Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

I have just Landed in Toronto-dilemma

I have just Landed in Toronto-dilemma

Old Feb 15th 2005, 1:50 am
ibi
Just Joined

ibi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have just Landed in Toronto-dilemma

Dear all;
I have just landed in Toronto three days ago with my wife, 3 yrs son and 2 yrs daughter. My wife is 8 month pregnant and she is supposed to deliver a baby next month. I have applied for a health insurance and there is a three months waiting period before your health insurance is effective. Next month when my wife delivers the baby she would not be covered by insurance and as a result we would pay 10,000 Canadian dollars for the hospital that she would deliver in.
I have also inquired about buying a private insurance plan and all the private insurance plans don’t cover a pre-existing healthconditions such as pregnancy and delivery.
I am stuck right now and there is no way on earth that I can pay 10,000 dollars for having my wife deliver in a hospital.

I need an urgent recommendation/advice please on how to deal with that dilemma. Your help is appreciated.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I have just Landed in Toronto-dilemma

If you dont want to pay, then I guess there could be no option other than to do it yourself at home.

Originally Posted by ibi
Dear all;
I have just landed in Toronto three days ago with my wife, 3 yrs son and 2 yrs daughter. My wife is 8 month pregnant and she is supposed to deliver a baby next month. I have applied for a health insurance and there is a three months waiting period before your health insurance is effective. Next month when my wife delivers the baby she would not be covered by insurance and as a result we would pay 10,000 Canadian dollars for the hospital that she would deliver in.
I have also inquired about buying a private insurance plan and all the private insurance plans don’t cover a pre-existing healthconditions such as pregnancy and delivery.
I am stuck right now and there is no way on earth that I can pay 10,000 dollars for having my wife deliver in a hospital.

I need an urgent recommendation/advice please on how to deal with that dilemma. Your help is appreciated.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 2:19 am
Just Joined

beavis is an unknown quantity at this point

In Canada, the hospitals will not turn you away just because you do not have money.

You have 3 options :

1). Go to your local community center. They have clinics there who take care of people who are not covered by a health plan.
2). You can apply to ministry of health to waive the 3 month waiting period. Very unlikely they will, but it's worth a try. Go to Ministry of Health (where you applied for a health card) and ask them what options you have.
3). Even if you do end up paying the $10,000, it will not be in one shot. The hospital will let your wife deliver, and you can pay them in monthly installments such as $50 a month etc.

Don't get worried. Ask Ministry of Health first, then your local community center and then finally the hospital.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

Originally Posted by ibi
Dear all;

I would say fly home and then return later, but isn't there a limit (number of weeks pregnant) at which an airline won't let somebody fly?
Old Feb 15th 2005, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

bhalerao is on a distinguished road

Ooooooooooh boy,

I dont think that is good decision. Although no personal experience but I second on the suggestions given by one of the forum members that was quite informative.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

RushTech is an unknown quantity at this point

I am glad I read this post, I will have to replan my landing. our baby is due in August. we will be landing in May. that gives us exactly 3 months. but if the baby is born early then we are in deep trouble.

Good luck
Old Feb 15th 2005, 2:51 am
ibi
Just Joined

Be Careful then
Good lUck
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:01 am
ibi
Just Joined

Hello;
when I went to the ministry of health to apply for the health insurance card in toronto, I have been told by the manager that if I am a conventional refugee, then I can get an exemption from paying the delivery cost. I am a palestinian refugee and I was born in a refugee camp in Gaza Strip. Does that help the immigration canada in providing me with a document that proves that I am a conventional refugee
Thank you
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:09 am
London, UK

newlooks is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I think that if u r immigrated to Canada as skilled worker then u r not refugee regardless that u were born in refugee camp.

My wife is also expecting a baby during the first week of May 05 and I am still waiting for passport request. I contacted the health authorities in canada to do some home work.

The other option u have to go for midwife and have home delivery rather than going to Hospital. I am planning to land in Mississauga, ON so i contacted the midwifes in Mississauga and unfortunately they are all booked until oct 2005. They told me that they will ask a deposit of $1000 and if everything goes ok with delivery at home they will return the money and wont charge any thing. They use this advance if soemthing goes wrong and they have to take woman to hospital

here is the link

http://www.aom.on.ca/

please let me know how it goes and i need ur guidence in this regards as well

Good luck

Regards

Newlooks

Originally Posted by ibi
Hello;
when I went to the ministry of health to apply for the health insurance card in toronto, I have been told by the manager that if I am a conventional refugee, then I can get an exemption from paying the delivery cost. I am a palestinian refugee and I was born in a refugee camp in Gaza Strip. Does that help the immigration canada in providing me with a document that proves that I am a conventional refugee
Thank you
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RushTech
I am glad I read this post, I will have to replan my landing. our baby is due in August. we will be landing in May. that gives us exactly 3 months. but if the baby is born early then we are in deep trouble.

Good luck
Too late in Ibi's case, but have you considered landing in a province that doesn't have a 3 month exclusion period? Manitoba allows you to register immediately for example if you are a PR arriving from abroad...

http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/mhsip/index.html#new2Canada
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:24 am
ibi
Just Joined

I will let you know what happens
thanx
Originally Posted by newlooks
Hi,

I think that if u r immigrated to Canada as skilled worker then u r not refugee regardless that u were born in refugee camp.

My wife is also expecting a baby during the first week of May 05 and I am still waiting for passport request. I contacted the health authorities in canada to do some home work.

The other option u have to go for midwife and have home delivery rather than going to Hospital. I am planning to land in Mississauga, ON so i contacted the midwifes in Mississauga and unfortunately they are all booked until oct 2005. They told me that they will ask a deposit of $1000 and if everything goes ok with delivery at home they will return the money and wont charge any thing. They use this advance if soemthing goes wrong and they have to take woman to hospital

here is the link

http://www.aom.on.ca/

please let me know how it goes and i need ur guidence in this regards as well

Good luck

Regards

Newlooks
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:26 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Simple solution is to move to one of the provinces without the three month wait for provincial coverage. Dont think where you landed matters, you can move straight away. Who knows, maybe you'll like Alberta?
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:30 am
London, UK

newlooks is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Biiiiink,

Thanks for the useful link. So i better start thinking of landing in Manitoba if i get the visa before the baby is born . But the think is that i lived in Mississauga/toronto area for 4 years and i have alot of friends and it will be easy for me to get temp accomodation. Any idea what is the price range for studio/one bed in winnipeg, manitoba.

Regards

newlooks

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Too late in Ibi's case, but have you considered landing in a province that doesn't have a 3 month exclusion period? Manitoba allows you to register immediately for example if you are a PR arriving from abroad...

http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/mhsip/index.html#new2Canada
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Simple solution is to move to one of the provinces without the three month wait for provincial coverage. Dont think where you landed matters, you can move straight away. Who knows, maybe you'll like Alberta?
But if you've applied elsewhere already like Ibi has, they won't accept you. You need to make the non-3mth-wait province your first port of call or else it's a non-starter (so said the friendly lady at Manitoba to me anyway )

B
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:31 am
ibi
Just Joined

Thank you for your replay. How far is Manitoba from Toronto"
THanx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.