualify for the skilled worker route.

So, it seems family sponsorship could be my best bet?

I'm not sure what CI is?

Last edited by neil_uk; Jan 30th 2010 at 1:13 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 8:11 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil_uk
Thanks for the info... sorry for such a late reply.

My gf's nephew lives in Alberta. I'm self employed in IT at the moment, but as I don't hold a 'professional' qualification - I don't seem to qualify for the skilled worker route.

So, it seems family sponsorship could be my best bet?

I'm not sure what CI is?
CI is the community identified stream (do a search on the WIKI for it for a full explanation).
Have just checked the WIKI myself for family class sponsorship, I am pretty sure that aunts / uncles cannot be sponsored so your nephew wouldn't be able to help

Heres the link to the family class info http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Family...gration-Canada
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

My gf's nephew lives in Alberta.
What is his status there (citizen, PR or just there on a temp visa) and how long has he lived there?

As you'll have seen from the Wiki and CIC website, a nephew cannot sponsor under federal Family Class, however, Alberta is one of only 3 provinces that allow a nephew to sponsor an aunt, so you may just be lucky assuming he meets the criteria. If he does, and is willing to sponsor you (and you and your girlfriend are common law partners), then you and your girlfriend would be get Permanent Residency.

that may be an option for you. Good luck.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Hi, he's been there quite a few years now, and became a full citizen 3 years ago. He's even volunteered his converted basement for us to live in till we find a suitable house to buy.

So, things might not be so bad after all
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, he's been there quite a few years now, and became a full citizen 3 years ago. He's even volunteered his converted basement for us to live in till we find a suitable house to buy.

So, things might not be so bad after all
That's great. Check out the AINP website then and hopefully that will be a way to go for you. Good luck.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 10:15 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't you eligible for an investment visa too if you have over $100,000 CAD to invest?
Old Jan 31st 2010, 10:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Aren't you eligible for an investment visa too if you have over $100,000 CAD to invest?
No, bit more than that! You need a net worth of $800,000 for an investor visa, $400k of which has to be invested.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 10:23 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No, bit more than that! You need a net worth of $800,000 for an investor visa, $400k of which has to be invested.
Ahh, well that's me out then.

That's quite a lot, I think it's only $500,000 for an investment visa for the USA, but I think there may also be other pre-conditions to meet in that case.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 10:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Ahh, well that's me out then.

That's quite a lot, I think it's only $500,000 for an investment visa for the USA, but I think there may also be other pre-conditions to meet in that case.
Plus you're not guaranteed to get the money back with the US - if the investment fails, you lost that $500k. Whereas with Canada, you're guaranteed to get the money back after a few years, albeit without interest.

Old Jan 31st 2010, 10:27 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Plus you're not guaranteed to get the money back with the US - if the investment fails, you lost that $500k. Whereas with Canada, you're guaranteed to get the money back after a few years, albeit without interest.

Oh that is pretty awesome then actually.

Shame I don't have anywhere near that amount of money unfortunately. Maybe one day though, if I'm really lucky.